The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP1 Merrill Shots

The Ute

I have both the DP1 and 2 Merrills.

Thought I find the overall image quality of the DP2 superior the DP1 is no slouch IMO.

I use it in Canyons and other places where a wider FOV is needed.

I shoot mostly Landscapes so a lot of my work is done at F16 on a tripod.

The results w the DP1 at those settings are good enough to produce beautiful
20 x 30's or even larger.

I would say I use the DP1 the great majority of the time.

Guess some of it depends on what type of shooter you are and what your subjects tend to be.

Used properly I see little or no regression from what the DP2 can do.

Hope that helps.

:)

Sapphie

I can confirm that the DP1M is good - it is now my DP2M's companion. At least, it works well if you put the correct lens hood on it!!! LOL! I accidentally put my DP2M hood on it yesterday and after reviewing a dozen shots in a shady spot I noticed a much more than expected light fall-off in the corners, LOL! The hoods fit on each camera and look mostly identical except the one for the DP1M has a larger opening :) I would keep them permanently attached but I like to put my lens caps on at the end of the day and "cap + hood" does not work.

I won't make that beginner's mistake again ...
Lee

foveon

...I shoot mostly Landscapes so a lot of my work is done at F16 on a tripod....
Dont get this point, at f16 the lense looses a lot of quality because of diffraction,

at f8 its much better and depth of field extends from 3.73 ft to infinity

just focus at the hyperfocal distance of 7.46 ft

Regards

Martin

Kyndel

Dont get this point, at f16 the lense looses a lot of quality because of diffraction,

at f8 its much better and depth of field extends from 3.73 ft to infinity

just focus at the hyperfocal distance of 7.46 ft

Regards

Martin
I was about the write the same = 100 % agree

Kyndel

Stopping down to f/4 increases the resolution to 2,513 lines, and quality doesn't suffer until you get down to f/8, where the score dips to a still impressive 2,360 lines due to diffraction, and then it goes further down.

So already from f. 5.6 to f. 8 you loose some resolution, but gain some dof, and the balance should be OK at f. 8, because you need dof for your scapes.

Kyndel

I have just ordered the Sigma DP1 Merrill (I have the DP2 Merrill), and if they have had the Sigma DP3M with the hood, I am not sure I have ordered this also;);).

This clarity, this sharpness, I love it.

Kyndel

Added: Soundimageplus wrote:

"The 19mm lens has a little more CA than the DP2 Merrill and at wide apertures the corners can be slightly softer than the centre, but not by much. However that centre is probably slightly sharper than the DP2 Merrill. Thats it. Not much else to say really. Its probably the sharpest results from any camera ever made at ISO 100 this side of a Hassleblad MF back, and it may even produce results that are sharper than that. Its that good."

....................So if it is sharper in the center, than DP2M it is nothing less than fantastic - ............any comments about that ??

Kyndel

Got it yesterday and shot yesterday and today.

Even it is not as sharp as the DP2M it can compete with my Nikon D7100 (24MP, and some says it is sharper than the D800E (Michael Erlevine, Nikon Gear and author of some photo -E-books)) and Nikon 24mm f/1.4G, so I surely keep it.

But I must say: There is a "wow-factor" from the DP2M - it is like being there.

--

Now thinking about the DP3M - inspired by Hulyss Bowman.

This GAS will never stop ;);)

Collin Orthner

Haven't seen any new posts here for a bit. I made this image recently at the Mesa Art Center in, you guessed it, Mesa, Arizona. I added the Ricoh GW3 wide adapter, as I have quite a bit lately. It seems to work great.