The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

First few shots taken today

Early days but pretty happy so far. The images have a "natural" look which I assosicate with Foveon sensors. They also upscale exceptionaly well.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin

Those are really, really, good.

This is causing a big problem for me.

Keith
Ha ha, but its a good problem to have :D

Well this is of course not a comprehensive test. I popped out of my office in Shoreditch in London for half an hour to take them and was somewhat blown away by the pixel level sharpness and colour. These have had a little post processing but not much.

I can already say that the DP2M eats batteries. Sigma supply 2 in the box. You would need more though for days shooting.

I love this camera...

Quentin

Thorkil

Hello Quentin. These are just fantastic pictures with a fantastic expression, and then for such a small camera!
I guess one would only believe to achieve that with a large-format camera! And it’s only 999$ or what?
Best Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

Hello Quentin. These are just fantastic pictures with a fantastic expression, and then for such a small camera!
I guess one would only believe to achieve that with a large-format camera! And it’s only 999$ or what?
Best Thorkil
Thanks, Thorkil - I believe your price is right for the US. I paid £799, including VAT, in England.

As for image quality, it's early days to make a definitive judgment. However, I will stick my neck out and say I have had great results at 200% uprezzing, which is frankly a bit mad. I have a lot of experimenting to do.... But I share your enthusiasm.

Thorkil

:).. it was just that first glance, where sharpness and the way to render the details that made my eyes pop out quit a bit, and the colours(apart from the coloured wall which is hard to judge). First glance: such a extraordinary quality, at such a small price, in such a small, almost pocketsize package. RX100 lay down, it might seem.
Thorkil

V

Vivek

Colors/details are superb, Quentin! :thumbup:

Is it useful (AF) for mobile subjects or just restricted to stationary ones?

Thorkil

And now Quentin, a Burdon is laying on your shoulders.
I can't find any review on this camera, and even not a proper shop in Copenhagen who have it, only internet-shops.
Will it be difficult to handle handheld?(just as the D800E), I guess your pictures was handheld? Difficult on DOF?, will it be intuitive, could it work for street or more hasty things than dead things and landscapes,etc? Will it be the one you prefer over the RX100, etc.?
I’ll try hard to be patient…. :)
Thorkil
But slip into a pocket it can't I can see.

Quentin_Bargate

Guys, will try and reply substantively later today - got to get some work done first!

Did I say I love this camera?!

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Some, but less than with other cameras and mostly in Sigma Photo Pro, oddly.

I have taken a few more shots and will post these along with a bit more info later this evening

Quentin

Thorkil

Quentin, don't hurry, I'll have to wait on the DP1 Merrill anyway, but I'm looking forward to see the follow ups, best that happened in many days...:rolleyes:
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

A few more. All fairly random :D

UPDATE: link to the full resolution jpeg as converted from RAW of the last of the above images here - for personal use only, of course...

I will prepare a more detailed assesment of the pros and cons in due course.

Last edited:

Godfrey

colors look very nice indeed.
are you capturing in raw mode? and if so, what software does the conversion?

thx