The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So many cameras, so little time..

jonoslack

Hah!
Wonderful Ray - but you can hardly claim exemption from technology if you have an iPhone . . . what's wrong with that old Nokia you had in 2002 (and I bet the reception was better) . . . added to which you actually post on a photographic forum (what could be more nerdy than that!) . . . . . and then, you have a Dlux :wtf::loco: you could have got the Panasonic version for less than half the price (and we all know it's just as good).

As far as I'm concerned, the GAS syndrome is (if you can afford it) a perfectly good and reasonable hobby - it's just important not to confuse it with interesting photographs.

In a similar way, going to remote and beautiful places could be described as PAS (Place Acquisition Syndrome) . . . totally respectable . . . but not to be confused with interesting photos either.

It takes all types, some of whom (like you) are excellent photographers, and we all have our little peccadillos (says he, pressing the button on the new latest camera . . . confirming the next trip to China and chucking a few stones around his glass house :ROTFL::) )

all the very best

rayyan

Hi there Jono...

GAS or PAS is all ok with me. Together or on its own. And what is wrong with me giving another point of view, considering your own GAS and PAS. Not counting the number of comparisons, various lenses on various bodies ad infinitum.

How one enjoys their hobbies or satisfies their photographic wants and needs is for each one to decide for themselves. None of my business.

I enjoy my photograhic pursuits, the way I choose to, too! And, once in a while, write about it. But once in a while. Where is the harm in that?
I still use film..but it is becoming very inconvenient.

There maybe newcomers..they might need reminding that neither GAS nor PAS is a pre-requisite for enjoying their photographic hobby. And that the next best photographic offering is just that. Satisfying a craving for new toys
and, often but not always, for bragging rights.

Why the iPhone? Because satisfying my PAS requires that. It just happened to
be an iPhone. This post could have been equally well sent ' from another galaxy '. My Nokia, unfortunately is not ready for the internet world!!
Of course, I could use the old fashioned postal systems too!! But then posting here would be a delayed affair, if at all.

I am all for technology in photography. But also am aware that sometimes, it is just that..technology. Not necessarily for photographic improvement.

Take care Jono. And hey, I am looking forward to a possible M10.:D

Hah!
Wonderful Ray - but you can hardly claim exemption from technology if you have an iPhone . . . what's wrong with that old Nokia you had in 2002 (and I bet the reception was better) . . . added to which you actually post on a photographic forum (what could be more nerdy than that!) . . . . . and then, you have a Dlux :wtf::loco: you could have got the Panasonic version for less than half the price (and we all know it's just as good).

As far as I'm concerned, the GAS syndrome is (if you can afford it) a perfectly good and reasonable hobby - it's just important not to confuse it with interesting photographs.

In a similar way, going to remote and beautiful places could be described as PAS (Place Acquisition Syndrome) . . . totally respectable . . . but not to be confused with interesting photos either.

It takes all types, some of whom (like you) are excellent photographers, and we all have our little peccadillos (says he, pressing the button on the new latest camera . . . confirming the next trip to China and chucking a few stones around his glass house :ROTFL::) )

all the very best

jonoslack

There maybe newcomers..they might need reminding that neither GAS nor PAS is a pre-requisite for enjoying their photographic hobby. And that the next best photographic offering is just that. Satisfying a craving for new toys
and, often but not always, for bragging rights.
. . and sometimes even offering new opportunities.

but, Hey:

I'm sure that newcomers can make up their own minds, and it's a little patronising to suggest that people buy new cameras for bragging rights (I guess some do, but most don't).

I agree that muddling up the craving for new toys should not be confused with good photography; but it's not necessarily the obverse either.

Some, at least, of your always excellent photographs in this thread would, as I'm sure you'll agree, have been better if they'd been taken on more sophisticated equipment.

I suppose I'm playing devil's advocate just a little bit - you're thread rather suggests that you don't need a good camera . . . you just need to go to good places. I don't think either of these contentions are really universal truths.

IMHO good photographs come from the eye of the photographer, whether that be in downtown Manilla, Glasgow or Peru, and whether they're taken with a Lomo, an M9 or an iPhone. You're suggesting that a good camera is not important . . . I'm trying to poke a little fun by suggesting that an exotic location isn't either.

. . . and please don't imagine that I'm trying to defend my own inexcusable GAS or to criticise your sublime PAS; I fully understand that some things are beyond redemption :)

All the Very Best

rayyan

Jono, no patronising here. Of course newcomers can make up their minds. Then what is all the marketing fuss about. And marketing budgets? And isn't there such a thing as peer pressure?

Does anyone using leica M lenses on brand xyz not know on which camera body they are best used and perform the best? If so, then why all these threads about using this lens on body xy and cd.

Do most folk here not know the difference between a 35mm full frame, a MF,
a LF and so on? Then why this comparison? To inform the already informed?

Of course one does not need to travel, or buy expensive equipment to take good photographs. They can be made anywhere. And they are.
But the opposite also holds true.

Let me repeat: your money, buy whatever you like and enjoy it in good health.

In the same vein, permit to say: Use what you have and see how far you can go. Is my camera the barrier to my photography?
Make the decision based on that is what I maintain.

Now tell me shall the M10 be introduced at Photokina, and is cmos based?
That interests me. And is it weather sealed? And are you selling your M( and/or M9-P?) ;)

Take care.

p.s some cameras can take better technical images than others. No denying that. But then I am much less enamored of technical details than others. For my kind of photography.

Thorkil

wonderful pictures and refreshing anti-statement!
Suits my own scaling-down and going-simple thoughts well.
Relief in mind and soul.
(although just a little M10....payed over 24 month, of course, could be...)
By the way, that muddy picture is taken with?(M?)
Thorkil

jonoslack

Now tell me shall the M10 be introduced at Photokina, and is cmos based?
That interests me. And is it weather sealed? And are you selling your M( and/or M9-P?) ;)

Take care.

p.s some cameras can take better technical images than others. No denying that. But then I am much less enamored of technical details than others. For my kind of photography.
HI There Ray
Let's turn this around - I actually have a mantra about photography, which I remind myself of frequently:

If a photograph is interesting, nobody cares if it's technically good. If a photograph isn't interesting, nobody cares at all

So, you see, we can agree completely about that. Actually I'm also much less enamoured of technical details than others - which is why I don't have a Medium format camera, and why I've sold all my dSLR gear and settled with a little Olympus OMD to go with my M9. It's also why I never use a tripod, and probably why I spend as little time as possible doing Post Processing.

. . . . so what the hell am I arguing about? (I hear you say). Well, just that I think of the technical aspects of photography (and spending time on internet forums) as a completely separate activity - but still an interesting one.

Ah! the M10 - if I knew, then I guess I'd be under some kind of NDA, and then I wouldn't be allowed to tell you . . . . and if I didn't know . . .then I'd be guessing!

all the best . . and keep posting the lovely photos!

rayyan

wonderful pictures and refreshing anti-statement!
Suits my own scaling-down and going-simple thoughts well.
Relief in mind and soul.
(although just a little M10....payed over 24 month, of course, could be...)
By the way, that muddy picture is taken with?(M?)
Thorkil
Thanks Thorkil.

The image was made with a D-Lux4.

Kind regards.

jonoslack

nicely said, Jono... mind if I steal it and use it somewhere else (blog)? (with proper credit, of course)
Be my guest! I'm not sure it's profound enough to deserve a credit, but I do think it's a good reality check for those of us with severe cases of GAS.

all the best

rayyan

New products galore!! For sale product sections full of yesterdays wonders!!

Can pick last years antiques relatively cheap..even two for the price of one!!
Roll on Photokina 2013!! I might pick up some film this year!

Tim

Is it just me or is there something quite awesome about this image. I can't say why but my eyes/brain love it...

Something to do with the busy detail of the small boats, the repetition of the big boats and the white space of the sky with the gulls hanging...

I can't really quite say why BUT it gels?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Is it just me or is there something quite awesome about this image. I can't say why but my eyes/brain love it...

Something to do with the busy detail of the small boats, the repetition of the big boats and the white space of the sky with the gulls hanging...

It's not only you, it's me to :)

It's an awesome photo :thumbs:

rayyan

It's not only you, it's me to :)

It's an awesome photo :thumbs:
Tim, Jorgen..

Very much appreciated gentlemen.:salute:

Thorkil

No, you are quit right...there is something about 40% of Orson Welles, Citizen Kane, perhaps 20% of HCB some 15% Lee Friedländer or....and the rest?...yes its hitting something very special oldfashion mood...
Thorkil
Ps Rayyan. which camera, lens, and f.8 or?(you don't have to find it/answer)

rayyan

No, you are quit right...there is something about 40% of Orson Welles, Citizen Kane, perhaps 20% of HCB some 15% Lee Friedländer or....and the rest?...yes its hitting something very special oldfashion mood...
Thorkil
Ps Rayyan. which camera, lens, and f.8 or?(you don't have to find it/answer)
Thorkil, very grateful for your kind words. And re: Orson Welles..it just happens that 50 mts on the right of the sitting seagull is the exact location where his 1952 film ' Othello ''s opening scene was shot. The camera then pans across the scene you see here. Essouira, Morocco.

The camera was the D-Lux4, f/8 indeed.

Thank you once again.:salute: