The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Presenting... the Un-Leica!

T

tokengirl

Focus Shmocus! I'm building a pinhole camera. Check out some of the fumes I have been breathing over the past few days:

It's not done yet, but it's finally starting to take shape.

I got a Horseman 6x7 roll film back on eBay, so I didn't have to re-invent the film transport wheel. I also got an Apogeo II pinhole shutter on eBay, so I'll be able to use a cable release. The box is made with masonite, so it's very lightweight. I used pieces of half-inch aluminum angle from Home Depot to brace the pieces together on the inside and expoxied it all together. I used 3/8" aluminum "C" track from Home Depot to make the track that the film back will slide into. The focal length of the camera is 48mm, and the pinhole is 0.0102", which gives me an aperture of approximately f185.

On the cosmetic end, once the epoxy and 3M 5200 is cured, I will cover the box with some charcoal colored vinyl from the bargain bin at Joanne's Fabrics, and I will use mitered pieces of half-inch aluminum angle to cover the edges.

With an aperture of f185, using a tripod is going to be mandatory. I will probably buy a close-out L plate for a discontinued SLR model and permanently attach it to the camera.

I need some kind of handle or strap. I am debating using one of the handles in the picture above, but I'm not married to the idea. I think some kind of strap may be less obtrusive. I am open to suggestions here.

Viewfinder, you ask? I'll probably just use my Voigtlander 25mm viewfinder for now. It's not EXACT, but we are talking about a pinhole camera after all.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Very cool! A for effort. I'd love to see the resulting images.

For a handle... maybe you could shape some round metal stock (something a tad heftier than a coat hanger) into a squared-off "U" shape and put one at the front edge of the box and one at the rear. If you raise them to the right heights, they could double as a viewfinder like the old Speed Graphics. You might even be able to adjust the height of the front one so that it performs a sort of parallax correction. Just a thought. Again, great effort.

Tim

T

tokengirl

Very interesting idea! For a viewfinder, I have actually toyed with the idea of making a second box of the same size where the back is open and the front has a hole cut out exactly the same size as the film area. If you look through the box with your face right up against the back (so that your eyes are where the film plane would be), it would probably be pretty accurate. Just put the "viewfinder" box on the tripod and compose the photo, then remove it and put the camera in its place.

I think I am leaning towards a strap rather than a handle. I am thinking this monumental effort deserves a nice Artist & Artisan leather strap. In candy apple red, just like the one I have on my M6. :D

T

tokengirl

Progress Report

It's almost done. I glued on the vinyl covering today. I just have to cut the aluminum angle pieces that will cover the edges and epoxy them on. :)

T

tokengirl

Thanks all. If things go right and the weather cooperates, she might see her first roll this weekend. I won't get to develop the film this weekend though, as I have just been informed that I am hosting a family dinner party on Sunday night. Good times ahead.

T

tokengirl

We are officially ready for field trials.

Completed camera, loaded with T-Max 400, the blue thing on the right is the viewfinder, I inserted a piece of red pvc film between the shutter and pinhole (it's removable) for a filter, and a little Moleskine notebook for field notes rounds out the kit.

God, I hope there are no mystery light leaks. Stay tuned...