The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-6 discussion

V

Vivek

A few initial impressions from the past few hours..

The EVF is nice but when compared to the EVF of NEX-7, there is a clear difference. The 7's EVF much better.

The kitzoom 16-50 PZ is only tiny while not in use. Convenient to transport. That is all the positive I have about that zoom.

The 18-55 is better.

The camera (NEX-6) balances well, the controls are visible and are really useful. It does come with a hotshoe flash cover. Every fit (hotshoe cover) controls (on off switch included), LCD tilt, etc are a bit tight and work only with a bit of resistance.

The video button can be switched off although it is located out of the way.
I am yet to assign custom functions but all the useful stuff I need are already there without any customization.

I have to check out the Apps section and see if I can buy anything that would be useful.

Overall a very useful camera. :thumbs:

F

flint-hill

Would you mind saying a little more about the 16-50? What didn't you like about it? In what ways did you find it inferior to the 18-55? Are there specific defects or aberrations that you noticed? At specific focal length ranges, maybe?

I'm very curious about this lens, and I respect your judgment on such things, so I'd love to learn more of what you think of it.

simonclivehughes

Vivek, it seemed to me looking at the pictures you posted in the other thread you started that the images were not very sharp, especially on the edges of some. Looked like the AF wasn't hitting the intended area. Were you zone focusing?

Cheers,

redsim74

Would you mind saying a little more about the 16-50? What didn't you like about it? In what ways did you find it inferior to the 18-55? Are there specific defects or aberrations that you noticed? At specific focal length ranges, maybe?
+1 to some further discussion around this.

V

Vivek

I'm very curious about this lens, and I respect your judgment on such things, so I'd love to learn more of what you think of it.
At the widest, it reminds me of the 16mm f/2.8.

Simon has a point, I think. The shots I show were done under very cloudy conditions (total cloud cover) and the AF might have misfired (I had the phase contrast points on).

I checked the CV 15/4.5 I have yesterday (indoors) and I still like that a lot. The 16-50 is not for me. I rarely use zooms. I have the 18-55 because it came with the 2nd NEX-7 bought.

The zoom does not have a hood. Has 40.5mm filters.

V

Vivek

I also suspect that the NEX-6 has an AA filter like NEX-5 and 7 and unlike the C3, 5N and F3.

This will be confirmed when I open up one in the near future.

A tid-bit:

The camera weighs 288g and the camera manual weighs 260g.

Last edited:
D

DamonJoyce

I checked the CV 15/4.5 I have yesterday (indoors) and I still like that a lot. The 16-50 is not for me. I rarely use zooms. I have the 18-55 because it came with the 2nd NEX-7 bought.
You feel that it has the same AA filter as the 5 and 7, but not the 5N and C3. Do you get purple colorcast on the 6 with the CV15 like you do with the 7, or is it clean like the 5N? This is the $1,000 question!

Also, on the 7, I have the MF assist set to the AEL button (easy to find in the EVF when using alt lenses). Can you set MF to any useful button other than A or B (like Fn, or AEL)?

V

Vivek

Absolutely no color fringing and such problems with the C-V 15/4.5 (and several other manual focus lenses) on the NEX-6.

I have not looked at the AEL button customization but I would think it can be set to manual assist (magnification).

Also, under the PASM wheel there is one more wheel. Very useful and is very accessible while shooting.

I will be buying at least another body very soon. The camera is superb.:thumbs:

V

Vivek

They are certainly NOT and Sony lied (there is an youtube piece where the Sony guy claims they are the same).

Looking at the 6's EVF is like looking at a fine pitched TFT monitor. Not very annoying but it is there.

V

Vivek

There is no difference between this (NEX-6) and the 5N with respect to C-V 15/4.5. That is what I meant. I will check photographing my monitor for color shifts.

santiclaws

They are certainly NOT and Sony lied (there is an youtube piece where the Sony guy claims they are the same).

Looking at the 6's EVF is like looking at a fine pitched TFT monitor. Not very annoying but it is there.
I wonder if there is something wrong with yours. Every single preview from a professional publication I've read has said that the EVF is exactly the same as on the 7, which I assume is what Sony told them. I can't fathom Sony lying to everyone, that would be disastrous for them.

V

Vivek

I wonder if there is something wrong with yours. Every single preview from a professional publication I've read has said that the EVF is exactly the same as on the 7, which I assume is what Sony told them. I can't fathom Sony lying to everyone, that would be disastrous for them.
Quite possible. The 6's EVF is not as good as the 7 (2 samples from very different batches).

Taylor Sherman

Absolutely no color fringing and such problems with the C-V 15/4.5 (and several other manual focus lenses) on the NEX-6.
Dear Vivek,

Please allow me to present my polite argument that this statement could give one the wrong impression. As evidence, I do in fact see color fringing in your photograph with the combination, as seen in this thread:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/sony/41316-fun-nex-6-a.html#post462062

I should not normally be this presumptuous, but I think perhaps you meant to say that the color fringing is no worse than on the Nex-5N. I have a funny feeling that is the case, please forgive me if I am wrong.

yours sincerely,
Taylor

bcm

I'd agree with Taylor. The shots with the 15 do look like they have colour cast on the edges. Nowhere near as bad as the ZM 25 on my NEX 7 though.

V

Vivek

It is no worse compared to the NEX-C3 or NEX-5N. I believe that is what the original query was about (post #7). Certain posts got eliminated as they were going off topic and towards personal attacks. I thank the site administration for their kind and immediate action.

Here is a link to a full sized image. OOC jpg. NEX-6, C-V 15/4.5, f/5.6, ISO100.

All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

JimBuchanan

As a NEX-7 user with the latest firmware and LR with the Flat Field plug-in, I'm still interested in the image quality of the NEX-6 and rangefinder wides such as the C-V 15/4.5.

The link to a full sized image looks pretty good, but is a NEX-6 OOC jpg doctored in any way? it would be nice to have access to a RAW file, somehow.

On a separate note, I was able to get decent corners with the CV 15/4.5 on my NEX-7, if I focused and exposed for the extreme corners, then run Cornerfix. I see smeared corners in the lower left and right, and sharp far distance objects in the upper right. Maybe this image would benefit from corner focus improvement? Just a thought.

V

Vivek

I will be getting my upgrade to LR3 next week. When I said OOC jpg, that is what it is. What the camera does to RAW files and jpgs, I have no clue.