The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-6 discussion

V

Vivek

Customization is limited to only two buttons- the AEL and soft key B.

After having battled with the menu for an hour, I think there are problems with the firmware version 1.0.

soft key B appears to have a mind of its own and the function button appears non responsive to changes.

A set back but I am confident that SOny will update this sometime soon.

The wheel under the PASM wheel has very limited use and its look do not reflect its usefulness at all.

V

Vivek

There is one positive with FW updates.

The 18-55 and the 24/1.8 after updates to FW Version 2 (simple and fast) allow the use of phase detection (AF) in NEX-6.

Now, the 50/1.8 OSS, Sigma DN 30/2.8 and the 30/3.5 Macro are without these updates and do not activate phase detection.

I would particularly like an update for the Sigma DN 30/2.8.

PDAF, as Sony claimed, appears to offer faster auto focus indeed.

thrice

The EVF is the same as the A99.
Improved response speed and also behaviour with high-gained subjects in low light.
I've shot extensively with the A99 and NEX-6.
Unfortunately my experiences with the EVF do not mirror Vivek's, I found it vastly superior to the slower/blockier EVF in the NEX-7/A77.

V

Vivek

That is good to hear, Daniel, as I will be getting one more soon for UV/IR work and will have a chance to check.

Do you find any problems with the customization and the control wheels or you just had the cam on loan for testing?

Justinl

Just thought I'd make an account at last. I have had a Nex 7 which I sold 6 months ago and now have a Nex 6 . My friend still has his 7 so I have been able to compare the VF. My findings are the same as Daniel's I find the 6 VF to be more detailed and a faster refresh rate than the 7's.

I haven't used the 6 enough yet but I prefer it ergonomically to the 7, the control dial with the ring underneath is far better than the Tri-Nav. I also for some reason think it feels better in the hand. I have also had no cases of overheating for the video after a couple of tests. I'll get out this week properly with the camera and hopefully give a more in-depth report.

V

Vivek

Ben, I used Leica R, Nikon F and Olympus pen F for tracking (all manual focus). Now, it is quite different as the child is photo conscious. So, it is a straight no or on very rare occasion, a proper pose.

The big question with the NEX-6 is why an even number? :D

You will get there pretty soon. Enjoy every minute! :)

Justinl

I read on dpreview that Sony does not provide a battery charger with the kit...is that true?
Correct you charge directly through the camera now via micro usb. advantage is you can now charge the camera as long as you have access to a computer and usb or micro usb plug.

simonclivehughes

Correct you charge directly through the camera now via micro usb. advantage is you can now charge the camera as long as you have access to a computer and usb or micro usb plug.
In which case you probably had access to an AC socket... not sure I follow your logic here. :wtf:

I'd much rather have a standalone charger that I can have a battery charging in while I'm out shooting. This is just the manufacturer chipping away at what they provide to the customer while raising their margin. :mad:

Cheers,

Justinl

In which case you probably had access to an AC socket... not sure I follow your logic here. :wtf:

I'd much rather have a standalone charger that I can have a battery charging in while I'm out shooting. This is just the manufacturer chipping away at what they provide to the customer while raising their margin. :mad:

Cheers,
How about a car, or a computer or a battery pack it gives tons more choices as it is using a standard micro usb connector for the charging cable! I am sure you will be able to buy a charging pack as an added accessory if you really need one.
I find this a far more elegant solution than having a separate charger and ac plug and then having to find a plug socket, it's just like charging a mobile phone now, for me it's progress rather than a margin issue, they are trying to standardise everything which for us as a consumer is far better. You are out and about, misplace your charger unit, how easy is it to get a new one, whereas to replace a micro usb cable.....:toocool:

V

Vivek

The USB charging affair has its plusses and negatives. Emergency charging is fine and easy.

The camera's battery will drain any laptop's battery very quickly.

I like the stand alone charger myself (and I have quite a few now).

simonclivehughes

While I agree that USB charging can offer some advantages, I see no reason not to include a charger with a camera when it is sold. Other than, of course, to save the manufacturer money, and force the consumer to pay more for a standalone unit.

Cheers,

V

Vivek

I am not sure how much money is saved by this USB charging business, Simon.

The NEX-6 comes with a mains to USB (5V, 500mA) converter.

Maybe in the future they will make that also as an option?

Taylor Sherman

Regarding the EVF - a good point was raised on the FM Alt forums. The EVF itself may be better, but the image could still be worse (or at least different enough for some to prefer the Nex-7). It depends on the sensor and the real-time processing done to create the RGB image shown.

V

Vivek

I don't know if the stupid WiFi can be turned off for good. Its location right below the EVF possibly causes problems. I have seen banding (red colored lines, fortunately they do not get recorded) depending on the location that never occurs with the NEX-7.

bipbip

Hello. I've just bought this camera after using a Panasonic G1 for 3 years. I was hoping for better 800 and 1600ISO than the G1. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but at these ISOs I get lots of noise in RAW and jpegs are so mushy they look like watercolors - at 100%.

bcm

Ben, I used Leica R, Nikon F and Olympus pen F for tracking (all manual focus). Now, it is quite different as the child is photo conscious. So, it is a straight no or on very rare occasion, a proper pose.

The big question with the NEX-6 is why an even number? :D

You will get there pretty soon. Enjoy every minute! :)
Sadly no.1 is at the stage of "no" already. No.2 is too young to understand what is happening so I'm making the most of that while I can.

I only use manual glass as well but was just curious if you'd tried AF on the 6.

pophoto

Vivek or other Nex6 owners:

I am interested to know how the shutter sounds on the Nex6. I own the original 5 and 5n, and one thing that has always bothered me is the shutter sound is quite audible and a sharp mechanical sound and not well dampened! Is this still the case with the Nex6?

Thank you in advance!
Po