The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

losing the love?

D

ddk

David,
I do like shooting the Pen like a compact but there are times when I really would like an EVF and hold it eye level. With a pancake lens this could a very slimline which is a form factor that I do like. If the GF1 has a removable EVF it can be used both ways. I agree, with the viewfinder it won't be that much different than the G1/GH1.

I will have a 2 body m4/3 system. I only have the GH1 because of a fluke in timing as I wasn't expecting it until September after a GF1 announcement. After the announcement I figured I would have time to cancel the GH1 order if the GF1 was compelling. But I must say that I did want the 14-140 lens and getting the kit is really the only way to get it in the US right now.

So for now I have too much gear but I will sort it all out and sell some bits off in the coming weeks.

Did your GH1 arrive?
Nah, how can you ever have too much gear :D. I'm supposed to be getting mine next week, unfortunately at the same time as the GRD, so one has to sit around for a while until I get finished testing the other one.

L

Lupo

The worst thing about my E-P1 is its bulky housing.

With pancake it is ok, a little too hard perhaps. But it is a larger lens, it makes no fun anymore.

I have to wear them with a belt or pocket. Where the advantage is to G1? :wtf:

OK, with a small standard lens makes them pretty good!

Paratom

For my taste the GH1 is the most interesting.
First of all I feel for such a camera a lens with a nice range (like the 14-140) makes totally sense.
The flippable display, the EFV, the faster AF, the flash, are all pluses compared to the E-P1. Plus I prefer the ruberized finish/grip.
Another advantage is that the GH1 IS works for Video but the E-P1 only has electronic IS when shooting video (is this correct?)
Main advantages of the E-P1 are size and style and maybe price. But than the E-P1 isnt really small/or a pocket camera either.

But I have to agree that its still a in between camera.
For me a SLR or good optical viewfinder is much prefered to any EVF.
And if we talk about a "small" camera for me it could be max. as big as a Sigma dp1/dp2.
Now if you see it as a cobined photo&video-camera the GH1 is great. If one wanted to just have a midsized camera for photo I wonder if a 4/3 SLR Oly 420/520 wouldnt be the better choice.

pellicle

Hi

I have to admit, I'm pondering selling the E-P1. ...
*sigh* I would rhetorically ask, "am I nuts?"
sometimes one has to jump in and see ... it often is the only way. If you sell it for a $200 loss (which I doubt knowing eBay) then its been cheaper than rental ... right?

but if you then buy another because you miss it ... well then I'll laugh and say your nuts

:ROTFL:

what lens are you using on it? Perhaps fix on something really snug like the D-LUX has and see if that makes it better? I still like my Olympus trip 35 even though it doesn't have a zoom (although my main reason is for when I'm on multi day ski outings in -10 or less. My beard and my batteries may freeze, but my Oly keeps taking pictures ...

although this was taken with my 10D before the last of 3 batteries died after just 20 images and cycling in my pockets

Brian Mosley

I have to admit, I'm pondering selling the E-P1. I have this odd relationship going on with it. I bought it specifically because it was a "middle ground" between the DLux4 and Pentax. But I find myself frustrated because it isn't as portable as the DLux4, and doesn't give me the files I can get out of the K20d.
Hi nostatic,

IQ wise, do you feel limited by the sensor of the E-P1, or is it the lenses you're using? What raw converter do you use? do you have examples of images from your K20d which exceed the IQ of the E-P1?

There's the next crop of P&S cameras coming through to consider - the Canon S90 could give you more IQ in the DLux4 size... I think the E-P1 form factor will remain for a while - the GF1 is almost identical in size.

Cheers

Brian

Diane B

Hi nostatic,

.. I think the E-P1 form factor will remain for a while - the GF1 is almost identical in size.

Brian

I like the form factor also. I was very torn about not buying the E-P1 when I tried it, but knew that I had had issues with shooting with only an LCD with the G9-which is what lead me originally to the G1. I'm on a wait and see basis now but think the GF1 or something similar would be a very nice second m4/3rds for me because I could go either way--BUT---those who like the 14-140 (and I hadn't thought I would) make me wonder about notj just going with the GH!. Too many decisions LOL--I'm going to have to let it all settle out this Fall before deciding.

Diane

nostatic

Hi nostatic,

IQ wise, do you feel limited by the sensor of the E-P1, or is it the lenses you're using? What raw converter do you use? do you have examples of images from your K20d which exceed the IQ of the E-P1?

There's the next crop of P&S cameras coming through to consider - the Canon S90 could give you more IQ in the DLux4 size... I think the E-P1 form factor will remain for a while - the GF1 is almost identical in size.

Cheers

Brian
Hi Brian,

Well, I have the kit zoom (very sharp but slow) and the 17/2.8 (less sharp, faster but still slow). I do a lot of low light shots (eg the ones posted at the top though my g/f took them) and there is a pretty big difference in "quality" between the E-P1/14-42 and K20d/43/1.9. I would expect there to be, and in many cases I can not only live with it, but I sometimes prefer the grain that the Oly gives. I generally despise zooms, but frankly the kit zoom is incredibly sharp and contrasty.

I tried using RawDeveloper last night to compare to an in-camer jpg. Aperture doesn't yet support the Oly. I was a little surprised to see that the in-camera jpg was about as good as what I was seeing for the default E-P1 profile in RD.

So the reality is can't really fault the quality of the images. I would like faster glass, a little snappier AF (my DLux4 beats it), and to be able to train my mind to not bring the camera to my eye to frame. It is weird because I never do it with the DLux4. It must be something about a size/weight threshold and force of habit.

The other thing is it may just be the usual, "I wanna try something different." I do with there was a small AF lens that was f1.8...