With this setup I was able to obtain good results with b&w negatives and reasonable from positive "slide" film.
In a nutshell, I noticed this:
- The camera must be colour balanced for the light source, even though it is supposed to be daylight. I used the standard D80 auto colour temp setting and that produced the most pleasing colour balance, matching the original. Didn't record what the actual colour temp setting was.
- The diffused light source gets rid of most if not all scratches, imperfections and other surface defects of the film. Including most drying marks. No need for the infra-red d-Ice of the scanners and that won't work with b&w negatives anyway.
- Grain is less noticeable than in a film scanner. This might be a consequence of the next point.
- 10mpx is waaaaay too low for the definition I'm used to getting from my film scanners. It however produces perfectly acceptable "scans" from slides and b&w, at that definition.
- Getting the framing just right is fiddly with my setup and takes a long time.
- Flatness was not a problem, but field curvature from the lens was. Hard to focus precisely, mostly because the focus point changed slightly as I closed down the iris. I ended up using the lens wide open, with slightly less sharp results than I could get if I spent the time to get precise focus at smaller apertures: it took less time that way. Not sure if this focusing problem was a result of the lens itself or something else. The 105/2.5 is not a macro lens, so this might be the problem.
- For normal slides and negatives, I didn't find dynamic range a problem. The results were evenly illuminated and there were no "hot" or "dark" spots. Have not tried with "difficult" film images.