The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reading E-P1 RAW files in Aperture 2.1.4

barjohn

This is tedious but simple. Perhaps someone could write a batch script to accomplish.

This method fools the RAW converter into thinking the files are from an E-30.

1. Make copies of the .ORF files you want to convert.
2. Open each one, one-at-a-time with Text Edit. Scroll down until you see E-P1 and replace the P1 with 30
3. Save the file and close it.
4. Repeat for each image.

You don't have to scroll down very far and you only have to replace it once. You can now import it into Aperture and edit the file. :D

It would be cool if someone wrote a script that copied and converted in one operation on a range of files. Otherwise we will have to :deadhorse: until Apple fixes this.

Gio

Hello John,

in the underlying Unix there exists sed (stream editor). With

sed -e '/E-P1/{s//E-30/;:a' -e '$!N;$!ba' -e '}' -i .org P1234567.ORF

the first occurence of E-P1 in P1234567.ORF is changed to E-30.
Because of the "-i .org" a copy of the original file is made as P1234567.ORF.org as well.

you can create an automator workflow like that

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2480/3878864854_37d51d1e3f_o.png

regards
johannes

(Image is on Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/johannesfleitner/ )

kevinparis

I have something half working... well it works on my machine just because i paid 15 euros for a Automator action that does the find and replace on a text edit file... but wont work on a machine without it.

still it was a fun day.. can't believe Applescript makes doing search and replace so difficult or indeed doesn't let you take full control of TextEdit... on the otherhand it may just be my complete lack of understanding of programming.

would be happy to share my workings on a absolutely no guarantee basis

cheers
K

barjohn

I can tell you from trying both that the results are different between the conversion created by fooling Aperture and the Adobe DNG conversion. Which one you prefer will be a matter of preference. My wife liked one batter and I liked the other better. Also, when there is a modified ORF and a JPG of the same shot, you can load an image of the JPG. With just a converted DNG and JPG of the same shot in the folder you can not bring up the JPG.

kevinparis

i persevered with my learning of Applescript and now have a working little app that you drag a bunch of e-p1 raw files to and it makes a copy and uses Textedit to do a find and replace. Aperture now thinks that the files came from an E-30

Anybody wanting to try it out drop me an email

[email protected]

cheers

Kevin