The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adapting the Adapters

C

ChrisJ

Some of you may be interested in how I adapt the adapters to use Tamron thread (M42 X 0.75mm TPI). This is the standard for coupling to telescopes for Astro photography and Digiscoping, for which there are hundreds of adapting permutations.

By taking the centre out of an old T Mount adapter and turning it down to 49.75mm it will be an 'interferance (squeezed in a vice) fit into an RJ C mount adapter. I then turned away the C Mount part and covered the resulting shiny bit with felt tip black.

This is what you get

Screw in a 1 1/4" adapter like this

Now it will drop strait into the eyepiece holder in any Astro Scope or Spotting Scope, I get pictures like this. My Asro Scope has a focal length of 650mm, the 8" mirror gives me f4, the sensor crop makes this 1300mm. This is full frame - not cropped.

By turning a little 60° grove where the Tamron bit meets the C Mount bit it will also fit my B.P.M. Bellows like this

Now I can take pics such as these taken with an old Jena 50mm f2.8 lens.

Minimum magnification

Close to maximum magnigication

A simple (cheap) way to cover the extremes of Photography and, with the focus mignification of the G1, focus is easy (even for my failing eyesight).

ChrisJ

Last edited:

JBurnett

Very cool, Chris! One more useful adaptation made possible by the m4/3 format, and an enterprising DIY'er.