The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small and fast zoom?

Rawfa

Does anyone out there know about a small and fast zoom to go with the E-P1? As usuall the catch is that I don't want to pay much.

PeterB666

There is certainly a maket for such a lens even if it only comes with a modest zoom range. Say a 20-40mm f/2.8 constant aperture or a 17-35.

Of course a f/2 zoom would be even better but I don't think such a lens could be made too compact.

Small, fast and low cost are not likely to be the most compatable set of design criteria, but one can only hope.

P.S. It should also have mechanical manual focus.

Rawfa

I had checked both lenses before but they're far from small. I was thinking about the Zuiko 14-54mm because it also allows for AF, but it's not small either.

kweide

Just mounted the 7-14 on E-P1. Boy what a monstercombi....
I would really like a small lens on that machine..But a FAST zoom in small size, i dont think it is possible. Now searching for fast primes :)

Last edited:

JBurnett

A small, fast zoom would be welcome. I don't think there is such a thing currently.

Lens design always involves compromises. I suspect that ONE way to keep the size of such a lens down would be to reduce the zoom range to, say, 3x. I'd be very happy with an f/2.8 or f/2.8-3.5 of 12-35, 17-50, 35-100.

Diane B

A small, fast zoom would be welcome. I don't think there is such a thing currently.

Lens design always involves compromises. I suspect that ONE way to keep the size of such a lens down would be to reduce the zoom range to, say, 3x. I'd be very happy with an f/2.8 or f/2.8-3.5 of 12-35, 17-50, 35-100.
I'd love the f/2.8-3.5 12-35.

Diane

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
The canon FD f3.5-f4.5 36-70mm macro zoom is quite small on the EP-1, even with adapter. That may not be fast enough for you, but it is very cheap.

The Pentax 110 20-40 f2.8 is probably as small as you will find.But you have to make your own adapter (see threads on this forum)
Not sure about availability and price on this lens now, because m4/3 people have started to buy them. But it is f2.8 only - no aperture adjustment.

Here is a picture using a partially completed adapter.

Keith