The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 specs announced...

Godfrey

Looks great.
I noticed that it uses the same batteries as the G1. Perfect. :)

Camera, viewfinder, 20mm lens ... soon as Camera Raw/DNG Converter/Lightroom support it.

pellicle

Looks great.
I noticed that it uses the same batteries as the G1. Perfect. :)
predictably it was high on my items to look for in the spec

Camera, viewfinder, 20mm lens ... soon as Camera Raw/DNG Converter/Lightroom support it.
but in the mean time I want that 20mm lens for my G1 and hey as I also want the GF I'm in a good position to "justify" the kit.

:)

Tim

MY question is, will they be able to keep up with supply??

Hopefully it won't be another LX3 frustration.

retow

Looks tempting. Pana shows Oly the direction. Am concerned for my EP1 and guess I'll have to apply soon for membership in the gear slut club. Who is its president, again? :D

P

pancasj

an E-P1 killer
but, still love the gh-1

btw,
panasonic release other prime lens
"LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm F2.8 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S."

hot

prices in Germany

• DMC-GF1 (UVP: 649 Euro)
• DMC-GF1K KIT (UVP: 849 Euro)
Kamera in schwarz, titansilber, rot oder perlmuttweiß mit Standartobjektiv: LUMIX G VARIO 3,5-5,6/14-45mm (28-90mm KB)
• DMC-GF1C KIT (UVP: 949 Euro)
Kamera in Schwarz mit „Pancake“ Objektiv: LUMIX G 1,7/ 20mm (40mm KB)

• Pancake-Objektiv : LUMIX G 1,7/ 20mm (40mm KB)/ ASPH (UVP 399 Euro)
• Makroobjektiv : LEICA DG MAKRO-ELMARIT 2,8/ 45mm (90mm KB)/ ASPH/ OIS (UVP: 799 Euro)

I loooooove my GH1 .... 10x better ;-)

GF1 EVF = weak 202.000 pixels, 200 extra dollars :-(
GH1 EVF = 1.440.000 pixels

barjohn

It has two things that I wish the E-P1 had. One the EVF (though 220 MPIXELS is disappointing) and the fast auto focus. If Oly can fix the AF issue and in an E-P2 builds in a high quality VF either optical or electronic they would come out ahead as the build quality of the Oly is better. I guess we will have to see what Leica brings forth. I noticed the GF1 offers an R lens adapter. :) I forgot to add that the GF1 is missing one thing I really like in the E-P1 and that is in body IS. Makes MF and Prime lenses much more usable.

Last edited:
P

pancasj

prices in Germany

• DMC-GF1 (UVP: 649 Euro)
• DMC-GF1K KIT (UVP: 849 Euro)
Kamera in schwarz, titansilber, rot oder perlmuttweiß mit Standartobjektiv: LUMIX G VARIO 3,5-5,6/14-45mm (28-90mm KB)
• DMC-GF1C KIT (UVP: 949 Euro)
Kamera in Schwarz mit „Pancake“ Objektiv: LUMIX G 1,7/ 20mm (40mm KB)

• Pancake-Objektiv : LUMIX G 1,7/ 20mm (40mm KB)/ ASPH (UVP 399 Euro)
• Makroobjektiv : LEICA DG MAKRO-ELMARIT 2,8/ 45mm (90mm KB)/ ASPH/ OIS (UVP: 799 Euro)

I loooooove my GH1 .... 10x better ;-)

GF1 EVF = weak 202.000 pixels, 200 extra dollars :-(
GH1 EVF = 1.440.000 pixels

GH-1 or G-1 still has the best performance per cost ratio
GF-1 just look like a modularized G-1 :D

scho

GH-1 or G-1 still has the best performance per cost ratio
GF-1 just look like a modularized G-1 :D
I agree. I am still hoping for something with the G1 features, but with a more robust body. I'll wait to see what Leica comes up with next week. Hope it is not just another pimped up Panasonic P&S with a red dot.

Godfrey

It has two things that I wish the E-P1 had. One the EVF (though 220 MPIXELS is disappointing) and the fast auto focus. If Oly can fix the AF issue and in an E-P2 builds in a high quality VF either optical or electronic they would come out ahead as the build quality of the Oly is better. I guess we will have to see what Leica brings forth. I noticed the GF1 offers an R lens adapter. :) I forgot to add that the GF1 is missing one thing I really like in the E-P1 and that is in body IS. Makes MF and Prime lenses much more usable.
I'm curious how you can assert that the E-P1 build quality is "better" without ever having held or seen a GF1 in person?

Neither fast AF nor in-body IS are all that important to me. What I see is an improved shape to the body (taller = more purchase for my fingers), better control positioning, identical menu/control structure to the G1 (which I like a lot), and more viewfinder versatility. While the clip-on EVF is lower res than I'd prefer, just having one for eye level work is a plus ... and I can still easily use OVFs in the hot shoe.

The 20/1.7 is just what I've been waiting for, the 45/2.8 Macro OIS is appealing too.

As a complement to the G1, L1 and E-1, it's just what I've been looking for. I hope it is up to the same finish spec that the L1 is ... that would be great ... but the G1 spec is fine for all practical purposes.

Styling wise, I like its stark appearance and simplicity. But I prefer to spend my time looking through a camera rather than looking at one. ;-)

Yes, I do wonder what Leica will present on 090909 ... If they do a version of the GF1, it might be my next Leica, the advantage being primarily Leica service and support.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

This is turning out to be quite an interesting, though very expensive system. Let's see what we have up till now:

- G(H)1: I have an Olympus E-420 and I find it much too big for ubiquitous photography, so replacing it with either of these is no option. I'm in the market for something smaller. But both cameras look very interesting for people who are looking for something similar to my E-420 setup: a small and very flexible package. Add OIS lenses, HD movies and lots of other goodies and they're quite attractive. G-1 is very affordable, so is the GH-1 if you're into video.

- E-P1 and GF-1: this is where things become interesting for me. Both are the same size and weight, give or take a mm or a gram somewhere. Both can take 2 nice pancakes. The E-P1 has in-body stabilisation, while the GF-1 focuses much more quickly and possibly more realiably in low light. The E-P1 has a low res display that is very forgiving of the angle you look at it, which is very practical. The GF-1 has a higher res display which is more squinty and flare prone and adds a clip-on EVF which is very low res, just in case you need it. Looks about even to me. The GF-1 also has a tiny flash which is nice if you need it. I don't, so for me, it's a choice between a very interesting camera with IS or a very interesting one without it but with some other niceties.

- E-P2 ? If this one will have a clip-on EVF and maybe faster AF, it will be more expensive than the E-P2. If it has a built-in EVF, it may be cheaper but its size will put me off again.

- Leica ? If they should release a µ43 body on 9-9-9, it'll be more expensive than any other body released before.

Conclusion for me: the small bodies look very interesting and I'm looking forward to trying one out. If they're small and light enough to carry in a belt pouch with a pancake (pref. the 20/f1.7), I might get one. But my main worry is that the system is starting to look really expensive. I paid €650 (IIRC) for my E-420 with its pancake one year ago. With both the Olympus as well as the Panasonic offering, I should expect to add 50%. €900 is a lot of money to me, particularly for a system with just a pancake. I will still need to add a convertor ring for my FourThirds lenses and probably the EVF for the GF-1, then a case and new memory cards, add in a second battery...

Peter.

pellicle

I paid €650 (IIRC) for my E-420 with its pancake one year ago. ... I will still need to add a convertor ring for my FourThirds lenses and probably the EVF for the GF-1, then a case and new memory cards, add in a second battery...
the thing is that I think its a different system almost completely from the 4/3rds. I view it that way. Certainly micro 4/3rds stuff won't work on the normal 4/3rds stuff...