The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone takes their Leica M240 out in the drizzle?

silver92b

Today I had a wonderful day taking pictures with my M240 and the 50mm Planar. But later in the evening it began to rain lightly and I saw lots of opportunities for interesting images. But I wonder if it's foolish or dangerous (for the camera/lens) to expose it to drizzling rain or excessive humidity...

And BTW, I am in total love with this camera :D It is just awesome! All I needed to do was to pay attention to the settings and hold the camera steady and don't move it while pressing the shutter button. The colors and the IQ are mind blowing!

silver92b

I was out in the cold tonight. The biggest issue was that my hands got so cold I could not feel them :).

This was captured with the CV 25f4...

algrove

In drizzle it works fine. Heavy rain might be an issue since the lenses are less weather reisitant than the body. Put electrical tape over the top holes. I plan on taking mine to Iceland with the RX1 as a backup in case problems crop up.

jonoslack

I've had mine out in fairly heavy rain on numerous occasions without trouble. Not recommending that to anyone else. Just saying!

250swb

Mine was used in heavy rain on many occasions so the weather sealing claim is valid. As for the lenses they don't tend to let water in anyway, the tolerances are tighter than the body to start with and as long as you have a filter on the lens water has to travel a long way before it would get inside.

JohnBrew

I've never had a moisture problem with any of my Leica's. Perhaps I'm just lucky but I'm not one to let the weather keep me from shooting. I wish I was as weather resistant as the Leica's!

rich_

I've never had a problem with the rain. What scares me every time is when I keep the camera in an air-conditioned room then go outside in the summer HK humidity. The sensor condensates and I always worry! But I've not had any issues for the last 2 years with that. I just have to stay strong and wait for the condensation to evaporate rather than wipe!

silver92b

Great posts everyone! Thank you, this is very reassuring information. I won't be going out in downpours or taking it in white water rafting trips, but I will not be so concerned about a few minor drops of water or heavy mist, snow and what not. I will treat it like I do the Olympus EM-1

Thanks again!

baudolino

Thanks for the compliment. The picture is from my December trip to Uganda and Rwanda. The rest of the pictures are here, if you are interested:

Uganda & Rwanda 2014 - OpenEyesPhoto

Doing a trip like this beats buying any new piece of camera equipment, as far as I am concerned :) Enjoy your new Leica. Best, Martin

aDam007

I've taken mine out in monsoon weather in a tropical rainforest :D
Just to add, I'm more worried about the lenses then the body. BUT, I haven't had any issues, although I didn't test every lens I own in the rain.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
But don't get cocky, as I did. I have taken my M240 in some awful conditions over the past couple of years. This photo was taken in a driving rain when it was almost new; i never had a problem. Until now. I was in Iceland last week, in a moderate rain, keeping the camera covered with a backpacking towel as much as possible, as usual, when i began to notice a white vignette on the LCD...like moisture under the glass, then it shut down completely. I took the lens off, battery out, and let it dry for a couple of hours, and all was fine, but it fogged up again immediately when I took it out again. This time I let it dry out all night, and it seems back to normal (I hope). I'll use the damned shower cap I keep in my pack from now on when in sustained rain, especially wind-driven rain.

algrove

Heavy rain is for the Pentax 645Z. They show where all the seals are on the body and the sealed lenses.

silver92b

I went on a waterfall photo road trip/hike the other day and scrambled over rocks on the rivers edge to shoot some small falls and the river. And hiked in rough areas. I also walked behind a waterfall. There was plenty of spray and mist. I was a bit worried as i tried to shield the camera with my hands and body. I think it was exposed to a lot of moisture but nothing bad happened :). I also have an OM-D EM-1 with sealed lenses and all, but I've not exposed it to water either. I guess I'm a bit chicken to do it LOL!