The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF-1 specs announced...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And I thought I wanted a G11. Plans changed again. If new launches continue to come this frequently, I'll never be able to make up my mind :banghead: :confused: :rolleyes:

monza

It's linked at the bottom of the dpreview pages to the Amazon pre-order page. The body only and kit zoom isn't linked yet. Curious how much the EVF will be.

photoSmart42

Looks pretty good. Where did you see the US Prices?
"UK: £549.99 (body), £783 (with 20mm lens), 14-45mm kit TBA" + currency conversion = $1300 USD for the camera+20 lens combination!

Seems awfully expensive for such a small camera. I would have expected the price to be closer to the LX3 ($500-ish with the 20 lens) which it's replacing. At these prices I might as well buy a GH1 or even a cheaper G1 which is more camera. Not sure what Panasonic is thinking in terms of their target market. Too expensive for regular consumers, and maybe even too expensive for pros considering it would just be a rangefinder/backup camera. I hope it sells well enough to keep Pany in business...

R

Ranger 9

It's linked at the bottom of the dpreview pages to the Amazon pre-order page. The body only and kit zoom isn't linked yet. Curious how much the EVF will be.
1001 Noisy Cameras says $200 US. That means camera body plus either lens plus EVF will be right around $1100. Not bad, but it makes the G1 look like an even bigger bargain, especially considering that the built-in EVF has about twice the pixel count as the GF1's add-on.

Still, I was impressed at how well the GF1's add-on EVF integrates with the camera body, at least according to the pictures. And it tilts up 90 degrees, which should lessen some of the sting of not having an articulating LCD.

(I wonder if there'll be an extension cable allowing you to remove the EVF from the camera entirely...? No reason it couldn't be done...)

Now it'll be interesting to wait until 9-9 to see if Leica announces a new D-Lux with an uncannily similar resemblance (a vulcanite body covering and a red dot would look nice on the GF1 body.) The Leica video did promise a range of products for novice through professional, so it's at least plausible...

Terry

"UK: £549.99 (body), £783 (with 20mm lens), 14-45mm kit TBA" + currency conversion = $1300 USD for the camera+20 lens combination!

Seems awfully expensive for such a small camera. I would have expected the price to be closer to the LX3 ($500-ish with the 20 lens) which it's replacing. At these prices I might as well buy a GH1 or even a cheaper G1 which is more camera. Not sure what Panasonic is thinking in terms of their target market. Too expensive for regular consumers, and maybe even too expensive for pros considering it would just be a rangefinder/backup camera. I hope it sells well enough to keep Pany in business...
Actually it is available for pre-order on Amazon. $899 with 20mm lens.

nostatic

I'll lay odds on the Leica variant. And will predict a $1999 price for the body and 40mm macro lens.

R

Ranger 9

Seems awfully expensive for such a small camera... At these prices I might as well buy a GH1 or even a cheaper G1 which is more camera. Not sure what Panasonic is thinking in terms of their target market.
Some people want small and are willing to pay for it. Look at all the people who complained about the G1's "hump" and grip and said they'd prefer something smaller and more rangefinder-camera-like... well, now they can put their money where their mouths are.

BTW, I don't think it's a replacement for the LX3, since it has interchangeable lenses. I suspect eventually there'll be an LX3 replacement with a fixed lens, at a lower price point.

R

Ranger 9

I'll lay odds on the Leica variant. And will predict a $1999 price for the body and 40mm macro lens.
That'd be a big price premium for vulcanite and a red dot. But undoubtedly there'll be people who pay it...

cjlacz

After seeing the E-P1 I was planning on holding off buying a m4/3s camera for a while, but then Panasonic comes and releases what is looking like a very nice model. The 7-14, 20 and 45 macro together would be very nice. (Shame it's not 45mm f/2!) At least I'm safe for a little longer. This month is tripod month. I was supposed to get it last month but couldn't pass up a hell of a deal on a 12-60mm, VA-1 and a FL50-R. Aperture support and a couple more lenses will seal it for me, assuming these perform well.