View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2013   #157
scott kirkpatrick

Send a message via Skype™ to scott kirkpatrick
Re: Fun with the Olympus Zuiko 11-22 4/3 lens

(on my E-P5, actually, as the E-M1 is in transit)

I took the 11/22 out for a stress test, to see how the AF works on the older 16 MPx generation Pens and to see if its resolution really holds up on the later chips. After all, this lens was shipped with the E-1, which had only 5 MPx.

Just outside Jerusalem, we have some awe-inspiring construction in progress. The new heavy rail line needs to ascend gradually from the airport to a depot in the center of town, 1500' higher. There are hills in the way, so the train tunnels through the hills and then flies across the valleys over things like this:

The final link for the train to burrow into the basement of the city leaps about 500 m across a wide valley, using a series of substantial pillars:

everything is bristling with wires, ladders, and scaffolding, providing a natural resolution test:

so here's a 100% crop:

It looks like the 11-22 has ample resolution to work with 16 MP of M43 pixels. The AF is another story. On the E-P5 with only contrast AF, this lens focuses erratically and is hard to control. I'm hoping this problem is solved in the E-M1.

scott
scott kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote