View Single Post
Old 24th January 2013   #142
Vivek
Super Duper

Re: Speed booster for NEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunim View Post
I am sitting here fooling with my newly delivered L/R - E mount (Leica R to NEX)Speed Booster. So far there are issues. I have three older R lenses, all from about 1967.

My 135 Elmarit R 2.8 seems to fit OK. Focus throw is full range on the lens. So far, looks nice at center, softening towards the corners.

However, I have a 35 Elmarit R 2.8 amd a 50 Summicron R 2 that do not fit. The focus scale turns to about 3' (50mm) and 10' (35mm) and there is then a hard conflict between the back of the lens barrel and the housing of the adapter.

This is all very new to me. First time with older Leica lenses and first time with the NEX7. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
Peter, My SB has not reached me yet but since I plan to use my 50/2 Summicron, I just took a look at it.

If you set your 50 focus distance at 0.7 meters, you should be able to mount it in your SB. But do not adjust the distance to anything farther! This risks damaging the SB's optics!
It is not the cam but the lens shroud at the rear that causes the obstruction, I think. Even if you trade/buy 3 cam lenses, you would still face the same problem. I would think that trimming the shroud (and painting the exposed shiny metal black after that) would solve the mounting issue. The same applies to your Elmarit 35 as well. This shroud problem is non existent in case of use with a Canon body (except may be only one lens). OTOH, here, the registry has shortened due to the SB optics coming in to play.

In case of your 135mm Elmarit, there are no shroud problems to deal with.

I should be able to give a definitive answer in a few days. I am really looking forward to using the 50/2 Summicron.
Vivek is offline   Reply With Quote