The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic's 2010 lens roadmap

Rawfa

14mm f2.8! That's awesome! Hopefuly a pancake.
I wonder when will they come out with a fast zoom.

retow

All nice, if they only became better with their forecasting and supply chain management. Thought Japanese companies are reasonably good at that, Pana seems to be the exception, though.

P

pac72

That 100-300 is a very nice addition! I will certainly buy it if it is good.
I hope faster zooms such as ~14-35 f/2 or ~50-200 f/2.8 will eventually come.

T

tripper

" I wonder when will they come out with a fast zoom. "

Is a fast zoom e.g 50-200 f/2.8 feasible within the size constraints of M4/3rds ?

tripper

JBurnett

Is a fast zoom e.g 50-200 f/2.8 feasible within the size constraints of M4/3rds ?
As the sensor sizes of 4/3 and m4/3 are the same, I'm not sure a good m4/3 lens in this range would be TOO much smaller than the existing Olympus 50-200 f/2.8-3.5 for 4/3. That lens is 157 x 86mm, 995g.

Compare that to the existing Panasonic 45-200 f/4-5.6 for m4/3: 100 x 70mm, 390g. I own the 45-200 and, frankly, I don't think I'd want to put too much more weight/size up front on a m4/3 body, especially handheld. If I remember correctly, 700g was the upper limit recommended for the Panasonic G1, without using a tripod collar.

This kind of size difference between an f/4-5.6 and f/2.8 lens of equivalent range is not unusual. For example:

Canon EF 70-200 f/4 IS: 172 x 76mm, 760g
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS: 197 x 86mm, 1590g

OTOH, a slightly reduced range and m4/3-specific design might yield a good compromise. Consider the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 (140 x 76mm, 780g), revamped for m4/3.

R

Ranger 9

That's starting to look like a fairly persuasive roadmap.

In my view, the main missing piece now is a longer, wide-aperture lens for portraiture, indoor sports/theater, etc.

A 50/1.7 plus the 20/1.7 would be a nice two-lens outfit. And if they could wiggle Mega OIS into the 50, that would be nicer yet. (I'm willing to get by without IS on a 20mm lens, but it could be useful on a longer one.)

Or maybe Olympus could root around in the blueprint drawer and dust off the design of the Pen F's 60mm f/1.5...

John,

If I remember correctly, 700g was the upper limit recommended for the Panasonic G1, without using a tripod collar.
I wonder where this information comes from. I heard 1000g (from a pre-release of the G1 manual that was only available for download) but have not seen any official statement since.

This is quite important when using 3rd party tele or macro lenses (or even the 9.8mm Kinoptik weighing 1400g)

JBurnett

I heard 1000g (from a pre-release of the G1 manual that was only available for download) but have not seen any official statement since.
Please don't trust MY memory of the limitation (after all, memory IS my limitation -- or, at least one of them). :shocked:

I agree it would be best to have an official specification; I don't expect that the pre-release figure of 1000g would have changed. Do you still have that document?