The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

Knorp

Re: Shutter Shock at 784 mm in Portrait Mode!

I'm trying to resist any interest in the Sony; I suppose that I'm reading and responding to this thread is a bad sign ;).
I thought I'd mention that I've used the Sunwayfoto very effectively to stabilize a 600mm lens; I did modify it a bit and will add the Manfrotto (mounted on the portrait plate) if I need shutter speeds around 1/15s. Pretty much rock solid, but makes changing camera position much more complex. One more comment: I do keep my hands and body weight pressed against the camera, a technique I was forced to learn with the Pentax 67.

Tom

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
I'm almost there, Tom.
Very pleased with the Sunwayfoto products so far. Thanks for the heads-up and this picture of your rig :thumbup:
Only need (yet) another QR-plate for the lens and a double QR-clamp to attach to the long rail and I'm good to go :toocool:

For those interested in Sunwayfoto's the "Custom L bracket for Sony α7 PSL-α7" a note of warning though, as this is what a UK dealer sent me today:
Unfortunately, Sunwayfoto's new PSL-α7 has had to be re-designed. It has a flaw in where mouting on a horizontal axis causes slipping.

We hope to have their updated re-design shortly, but please do not buy this from anywhere as you will receive one that does not work properly!
All the very best.

Godfrey

off topic question:

I saw mention of Sunway Photo and thought someone on this thread might have experience ... I'm interested in the Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 tripod head but need to integrate it with my existing standard Arca-Swiss type camera and lens plates. I see Sunway Photo makes a clamp specifically for the P0:

Sunway DDY-64i QR clamp

I was wondering if anyone here had tried this clamp. My heaviest/longest lenses are the Leica Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 (3lbs or so) and the Olympus ZD 50-200/2.8-3.5 + EC-14 (560mm EFoV) ... I am a little concerned that the short length of the clamping area might prove too little for lenses this heavy.

Thanks ... sorry for the digression. :)

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Godfrey the PO is a nice head but going on Vertical with any weight and bulk it may come up short. Now with clamp included I have the Z2 but the Z1 would hold a elephant on a vertical and just rated higher. It seems like some money and bulk but a great head you just can't go wrong. Heck you could even go with lighter legs but I have seen too many heads with lens sag as they are just not strong enough. This one will not sag

Amazon.com: Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 Single Pan Ballhead with Quick Release: Camera & Photo

Coming from MF and tech cams this head never ever let me down. I have the DP version for double pan but the single is just as good.

Godfrey

Godfrey the PO is a nice head but going on Vertical with any weight and bulk it may come up short. Now with clamp included I have the Z2 but the Z1 would hold a elephant on a vertical and just rated higher. It seems like some money and bulk but a great head you just can't go wrong. Heck you could even go with lighter legs but I have seen too many heads with lens sag as they are just not strong enough. This one will not sag

Amazon.com: Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 Single Pan Ballhead with Quick Release: Camera & Photo

Coming from MF and tech cams this head never ever let me down. I have the DP version for double pan but the single is just as good.
Thanks!

Looks to be a great head, but is definitely way more than I need. MOST of my gear is way under anything that would require such a head, and even of my two "heavy" lenses, the ZD 50-200 has its own foot to enable portrait or landscape orientation without moving the head to a side position, and the Hasselblad's square format of course eliminates the need for rotation. Only the big Leica R 180 (which does have a tripod mounting) could use a solution for 90° rotation, and that's not a big deal—I use it infrequently and doubt I'd miss it.

I'm very tempted to just get one and see how it works out. ...

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's one of those better to be big things if you know what I mean. It's returnable too if you go amazon or B&H

k-hawinkler

Josh Lehrer from the Leica Store Miami just informed that he will ship my Leica R Adapter M tomorrow. I had ordered the item only earlier this month.
I will use it with Novoflex M to E and M to MFT adapters on my Sony and Olympus cameras, including A7R and E-M1. And maybe on a future M360? :D

It seems to me that the availability of the Sony A7/R has taken the pressure of availability issues for Leica gear. ;)

algrove

Josh Lehrer from the Leica Store Miami just informed that he will ship my Leica R Adapter M tomorrow. I had ordered the item only earlier this month.
I will use it with Novoflex M to E and M to MFT adapters on my Sony and Olympus cameras, including A7R and E-M1. And maybe on a future M360? :D

It seems to me that the availability of the Sony A7/R has taken the pressure of availability issues for Leica gear. ;)
Congrats K-H.

Also could be that since most of us waited for over a year for this simple adapter, we decided to buy the Novoflex especially after they started offering it with 6 bit coding.

I received mine for Christmas over 15 months after using it at Photokina and I ordered it the same day I first saw it, 18 September 2012.

tsjanik

Thanks!

Looks to be a great head, but is definitely way more than I need. MOST of my gear is way under anything that would require such a head, and even of my two "heavy" lenses, the ZD 50-200 has its own foot to enable portrait or landscape orientation without moving the head to a side position, and the Hasselblad's square format of course eliminates the need for rotation. Only the big Leica R 180 (which does have a tripod mounting) could use a solution for 90° rotation, and that's not a big deal—I use it infrequently and doubt I'd miss it.

I'm very tempted to just get one and see how it works out. ...

G
Godfrey:

I agree with Guy. If you look at the image Bart posted just above, it shows a Z1 holding a 12 lb. lens. I bought the head originally to use with a Pentax 67 and a 500mm, after having had some trouble with other heads. The Z1 can be adjusted so that it is easy to reposition the camera with no danger of flop or creep, even with a system as heavy as that pictured. Great head and fairly light. Were I to change anything, I would get the screw clamp rather than the flip lock. it might be overkill for your system, but it will be useful for anything you might use in the future.

Tom

Last edited:

jfirneno

That's a nice shot. Good light. Very sharp across the frame. How did you focus this? Did you use magnification on one or more areas? I'm assuming a tripod? Anyway, well done.

Regards,
John