The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ultron 28/2 or Nokton 35/1.4 SC

M

mike.ong

Hi Guys,

I was wondering which lens do you prefer.

I'm getting an M6 body .72, I would like to get your opinion which is the better lens for it. I know that Ultron is wider, which will maximize the framelines of the M6 (28mm). Nokton has an extra stop.. I must say that the Nokton 35/1.2 ASPH is just heavy for me that's why I'm residing to these lenses.

I'm a bit concern with the glass though. Does any of the 2 more superior to the other except for the focal length and f stop?

Thanks guys! Still learning a lot here.

Mike

leif e

Mike! I´m only familiar with the 28 predecessor, the 1,9/28, which was a grand lens at contrasty evening city lights and such. The Nokton I´ve shot a lot - on M4/M4-Ps and M8. A great lens, definitely - was my regular walk-around for quite some time.

FWIW; I´d probably go for the Nokton for versatility and speed (and character) and maybe seek out a slower 28 ...

leif e

Good luck searching!

M

mike.ong

Mike! I´m only familiar with the 28 predecessor, the 1,9/28, which was a grand lens at contrasty evening city lights and such. The Nokton I´ve shot a lot - on M4/M4-Ps and M8. A great lens, definitely - was my regular walk-around for quite some time.

FWIW; I´d probably go for the Nokton for versatility and speed (and character) and maybe seek out a slower 28 ...

leif e

Good luck searching!
Hey Leif e,

Thanks for the reply. I've heard that the 28/1.9 ultron was great, specially it's ASPH. I would love to get one but I think it's more "proper" IMO to put an M mount lens to an M body. :D

Yes indeed. 35 is more versatile and the 1.4 opening would really help me for low light condition.

Mike

Maggie O

I think it's more "proper" IMO to put an M mount lens to an M body. :D
:wtf: That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The 28/1.9 Ultron is a superior lens in every way to its successor. Also, if you ever think you'll have a digital M, it makes even more sense to get the 28/1.9 and a Milich LTM adapter, which can be permanently coded.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'll put in another vote for the 28 f/1.9. I love mine on my M4-P and M8. It is a gem.
I just code mine with a marker for use on my M8.
Also, there is nothing at all wrong with using a screw-mount lens on an M camera with an LTM to M adapter. 3 of my 5 lenses are screw mount.

M5-Guy

I have both.
I like an use the 35mm more. Maybe because it is has a versatile FOV, but the 28 is a great lens too.

I have not yet learned to see as wide as a 28mm, but I like it and use for landscapes and less framed candid purposes that I crop later. The DOF is great at moderate f/stops (f/5.6, f/8) and allows a close candid on the street (like 5 feet away and get a full body framed)

The SC is said to allow a little better shadow details, good for BW. Not sure though. it is a little more contrasty than I thought, not too bad though, and allows a full dynamic range anyway.

28mm Ultron shot on XP2 at ISO 125 Cropped of course. the width is 28mm though.

35mm SC shot with Fuji Acros 100. cropped to be more square to match the image stucture

Both are great lenses. Get Both at around $1,200 including the LH-6 or 7 for the 35mm.. is a great value considering the Zeiss would cost double and you would not get f/2 or f/1.4, the Leitz well... get a loan.

M

mike.ong

:wtf: That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. The 28/1.9 Ultron is a superior lens in every way to its successor. Also, if you ever think you'll have a digital M, it makes even more sense to get the 28/1.9 and a Milich LTM adapter, which can be permanently coded.
Hahaha! It seems like that the price of 28/1.9 ASPH is getting higher nowadays.
And a bit hard to find.

The MC and SC have the same price on most online stores on ebay, specially on Asian stores.

Oh well, thanks again for your replies. I think the 35 is more versatile. I'll try to shoot more with my current 35 lens and see if it's wide enough for me on the street.

M5-Guy

Hahaha! It seems like that the price of 28/1.9 ASPH is getting higher nowadays.
And a bit hard to find.

The MC and SC have the same price on most online stores on ebay, specially on Asian stores.

Oh well, thanks again for your replies. I think the 35 is more versatile. I'll try to shoot more with my current 35 lens and see if it's wide enough for me on the street.
The 35 makes a good street lens. You can hip shoot fairly close without chopping off heads. I hang my M5 from my neck and it rests on my belly, just above my real waist, wherever that is! (perfect place :toocool:).

I tried this technique with my 50mm... results below :ROTFL: