The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tilt adaptors

pellicle

Hi

just had word from RJCamera that his tilt adpator project is starting to go somewhere. He is expecting to produce a Nikon and FD version of this within the next 3 months.

I'm really looking forward to getting one.

Diane B

Pellicle, can you describe this adaptor?? Since I have a number of FD lenses and enjoy my EF mount TS lens, this might be of interest.

Diane

JBurnett

A clever idea! I don't know if RJ is naturally innovative or just very responsive to good ideas, but he's impressed me with his efforts. I read elsewhere that he's working on an adapter for Contax G-series lenses. Back in the day (well, not so very long ago) the 45mm f/2 Contax was supposed to be one the sharpest lenses ever tested by Photodo (though, alas, only a 6-bladed diaphragm).

pentacon6

I have talked to him about the tilt adapter quite some time ago. But for Contax G adapter, the problem is the focus system is not easy to deal with. A focus helicod is needed externally since G1/G2 are autofocus and need to work with motor.
The good example is 90mm modified to use on Nikon F mount.
This is quite an exceptional case.

pellicle

Folks

I started chatting to jin about this some time around when I wrote this blog article:
http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/05/lens-tilt-on-panasonic-g1.html

I had a number of ideas and we have had some discussions around the ideas and sent a few sketches to him.

I am sure that the concept is not challenging technically given the large space available due to the thickness of the adaptor. The Canon TS-E lenses are great examples of how a helically focusing lens can be adapted to a SLR body.

I am not sure exactly what Jin is planning as he has not sent me any prototypes. But have a flick through some of the ones on my blog page.

anyway, some time ago I posted a poll on this forum on exactly this point to give him some gauge of interest, that was here

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7756&highlight=tilt+shift

pellicle

Pellicle, can you describe this adaptor??
Diane

not really, I have given Jin a number of ideas and answered many of his questions but he has been very one way about the information flow (quite understandable as he is taking the risks not me).

I can only say what I've told him.

slau

A few weeks ago, RJ told me via email that the Contax G adapter is a lot more complicated to manufacture than he expects. The plan to have it available by the end of August seems to be come-and-gone. He did not want to tell me how he plans to go around the focus issue of the G lenses. I am waiting patiently, and expect to pay a bit more for the G adapter than my other adapters from him. So far, I like his products in terms of quality and prices.

Annna T

A few weeks ago, RJ told me via email that the Contax G adapter is a lot more complicated to manufacture than he expects. The plan to have it available by the end of August seems to be come-and-gone. He did not want to tell me how he plans to go around the focus issue of the G lenses. I am waiting patiently, and expect to pay a bit more for the G adapter than my other adapters from him. So far, I like his products in terms of quality and prices.
Wow... it is the second time I hear about an adapter for Contax G lenses, I'd really want one if it can be done without destroying the lense, like that Japanese guy. They were auto-focus lenses, which you couldn't focuse manually with a ring, only through a wheel on the body. It's not the first time I read that it would be too difficult to achieve. Plus there are probably much less owners of Contax G lenses than of M lenses.

Anyway, it's interesting. Who is exactly RJ ? does he have a webpage or a blog or ? How can I get in contact with him and would the adapter be for FT or MFT bodies ?