The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TLRs anyone?

bensonga

Whenever I think the 7 feet of snow we've had here in the Anchorage area is bad.....I just have to remember the poor folks in Cordova (18 feet) and Valdez (22 feet). Even here in Anchorage/Eagle River, we are on track for a record breaking snowfall season and our snowiest months are usually February and March. It's pretty, but I'm getting tired of shoveling it. This pic was taken on my front deck on Christmas Day.....we've received a couple feet of snow since then.

seakayaker

Tug Boat West Point approaching the small lock

Tug Boat West Point entering the small lock

Tug Boat West Point in the small Ballard Lock

Rolleiflex f3.5 75mm Carl Zeiss Planar Lens with Ilford Pan F Plus ISO 50

ReeRay

Nice sequence Dan. Home process and scan or commercial?

Which ever they are very impressive. Lovely range of tones.

seakayaker

Nice sequence Dan. Home process and scan or commercial?

Which ever they are very impressive. Lovely range of tones.
Dan,
I really like the tones, especially on the third. Very nice.

Thanks ReeRay and Cindy for your kind comments. I am enjoying the Rolleiflex quite a bit. Have you received your camera back from Harry Fleenor? I sent my Rolleiflex down to him this week for some work, I hope to keep it up and running longer than I last!

The roll of film was developed and scanned (high resolution) at 60 minute photo in Seattle. From a conversation with one of the staff it appears they will be shutting down within a year. The building is scheduled to be torn down and replaced in the upcoming year once the business leases run out. The owner has run the business for 28+ years but the business volumes do not appear to be able to justify a relocation to a new site.

There are only a few labs left in Seattle and sad to see a place that is reasonably priced and does quality work close down.

Competition is good in any business for the consumer. I enjoy giving business to the local merchants when I can and will look to continue to do so unless the cost or quality is a factor.

bensonga

I'll echo the praise of Ray and Cindy for your photos Dan! Great to see this thread being kept alive. I really should get out there and take some more shots with my Mamiya TLR. Those Rolleiflexs are beautiful pieces of equipment....very tempting. A friend of mine here in Alaska just purchased a 3.5F model from KEH...I can't wait to see it.

Keep those images coming and I'll try to contribute a few here myself real soon.

Gary

ReeRay

Dan

Harry is still working on my Rollieflex so chomping at the bit am I!

Sad to hear of the lab closure. I guess their eventual demise is inevitable. As far as I can establish we have only one such Pro lab here in Thailand. Fortunately I have my Minolta MultiPro scanner to keep me alive.

Keep the images coming.

downstairs

Babysitter. Cambo TLR45. with the 150 lens pair. Aways a slight parallax problem because the camera had to be used sideways for verticals.

downstairs

Phenomenal "look", downstairs, but Cambo TLR45? Could you please enlighten me?
Actually, CAMBO TWR54. Here it is on somebody else's page. with all the bits and pieces. Awkward for verticals, but with a press shutter and with a Grafmatic six-shot 4x5 back it was very fast. I had two backs and somebody loading but he could could never quite keep up. That was before Insta-load 4x5.
Off track on TLRs- You had to have two identical Rolleis and an assistant loading for shooting people (like shooting pheasants) and it was still a bit slow. That's why Hasselblad took over in the seventies, because three magazines kept you going with ease.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Cindy, I find composing in the square a very natural thing to do. A couple from this weekend past.

Sunrise Orewa Beach by BigHausen, on Flickr

Pricnces Wharf, Sunrise by BigHausen, on Flickr
I struggled with square at first, but now really love it. These are beautiful. The detail in Pricnces Wharf is amazing.

Babysitter. Cambo TLR45. with the 150 lens pair. Aways a slight parallax problem because the camera had to be used sideways for verticals.
Stunning photo.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Very inspiring photos, Hausen. I especially like "Just before Sunrise".
I just sent my 2.8F to Harry Fleenor for a CLA and new Maxwell screen. I am shooting with my Rolleicord V and 2.8E in the meantime. I have several rolls of negatives from the three here waiting to be scanned. I will post something when I can get them done. I hope that we can keep the thread going with posts like yours.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
That is quite the TLR, Jim. I guess you fashioned the viewing lens portion onto your Cambo? What about parallax?