The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 specs announced...

pellicle

Last edited:

Y.B.Hudson III

so this is an improvement compared to t' G1? the GF 1...what happens when t' marketing boys get to design a camera...give them less and charge 'em more...:)

R

Ranger 9

Now, if I understand all the Rube Goldberg struts and slots, this one just MIGHT do what the Digilux 2 (and 3) flash does.
The parallelogram linkage does appear similar -- and no more complicated, really. It just looks more complex because the swing arms are more skeletonized than they are on the older camera.

R

Ranger 9

so this is an improvement compared to t' G1? the GF 1...what happens when t' marketing boys get to design a camera...give them less and charge 'em more...:)
They're giving them more smallerness. And in some circles, smallerness equals coolitude.

V

Vivek

They're giving them more smallerness. And in some circles, smallerness equals coolitude.
Come on folks! I am eagerly waiting for the images that show the coolerness and the cuterness with various lenses plus the all important bag questions.

Time to shop.

I think a softly soft leather half case (in matching colors, of course) would be swell. I will wait for those to show up first and then take a look at the GF (there could be a GF-2 by that time. :eek:).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi

say ... reading that I find this

that's interesting ... is that right? Because according to dpreview

and don't you love the flash

oh ... and Guy ... yes, had seen that, it was on dpreview

That may have sealed it for me a flash and a EVF

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need some cooltude in my life, bring this bad boy on. LOL

I'll wait for Leica announcement than I will start looking.

It has to be better than my G10 so that right there gets my vote. Raw processing maybe my limitation , I like C1

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Come on folks! I am eagerly waiting for the images that show the coolerness and the cuterness with various lenses plus the all important bag questions.

Time to shop.

I think a softly soft leather half case (in matching colors, of course) would be swell. I will wait for those to show up first and then take a look at the GF (there could be a GF-2 by that time. :eek:).
I always listen to Vivek, so when he suggested I get my camera bag from Hello Kitty, I went there - took me a while, but in the end I raised enough nerve to do it.
Now he is suggesting I get a cute soft leather half case in matching colors, do I need to go to Luigi for that? I can't keep up with him :banghead:

Keith

Diane B

There you go....you've coined a word--

"smallerness"......I wouldn't change my G1 for this--but I am thinking seriously about adding it as a second body--and for use when I want to carry a slim little camera in my bag with the 20.

Diane

V

Vivek

Keith,

Sorry mate. I bought a pair of (brown and fairly nondescript - boring really) shoes that are comfortable to walk on for a few hours instead.

I also bought a monitor.

I think I got everything backwards...

M

meilicke

In the dpreview.com preview on page six, they say about the viewfinder "...but from a resolution point of view you're not going to be using it for fine focus checking". Now, since this has roughly the same resolution as the EP-1 screen, and I haven't heard anyone complain about checking focus with that screen, would it stand to reason that manually focusing using the viewfinder would not be all that bad? The viewfinder of the G1 is one of the few reasons I am still considering the G1 over the GF1.

I know, I know, no one has one yet, so how can we know? :(

Scott

R

Ranger 9

No need to wait, Panasonic has already got ya covered. Half cases, case fronts, straps, carry bags...

R

Ranger 9

In the dpreview.com preview on page six, they say about the viewfinder "...but from a resolution point of view you're not going to be using it for fine focus checking". Now, since this has roughly the same resolution as the EP-1 screen, and I haven't heard anyone complain about checking focus with that screen, would it stand to reason that manually focusing using the viewfinder would not be all that bad?
I think the reviewer meant that the monitor wouldn't be as useful for "chimping" shots you'd taken to make sure they're in focus, rather than for manually focusing the lens.

For after-shot focus checking with such a low pixel count, you'd have to zoom in so far that you wouldn't be able to see much context.

Of course, usually you'd chimp your shots with the back LCD, which has a much higher pixel count. But I suppose if you were shooting swimsuit models on the beach, that might not be practical because of the sun. Anyone care to help me field-test this scenario?

R

Ranger 9

Re: There you go....you've coined a word--

"smallerness"......I wouldn't change my G1 for this--but I am thinking seriously about adding it as a second body--and for use when I want to carry a slim little camera in my bag with the 20.
Diane
You and me both, lady.

Also, I'll bet that for a while at least, the only way to get the 20 is going to be to buy one with a camera body.

V

Vivek

No need to wait, ..has already got ya covered. Half cases, case fronts, straps, carry bags...
Thanks. I will research that carefully to see if the optional hot shoe EVF is taken care of.

Might take a while though..

Would the GF accept generic batteries which are way cheaper and work better on the G1 (unless disabled by a software update)?

Also, I have not seen any hoods for the 20/1.7 or the 45mm lenses. Since there is no official hood for the 17/2.8, I guess we are in a time of naked primes.

But, there are always those snug fit leather half cases in matching colors to rejoice. :)

Last edited: