The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly E600

Terry

OK, I seriously don't understand the Oly dslr lineup but here is another one....

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3991

If this is now the bottom of the lineup what about the 450 that wasn't launched that long ago. Wasn't there a 5 series recently, why a 600 with just a few less features than a 620?

Now, from everything I've read the E-P1 does a better job on dynamic range, higher ISO weaker AA filter than the E620 so will the 600 be more like the Pen or the 620? If the 600 is more like the Pen than the 620 I think I would be a bit annoyed at Oly for launching the 620 knowing they were using different tech for the Pen and then coming out with a 600...all speculation but just leaves me bewildered at their product strategy.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
When I see the features they have removed, it looks like a more, not less attractive camera than the E-620. Can I have an even cheaper E-599 please, with all the art filters removed?

To me, this looks like an excuse to lower the price. Competition is toughening up, with the rather attractive A550 just launched and the D5000 doing pretty well. In a few months, the K7 will probably fall enough in price to attack the E-620 at its original level. Then there's internal competition from the G1 and a future E-P2.

cjlacz

I think Oly probably found the form factor of the E-620 worked better then the E-4x0 or E-5x0 and they wanted the rotating LCD. I hope it's using the new image processor they introduced in the E-P1.

I think Oly is just readjusting their product line and we'll probably have to wait for some new products to see how it's going to be arranged. Apple's product lines have also looked confusing at times until all the new products are released.

It may also mean that Oly is getting out of competing for the very bottom end market. The margins are normally pretty slim, so maybe that's a good thing.

Terry

So, if I were an Oly 620 owner, I would be annoyed that with a short time of launch the Pen had better tech and then they lower the price with the 600. Nice.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the E-620 is replaced within a few months with a more advanced camera. With the E-600 launched, there's not really much point in buying the more expensive model, and production may already have stopped. Weather sealing, a grip that holds the large battery and the viewfinder from the E-30 would make the camera a strong competitor in this class.

It's a situation very similar to the Sony A850/900 btw.

Robert Campbell

OK, I seriously don't understand the Oly dslr lineup but here is another one....

If this is now the bottom of the lineup what about the 450 that wasn't launched that long ago. Wasn't there a 5 series recently, why a 600 with just a few less features than a 620?
450,520 'discontinued'.

P

PeterLeyssens

So, if I were an Oly 620 owner, I would be annoyed that with a short time of launch the Pen had better tech and then they lower the price with the 600. Nice.
Hi,

I don't think that, as an E-620 owner, I'd be bothered too much by the Pen. For me, the µ43 and the 43 series are two different things but I happen to be able to use the 43 lenses on the Pen. The E-620 has a swivel LCD and an OVF, which some people consider a necessity.

What I find most weird is that Olympus launches 3 lines of cameras (E-x, E-4x0, E-5x0) and have some sort of consistent counting mechanism (E-1 followed by E-3 is similar to the OM-x counting, E-4/5x0 counting 400-410-420), but then they go completely bonkers, add an E-450, add another line that they start numbering backwards (E-620, then the E-620). :thumbdown:

The good news is that it's just external appearances. As long as the cameras are good, who cares :thumbup:

Peter.

Terry

Peter

My point about the Pen wasn't focused on the form factor and the different formats. It was that within a very short time after launch of the 620 Oly said that with the Pen they have found a way to use a much weaker AA filter and had a new processing engine. It was better at high ISO and dynamic range. Since they are using the same sensor in the micro 4/3 and 4/3 it seemed that they held the better tech and processing engine for the Pen. The 620 was dinged in reviews for a strong AA filter and some reviews show it with a limited DR.

From the Pen press release:

TruePic V image processor
Olympus’ latest image processing engine. It automatically enhances important aspects of image quality including: colour reproduction (colour range, saturation and brightness), picture sharpness (reduced image noise, improved edge reproduction), as well as providing faster processing speeds. Furthermore, it supports Art Filters, HD movie quality recording, and high sensitivity shooting at up to ISO 6400 to enable unprecedented creative expression.

Now they have gone and added the 600 took out a couple features that probably don't matter to a lot of 620 users and drop the price. The new camera is using the old processing system again same that is used in the 620. I certainly don't trust at this point that the 600 would be long for this world before being superseded. The 450 lasted a whole 5 months from launch March 31 until August 31 !!!!

I know new models come out from manufacturers all the time but this seems pretty disjointed to me.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's important to remember that those who are the main market for these cameras, mostly don't have a clue about what we are discussing here. They check the cameras within their price bracket before they buy, if at all, and they check again the next time they buy, one or ten years later. They couldn't care less what came before or after or when that happened. Those of us who discuss these things on internet forums are just a bunch of train spotters with too much time on hour hands :lecture: :ROTFL: :cool: :LOL: ;) :toocool:

Terry

It's important to remember that those who are the main market for these cameras, mostly don't have a clue about what we are discussing here. They check the cameras within their price bracket before they buy, if at all, and they check again the next time they buy, one or ten years later. They couldn't care less what came before or after or when that happened. Those of us who discuss these things on internet forums are just a bunch of train spotters with too much time on hour hands :lecture: :ROTFL: :cool: :LOL: ;) :toocool:
Of course you are right... although I would like to believe the train spotter community is useful in pushing the companies for firmware improvements and other enhancements including lens needs. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Of course you are right... although I would like to believe the train spotter community is useful in pushing the companies for firmware improvements and other enhancements including lens needs. :)
I believe we are, and I would be surprised if the most "qualified" forums aren't followed by the manufacturers, some of them anyway...

V

Vivek

Before you extend your discussions, Joergen and Terry, check that link Terry posted.:)

Non existent product.

P

pancasj

E-600
yes, fiction only i think

i just wondering, when will olympus release truepic-V based "true" DSLR

Brian Mosley

Before you extend your discussions, Joergen and Terry, check that link Terry posted.:)

Non existent product.
Maybe a peek preview - it was there initially, I think it's (going to be) real.

I don't quite understand the angst Terry - were you considering buying an Oly DSLR? the E-600 looks like Olympus positioning to offer an E-620 body cam at an even lower price point... I note the emphasis of DSLR PDAF auto focus - maybe being positioned as a logical upgrade from the G1 for those frustrated by m4/3rds standard grade lenses?

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

Maybe a peek preview - it was there initially, I think it's (going to be) real.

I don't quite understand the angst Terry - were you considering buying an Oly DSLR? the E-600 looks like Olympus positioning to offer an E-620 body cam at an even lower price point... I note the emphasis of DSLR PDAF auto focus - maybe being positioned as a logical upgrade from the G1 for those frustrated by m4/3rds standard grade lenses?

Kind Regards

Brian
No, Brian I am not considering an Oly dslr at this point in time. However, I posted a comment at DPReview recently about the 620 launching and then getting the Pen with TruePic V and weak AA filter so close behind and I got response back that said that Oly wouldn't break their users trust. From what I'm seeing I don't agree.
I own the Pen and I want to see what Oly is doing in new developments. From what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed with their product launches and what tech they put in/take out of cameras and how quickly come back to back with models. As you know, I do buy and sell gear reasonably often and these product launches with very short lives isn't useful in that regard. If indeed the 450 is discontinued after a mere 5 months I think it is pretty lame. No company is perfect but I am simply voicing my opinion that I don't understand their strategy.

P

pancasj

$100 cheaper than E-620...
really dissapointed, there is no "truepic v"

Brian Mosley

Thanks Terry - the E-P1 is an evolutionary step forward from the E-620, and the differences in lens IQ are what you really notice as a user.

I would always survey the market, choose the best camera for your needs at this moment in time and then enjoy a good period working with that camera... beyond the basic nature of the body (sensor resolution, dynamic range, colour quality and ergonomics) - the lens selection is by far the most important factor imho.

The useful thing about Olympus is that you have loads of choice now of new and 2nd user bodies - and the lens selection is superb.

As for body release strategy etc... that's all marketing stuff and doesn't impact a decision today as far as I can see.

Kind Regards

Brian