The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Thorkil

Nice to hear some alternativ remarks to shutter-clicks :), keep on guys. Even it for a dane is black talk.
Thorkil

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Quentin,

Tho' some may well have described Thaxted as the finest, no less an authority than Queen Elizabeth the First!! once said of St. Mary Redcliffe in Bristol-"..the fairest, goodliest, and most famous parish church in England". It may well have been parochial in her day, but I doubt if she would describe it thus today.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin,

Tho' some may well have described Thaxted as the finest, no less an authority than Queen Elizabeth the First!! once said of St. Mary Redcliffe in Bristol-"..the fairest, goodliest, and most famous parish church in England". It may well have been parochial in her day, but I doubt if she would describe it thus today.
Fortunately, Thaxted has not changed as much... One of the advantages of being on the road to nowhere...;)

Thorkil

:rolleyes: They have now sold Christiania to the residents, so the last anti-kapitalistic-bastion has yet fallen:eek:, and the alternativ "left-government"(Helle & Co.) are right now throwing unemployed people out of the social-security-system, so they better find a new field where people can put up permanent tents soon....and with the other hand they are giving tax-reductions...things are going upside-down these days....this is the "New-Denmark" I guess...I didn't thought it would come to that in Denmark...
and for that I will need a Merril or GRD...to report with...:cool:
Well better keep my mouth shut now;)
Thorkil
(sorry...lets hurry back to topic:)

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Back on topic, another from the Thaxted shoot, Clarence House.

The detail in the orginal has to be seen to be believed. Beats 6x7 film (I know because I took an very similar shot of the same building some years ago on 6x7 film)

Thorkil

What a wonderful picture(!) of a wonderful house.
Now the dilemma arises. Jack and Guy seems to have persuaded my mind to give a 18 Zeiss a try on my 800E, and that I will do.
But I also envy your skils considering pp and posting.
But it sounds somewhat rather intriguing that, what I think we are seing, is right, it competes in a way with medium or perhaps even large format IQ wise. And all that in just a litle pocket size. I might give up DSLR's at all.

But meanwhile Baroso (and Helle) have told us to solve the finansial crises with a kick-start. Personally, that I couldn't sit down overhearing, so I bought the M-modul for my GXR :eek: so the 21 Elmarit was happy coming down the shelf and taking a walk.
So while I'm considering the future for the 800E(and the DP1M) I will try tomorrow to practise oploading, and thought of oploading fullsize to Viglink or something else. Isn't that the way, and then one just put the link in, or?
Practical advises are welcome.
Best
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

So, I wondered, what does a DP2 image look like when uprezzed to about 60mp? Is it a pocket medium format camera?

60mp is where the top of the range Hasselblad resides, and the IQ160 from Phase One. Can the DP2M match its performance in resolution terms?. Am I barking mad to even consider this a sensible challenge?

Form your own view. I have uploaded the above hand-held DP2M shot of Clarence house at 200%, roughly equivalent to a 59mp image (9408 x 6272)

Here is the link (below). Warning - *very* large jpeg file at max quality. The image was rezzed up using Photozoom Pro 4, S-Spline Max algorithm, some subsequent minor sharpening and a touch of grain added for realism. Not for a slow bandwith connection. sRGB.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9806585/59mp upscale of DP2M image.jpg

It's not perfect, but is it in my opinion very good. No visible halos. This is a massive enlargement, but there is still a lot of detail. In print, I would wager it would be hard to detect it was not from a MF camera. There is some smearing of fine detail, but I decoded with standard NR so I could reduce that by decoding again with NR turned off. In other words, I did not make any particuar effort to minimise NR impact and I had sharpening turned down in Sigma Photo Pro. I have no idea if the end result would have been even better if I had chosen other settings. I just took a punt with this image. Also I perpective corrected the image which will affect pixel level shaprness.

The limits of the sensor resolution can nonetheless be seen.

I am sure I can do better.

Quentin

Thorkil

Thanks Quentin, when it comes to that, yes it is rather fantastic, at my screen its about 220 cm's wide. And yes the tiles at the roof are smearing etc., just like artistic-painted, and the stones in the forground and so, but the sign at the right Windmill etc. are totally sharp and the bricks are well defined, so are the windows.
Yes that is impressive. I dont think my 800E will be able to do it better or even as good!
Best
Thorkil
Ps. hope C1 can take the raw-files, do you know anything of that?
pps, now it even speaks even more to my going-simple-idea.

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Thorkil

S-Spline Max does add some smearing, as does NR. But that aside, the net result, to me, was fairly extraordinary, particulary factoring in the fact I had not made any special effort (yet).

Sorry, I know nothing of C1. I use Phocus for the H4D-50 and usually ACR. But it does not support the DP2 M yet

Quentin

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Quentin,

Must say it all seems rather exciting at the moment. I'm a relative newcomer to all this computerised digital malarkey and know not much about the innards of all these toys, but there does seem to be some game-changing stuff happening.

The Foveon looks grand and if you're claiming the 6x7 high ground for it I'm doing the same 35mm wise for the RX100. I have no access to getting large prints done but one day I'm going to divide one of my pics into 6 or 9 pieces, make a print of each piece and join together to form something like a 20"x30" image, just for fun. Back in the day I made some lovely 'Hockneyesqe' joiners.

Some of my 10x8 negs were printed up to 9ft. x 6ft. and were magical.

Your pics are great to look at.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

jonoslack

Impressive indeed Q . . . how does the camera behave? is it a bit snappier than the DP1?

The Foveon looks grand and if you're claiming the 6x7 high ground for it I'm doing the same 35mm wise for the RX100.
I think that Q also has an RX100 (haven't you Q?). Of course, they're quite different beasts, but I'd be fascinated to see a side by side comparison at base ISO, and equivalent focal lengths.

Over to You Q!

all the best

p.s. the shots are lovely - but that's you and not the camera!

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin,

Must say it all seems rather exciting at the moment. I'm a relative newcomer to all this computerised digital malarkey and know not much about the innards of all these toys, but there does seem to be some game-changing stuff happening.

The Foveon looks grand and if you're claiming the 6x7 high ground for it I'm doing the same 35mm wise for the RX100. I have no access to getting large prints done but one day I'm going to divide one of my pics into 6 or 9 pieces, make a print of each piece and join together to form something like a 20"x30" image, just for fun. Back in the day I made some lovely 'Hockneyesqe' joiners.

Some of my 10x8 negs were printed up to 9ft. x 6ft. and were magical.

Your pics are great to look at.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.
Hi Gandolfi,

Many thanks, it is all rather fun :D

I have an Epson 7900 and can and do print up to 24" wide. That's a decent size, perticularly wiuth a 24 x 36 or so print, matted and framed. I actually need all that resolution (sometimes)!

I also have an RX100 and its a great pocket camera. But it does not have the pixel level quality of the DP2M. Then again the DP2M is a fixed focal length lens camera.

I loved 10x8. I used to drum scan 4x5 and 10x8 transparencies on my Howtek D4500 drum scanner. All in the past now.

Quentin

Quentin_Bargate

Impressive indeed Q . . . how does the camera behave? is it a bit snappier than the DP1?

I think that Q also has an RX100 (haven't you Q?). Of course, they're quite different beasts, but I'd be fascinated to see a side by side comparison at base ISO, and equivalent focal lengths.

Over to You Q!

all the best

p.s. the shots are lovely - but that's you and not the camera!
Hi Jono

Belated happy birthday to you, and thanks for the kind comments! sorry I missed the actual day.

Yes, my RX100 is going strong, but...the DP2M *sigh*....

jonoslack

I also have an RX100 and its a great pocket camera. But it does not have the pixel level quality of the DP2M. Then again the DP2M is a fixed focal length lens camera.
Hi Jono

Belated happy birthday to you, and thanks for the kind comments! sorry I missed the actual day.

Yes, my RX100 is going strong, but...the DP2M *sigh*....
Birthdays are to be missed (if possible), but comparisons between a DP2 and an RX100 at equivalent focal lengths and Apertures are not.

I'm sure you're right, but let's have a look (pretty please!)

Thorkil

A bit ashamed I must join Gandolfi in our lacking wisdom doing all the different computerstuff. So your talk of Photozoom Pro 4, S-Spline Max algorithm etc. are just plain Black talk for me. The C1 is for me the most intuitive system, and the one I have to rely on. But it seems like they don't support Sigma camera's. But can one just convert the files to TIFF in the Sigma software? and then carry on in C1. Perhaps thats the way to go?
Thorkil

Quentin_Bargate

A bit ashamed I must join Gandolfi in our lacking wisdom doing all the different computerstuff. So your talk of Photozoom Pro 4, S-Spline Max algorithm etc. are just plain Black talk for me. The C1 is for me the most intuitive system, and the one I have to rely on. But it seems like they don't support Sigma camera's. But can one just convert the files to TIFF in the Sigma software? and then carry on in C1. Perhaps thats the way to go?
Thorkil
Absolutely that would work just fine. Its what I do except I post process in Photoshop. Photozoom Pro is a resizing program with a nimber of useful options. Works as a plug in and standalone program.