The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 with English lenses

Michiel Schierbeek

Very interesting lenses and photo's, like the berry's with the background!
Can you tell something about D-mount and its adapter?
Kind regards, Michiel

PeterB666

Very interesting lenses and photo's, like the berry's with the background!
Can you tell something about D-mount and its adapter?
Kind regards, Michiel
I don't know of any adapters to M43 but I would not expect it to be promising. The specs of the D-mount are a thread diametre of 0.625" (15.87mm), 32tpi and a flange distance from the film plane of just 12.29mm. You won't get infinity focus and you are likely to get a bucket load of vignetting.

D-mount lenses were used on 8mm and 9.5mm cine cameras.

Michiel Schierbeek

I don't know of any adapters to M43 but I would not expect it to be promising. The specs of the D-mount are a thread diametre of 0.625" (15.87mm), 32tpi and a flange distance from the film plane of just 12.29mm. You won't get infinity focus and you are likely to get a bucket load of vignetting.

Oh thanks, just curious how Hakkalo worked this out then?
Michiel

PeterB666

The first shot is interesting considering the specs of the lens mount says you should not be able to do it. D-mount lenses are dirt cheap as there are no cameras currently being made for them unlike C-mount and also C-mount lens prices have skyrocketed since MFT, especially those that don't vignette in that format.

hakkalo

There is no adapter ! I've temporary taped it into a C-mount thread. However,I reckon it can be achieved to infinty after properly modified as some 8mm lens also has same design as 16mm.(But got to 36mm and above)

PeterB666

I reckon it can be achieved to infinty after properly modified as some 8mm lens also has same design as 16mm.(But got to 36mm and above)
You are quite right there in that some D-mount lenses are the same design as C-mount lenses and you should be able to modify the body to fit but it is a fair amount of modification. The flange distance of MFT is 20mm, C-mount 17.526mm which is why the adapter is recessed and there is a limitation of mounting lenses without modification due to the throat size of the mount (and adapter) to mount correctly for infinity focus. With the 12.29mm flange distance of D-mount, that's 7.71mm that has to come off the back to get it right or a bit over 5mm for getting it onto a C-mount with zero allowance for a 1" to 0.625" adapter which you would have to make to get a stable mount.

To add to confusion, when I first got into playing with cine cameras, there were still a couple of double-8 and standard-8 cameras around (probably Russian) that actually used C-mount interchangeable lenses. Standard-8 and 9.5mm had been dead for quite a while but these cameras were still being sold new in the 1970s.

Because D-mount lenses sell for trinket money, it is a fun exercise so keep with it. I am very impressed with the first picture. I still think it should be impossible.

hakkalo

You are quite right there in that some D-mount lenses are the same design as C-mount lenses and you should be able to modify the body to fit but it is a fair amount of modification. The flange distance of MFT is 20mm, C-mount 17.526mm which is why the adapter is recessed and there is a limitation of mounting lenses without modification due to the throat size of the mount (and adapter) to mount correctly for infinity focus. With the 12.29mm flange distance of D-mount, that's 7.71mm that has to come off the back to get it right or a bit over 5mm for getting it onto a C-mount with zero allowance for a 1" to 0.625" adapter which you would have to make to get a stable mount.

To add to confusion, when I first got into playing with cine cameras, there were still a couple of double-8 and standard-8 cameras around (probably Russian) that actually used C-mount interchangeable lenses. Standard-8 and 9.5mm had been dead for quite a while but these cameras were still being sold new in the 1970s.

Because D-mount lenses sell for trinket money, it is a fun exercise so keep with it. I am very impressed with the first picture. I still think it should be impossible.
The first picture "hot air ballon" is taken with C-mount lens.
This one is the taken with Pathex Anastigmat F2.5 of 9.5mm movie camera

hakkalo

Hello hakkalo,
Wow! Your images are fantastic! All the best, Leica 77 :)
Thanks for your nice words.

G1 is a poor man's M8 :thumbs:

This shot is taken with Dallmeyer 2 1/4 Inch Profile Projection + Ling M42 to M 4/3 Adapter