The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shot a wedding, not a single clue what i was up to

gallery7

thank god for the neopan 400! that stuff can make anyone look like they know what they are doing!

Last edited:

gallery7

beats waiting for my phone to ring... (assignments seem to be few and far between these days)

Last edited:

gallery7

thank you David! it really isn't my intention to underestimate what professional wedding photographers do. running a successful business in a totally saturated and competitive market must be quite a feat. i have had numerous inquiries as of late and despite saying i only shoot film, i don't do formal/composed stuff, i don't, i don't, i don't folks seem undeterred. maybe i ought to figure out what this gig is all about?

gallery7

everything was wrong. slow lenses (mamiya 7), nothing longer than a 50, rangefinders and super basic flash rig when needed (pair of 285's). i really got lucky.

D

ddk

everything was wrong. slow lenses (mamiya 7), nothing longer than a 50, rangefinders and super basic flash rig when needed (pair of 285's). i really got lucky.
We live in a suburb where there are 6 photographic studios within 3 short blocks of one another, and all competing in the same wedding, barmitzvah, engagement market. They're all different in price, quality, vision, equipment, digital, film, etc., etc., etc., yet they're all busy.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat, you have to know how to use your tools for that skinning!

gallery7

that's a good point. i think someone could make a good go fo it by setting themselves so far apart from the pack. my sister has a wedding photography business and i have been to a few fairs with her. the redundancy of imagery is bewildering. the questions that people now seem to associate with a fair deal is "how many images do you shoot?" and "what dslr do you have, because my uncle knows dlsrs and he says blah blah blah..."

strange world those things.

i shot a bunch of tri-x super 8 as well and will post some up when i get the chance!

emmawest72

Great stuff.

On the contrary I think you did it the right way. Less equipment and focusing what's going on infront of you.

Cheers,

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
There's always more than one way to skin a cat, you have to know how to use your tools for that skinning!
Sometimes the question more looks like: "(how) can you shave the same cat twice?" :rolleyes: :D

(some extremely nice photos on this thread btw) :thumbup:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
You are a skillful photographer...maybe you just don't wear the tag "wedding photographer... but I think you have a clue. These are beautiful photos and the bride and groom must be very pleased.:thumbs:

gallery7

You are a skillful photographer...maybe you just don't wear the tag "wedding photographer... but I think you have a clue. These are beautiful photos and the bride and groom must be very pleased.:thumbs:
well thank you for the kind words Cindy.

what really impresses me is those Mamiya's (I have a pair). every time it have that "maybe i ought to start looking at a digital replacement" they pull my arse out of the fire. i didn't too much advice prior but every single person i did speak with said "don't be crazy". from my perspective the mamiya 7 makes a pretty good wedding camera! pair it with a leica and FAST 50 and away you go!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm really getting pulled in by the Mamiya 7. I have resisted because I'm invested in the Mamiya 645 system. Pictures like these and those posted by Stuart and others just stand out in my eyes.

gallery7

i am not really a lens tester or anything even close to a peeper Cindy but i do have a few years behind the viewfinder under my belt and the mamiya 6/7 system is unmatched in my opinion.

with reasonably careful use (lenses) they can make your eyes bleed they're so bloody sharp and they have excellent rendering. they are also so quiet it can be nerve wracking at first... "did that shutter fire?"

i pretty much load them up with neopan 400 and have at it! absolutely love the things!