The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why are so many people selling E-P1?

J

Johannes01

If you buy a E-P1 ,i'm sure, you'll soon sell it. Because there will be another great one, plenty of choices, isn't it?

sagar

Not necessarily this is the reason. For example I have never seen such a fast and so many sells with Canon G10 or panasonic lx3

If you buy a E-P1 ,i'm sure, you'll soon sell it. Because there will be another great one, plenty of choices, isn't it?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I hope the market floods with Pens.
I have one coming in this weekend with 750 frames on it for $375.00.
How sweet it is......
Shooter

pellicle

How sweet it is......
Shooter
you mean you have an E-P1 coming for that ... (I was wondering how you verify the amount of shots a 35mm Pen had taken??)

bloody nora ... I'll have to haunt ebay ... how did you get that?

Rawfa

How sweet it is......
Shooter
Holy macro! That is just way too cheap! I don't want to get you worried but I think it's TOO cheap. I would be very suspicious.

Rawfa

As an early adopter my self and a dreamer of the mythical day when a DSLR and compacts will merge I have to say I am disappointed with the E-P1 in the sense that I’ve thought I would REALLY get a DSLR quality on a compact. Like it was said here many times it’s all personal, it’s about how do you work, what do you use it for, what do you expect, what type of compromises you can or cannot do. I’ve learned to live with the E-P1’s limitations but I’m not happy with them and I KNOW I will eventually sell it for a camera that can REALLY offer that a DSLR can offer on a compact body (may the Samsung NX system).

Terry

As an early adopter my self and a dreamer of the mythical day when a DSLR and compacts will merge I have to say I am disappointed with the E-P1 in the sense that I’ve thought I would REALLY get a DSLR quality on a compact. Like it was said here many times it’s all personal, it’s about how do you work, what do you use it for, what do you expect, what type of compromises you can or cannot do. I’ve learned to live with the E-P1’s limitations but I’m not happy with them and I KNOW I will eventually sell it for a camera that can REALLY offer that a DSLR can offer on a compact body (may the Samsung NX system).
I don't really understand what you mean here. In terms of image quality, there is no difference between what the Pen offers from a dslr. It has the same sensor as a dslr and can use the same lenses. If it is ergonomics, I get it that without a viewfinder one doesn't shoot it the same way. What does waiting for the Samsung NX do that the Panasonic G1 or GH1 doesn't do, given they are essentially the same form factor?

Diane B

Hi

again I am left scratching my head as why the Panasonic G1 isn't in there. Just goes to show that you shouldn't ask me to pick a winner in sales.
I'm guessing the reason is that most people aren't buying the G1 through Amazon (notice I said 'guessing' LOL). Since this is only a reflection of the sales made there, then sales made other places won't show up. I would bet maybe none of the G1s of owners on this forum were bought at Amazon---maybe a few, but relatively few. I admit I rarely even think of Amazon when I buy camera gear--though I know many others do. If I'm going to buy from a 3rd party anyhow, I'd rather go to the source.

Diane

PeterB666

I have been looking for 17mm Olympus lenses on eBay so have been looking at the E-P1 kits also on sale.

While I have noticed about 1 or 2 week from private sellers, the rest are institutional sellers and most for more than the listed price. Much more in some cases. The genuine ones that have sold have usually fetched at least 90% of typical store selling prices which is fair enough.

monza

The E-P1s on ebay from dealers are usually at higher than list in order to cover ebay/paypal fees. The margins are so skinny on these items that to sell them on ebay at retail price eats up almost all the profit.

PS>There are 17mm lenses in the classifieds here. :)

Rawfa

I don't really understand what you mean here. In terms of image quality, there is no difference between what the Pen offers from a dslr. It has the same sensor as a dslr and can use the same lenses. If it is ergonomics, I get it that without a viewfinder one doesn't shoot it the same way. What does waiting for the Samsung NX do that the Panasonic G1 or GH1 doesn't do, given they are essentially the same form factor?
It doesn’t have the same sensor as a DSLR at all. The sensor is considerably smaller. In fact it's smaller than the DP1's.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I guess it depends on which DSLR you are comparing too. The G1 / GH1 / E-P1 all have the same sized sensor as the Four-Thirds DSLRs, such as the E-3, E-620, etc.

The DP1 / DP2 are nearly the same size (just a tad smaller) as the Canon APS-C sensors, and a tad larger than the Four-Thirds sensors.

Terry

Rawfa - I will echo what Mike just posted. I don't really think the experience between a 4/3 sensor and the APS-C sized sensor is going to have an impact on your photography.

If you read the reviews, the latest versions of the 4/3 sensors hold up very well versus the larger APS-C sized. Will you have a bit more depth of field flexibility, yes but I don't see that as a big factor in the types of shots you've posted.

Diane B

Rawfa - I will echo what Mike just posted. I don't really think the experience between a 4/3 sensor and the APS-C sized sensor is going to have an impact on your photography.

If you read the reviews, the latest versions of the 4/3 sensors hold up very well versus the larger APS-C sized. Will you have a bit more depth of field flexibility, yes but I don't see that as a big factor in the types of shots you've posted.
I don't have an E-P1, but do have a 5D and 2 APS-C bodies and Canon G9--and a G1. I have shot with a 5D for almost 4 years, bought the G1 in January. I've done a lot of printing and comparing since then and for most of my shooting, I can't see much compromise unless I print at 16 x 24. When I print with a lot of detail at that level, esp. if its landscape, I found that a 2 over 2 pano works just fine.

The major difference I see is in VERY shallow DOF with very fast lenses wise open. I don't shoot like that all the time--in fact I generally stop down a bit with the 5D even for that shooting. I've found with fast lenses on the G1, I'm generally satisfied for the type image I am working towards. For now, we're rather shortchanged on fast primes unless one goes with the 25 f/1.4 or uses MF lenses, but that will change, I feel sure.

Where the DSLR excels (and not my style of shooting) is quite fast shots--sports, some street shooting I would guess, maybe some birds in air and the like. None of those make any difference to me, so the m4/3rds doesn't impact my shooting in any way in that regard.

So--my conclusion was that the sensor size only impacts (for me) when I wish to print very large with a lot of detail or want a very very shallow DOF. (I won't say that I don't see a bit of difference in DR between my m4/3rds and FF, but I doubt that others do).

Diane

sagar

Very true Diane and I think everyone should really think cameras from the prospective of its use. I did a big mistake few years back of migrating from P&S Canon S50 to DSLRs that nearly killed my photography. Reason, my most of my shots were kind of street photography in busy places of cities...I just couldn't use DSLR any more.

After a months of ride on different DLSRs mostly due to (miss)conceptions about censor, pixel peeping and image quality I am finally settling down on m43 and Ricoh GRD. After loosing years of photography I found my "needs and gears"

I don't have an E-P1, but do have a 5D and 2 APS-C bodies and Canon G9--and a G1. I have shot with a 5D for almost 4 years, bought the G1 in January. I've done a lot of printing and comparing since then and for most of my shooting, I can't see much compromise unless I print at 16 x 24. When I print with a lot of detail at that level, esp. if its landscape, I found that a 2 over 2 pano works just fine.

The major difference I see is in VERY shallow DOF with very fast lenses wise open. I don't shoot like that all the time--in fact I generally stop down a bit with the 5D even for that shooting. I've found with fast lenses on the G1, I'm generally satisfied for the type image I am working towards. For now, we're rather shortchanged on fast primes unless one goes with the 25 f/1.4 or uses MF lenses, but that will change, I feel sure.

Where the DSLR excels (and not my style of shooting) is quite fast shots--sports, some street shooting I would guess, maybe some birds in air and the like. None of those make any difference to me, so the m4/3rds doesn't impact my shooting in any way in that regard.

So--my conclusion was that the sensor size only impacts (for me) when I wish to print very large with a lot of detail or want a very very shallow DOF. (I won't say that I don't see a bit of difference in DR between my m4/3rds and FF, but I doubt that others do).

Diane

pellicle

It doesn’t have the same sensor as a DSLR at all. The sensor is considerably smaller. In fact it's smaller than the DP1's.
well geeze mate ... the DP1 is 20.7 x 13.8 mm and the EP1 is 18 x 13.5 so we'd be splitting hairs on that call especially since its a different aspect ratio.

On to the differences in size well cutting out the confusion of irrelevant comparisons with medium format its more like this...

which I'd call marginally smaller. Since Olympus makes Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras making use of the same size I'd say it is DSLR quality in a compact body. I haven't held a E-P1 but I'm sure (based on my G1) its not much different to a 35mm like the Olympus Trip ... which is a compact camera.

and you still haven't posted any substantiation to your issues with focus and image quality. I can say without doubt that my G1 knocks off my EOS 10D and that is a DSLR which was highly regarded.... so while the E-P1 may not match a 5D MkII or Full Frame DSLR neither do they match stuff like the Hassleblad.

Rawfa

Like I said before this is a personal opinion that relates to each persons' work and preferences. I'm not here to convince anyone not to buy this camera or to be convinced that the camera is good or bad. I've been using it for a while and that is my final personal opinion. Other than that there ARE a substantial number of people selling their E-P1's (not only on this forum but many others) and a substantial number of reviews complaining about noise and latitude (not to mention AF). I've really got to a point where I just prefer to simply enjoy the camera for what it is instead of getting hung up on it's flaws (at least until what I really want comes along).

Terry

Like I said before this is a personal opinion that relates to each persons' work and preferences. I'm not here to convince anyone not to buy this camera or to be convinced that the camera is good or bad. I've been using it for a while and that is my final personal opinion. Other than that there ARE a substantial number of people selling their E-P1's (not only on this forum but many others) and a substantial number of reviews complaining about noise and latitude (not to mention AF). I've really got to a point where I just prefer to simply enjoy the camera for what it is instead of getting hung up on it's flaws (at least until what I really want comes along).
I don't think anyone here was trying to tell you to keep vs. sell the Pen and nobody was extolling its virtues. I think a few of us were reacting to your thought that an APS-C sized sensor was going to give you a vastly different experience. A different manufacturers processing engine will be far more important than a minor change in sensor size was the gist of a number of responses.