The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pricing of Pany 20mm alone vs GF1 kit?

Frank Petronio

Not Available
So far I see $899 for the kit with either the 14-45 zoom or the 20 prime, and the 20mm lens for $399 alone.

Simple subtraction means that the 20mm should be about the same stand alone price as the 14-45mm zoom. Which is the same zoom your get when you buy a $639 G1... and there isn't any way a G1 body is only $240.

So... where do you think the 20mm prime price will end up in a couple of months once the hullabaloo settles down? My gut tells me it is an inexpensive, $250 lens but pent-up demand will keep it closer to $350 for quite a while.

pellicle

Frank

get the set, use the 20 on either camera and get a GF body to add to the bundle!

for that price I'm in!

Frank Petronio

Not Available
Starting to see a lot of people selling their kit bodies in order to get the 20mm cheap, quite a nice differential in the prices between the kit/body resale versus buying the lens alone retail (if you could find one.)

I'm out of micro 4/3s. Loved the Pany implementation but my darn hands are just too big not to cramp up with these tiny toys. I am oggling the XI - simple controls for the ham-fisted ;-)

barjohn

If you think the micro 4/3s are tiny toys look at the measurements on the X1. I have found for myself, that the camera's height is one of the critical dimensions for hand holding comfort. The GF1 is comfortable because my whole hand fits on the grip not just a couple of fingers.

I'm waiting on the GF1/20mm kit for the savings--otherwise I woulda had the zoom kit already.

Hey Frank, I'm making your print right now, on Hahnemule German Etching. Kinda neat paper, but I can't decide if it's my thing or not.