The GetDPI Photography Forums  

Go Back   The GetDPI Photography Forums > Digital Camera Forum > The Alternative Forum

The Alternative Forum "Making It Blend" The mixing and matching of gear

Site Sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2013   #1

Carl Zeiss BIOTAR 1.5 / 75mm does anybody have this lens?

I love the Carl Zeiss BIOTAR 75mm f/1.5 lens. I am thinking about buying one of them but I can see that there is a huge range in price for this lens. They seem the same to me. I am just wondering whether anybody can tell me which series of these lens I should buy to get the best image quality and what makes the price to range so wide...
Old 6th March 2013   #2
Super Duper

Re: Carl Zeiss BIOTAR 1.5 / 75mm does anybody have this lens?

Look for a sample that is in the best of conditions. They are all expensive nowadays. Coating damage to the front element is common but does not affect the performance as they are "aged" glass with natural coatings from exposure. Bubbles in the glass is also common from that era and is in fact taken as a sign of better glass.

The price is directly related to the description of the seller ("15 bladed aperture" "Bokeh King", blah and blah).
Vivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
Look for a sample that is in the best of conditions. They are all expensive nowadays. Coating damage to the front element is common but does not affect the performance as they are "aged" glass with natural coatings from exposure. Bubbles in the glass is also common from that era and is in fact taken as a sign of better glass.

The price is directly related to the description of the seller ("15 bladed aperture" "Bokeh King", blah and blah).
Thanks so much!
Old 30th April 2013   #4

I wanted this lens so bad ten years ago. It was quite pricey than but the price is three to four times today than what it was back than. Now I often see it listed for 1000 Euro or even more. Therefore I see no great use in buying it today apart from being a eastern bloc lenses buff or collector. The bokeh is quite swirly. I donīt know about sharpness but doubt that it will be impressive unless stopped down. If you want awesome bokeh, better buy a Canon 85/1,2 or some fast Leica glass for that money. If you should want it nonetheless, I think the M42 version is both cheapest and easiest to adapt to modern DSLRs. There is also an Exakta version and a Contax version (the latter the most rarest I think).
Slixtiesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013   #5
Super Duper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
Therefore I see no great use in buying it today apart from being a eastern bloc lenses buff or collector.
Hardly that.

Key is the compactness. It is as simple as a lens can get. Sharpness is acceptable even wide open. Swirly bokeh is taken as a sign of its "character", just like many Leica lenses which are heavy and huge, in comparison.
Vivek is offline   Reply With Quote