The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with English lenses

Photomorgana

What is the different between Speed Panchro and Deep Field Panchro ?

100mm Deep Field Panchro was build in 1940s and it had the best bokeh at that time. It was widely preferred by most Directors, so the decision was made not to change the design. (while 32mm 40mm 50mm 75mm Speed Panchro had improved series II, and 18mm and 25mm even had series III, the DFP remained virtually unchanged) I think the only thing that changed in DFP lenses was a coating. It was Double Gause design 6 elements 4 groups. Early version was f2.5 T3.2 and late was f2.5 T2.8, (a minor detail I believe a barrel material was changed), I have both and both are good.

100mm Tele Panchro or Panchrotal (not Speed Panchro, I think ''Speed'' could only be used on lenses with f2 opening) was manufactured later and had different design- 6 elements 3 groups. Aslo an excellent lens. Older version was f2.5 T2.8 and later version was f2.3 T2.5 (used in both 16 and 35mm cinematography)

Last edited:

hakkalo

What is the different between Speed Panchro and Deep Field Panchro ?

100mm Deep Field Panchro was build in 1940s and it had the best bokeh at that time. It was widely preferred by most Directors, so the decision was made not to change the design. (while 32mm 40mm 50mm 75mm Speed Panchro had improved series II, and 18mm and 25mm even had series III, the DFP remained virtually unchanged) I think the only thing that changed in DFP lenses was a coating. It was Double Gause design 6 elements 4 groups. Early version was f2.5 T3.2 and late was f2.5 T2.8, (a minor detail I believe a barrel material was changed), I have both and both are good.

100mm Tele Panchro or Panchrotal (not Speed Panchro, I think ''Speed'' could only be used on lenses with f2 opening) was manufactured later and had different design- 6 elements 3 groups. Aslo an excellent lens. Older version was f2.5 T2.8 and later version was f2.3 T2.5 (used in both 16 and 35mm cinematography)
Many thanks for your answer.

Photomorgana

Many thanks for your answer.
No problem.
Also there was a Kinetal series specifically design for 16mm format. I believe later in 1960s
Those lenses were of a very good quality, sharp, similar to Zeiss but with excellent colors, bokeh however was not as good as Panchro line, but unique.
I have tested all that I have and concluded that 50mm f1.8, 75mm f2 and 150mm f3.8 cover m4/3 sensor just fine. I dont have 100mm to test, but I am sure it will cover even FF just like 75mm. :)