The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best hasselblad V system lens

hobbsr

Hi,

I'm just starting to build out my V system mainly for portraiture and landscape use, can everyone share there view to the best three lens?

Thanks

trev2401

80 CF/e 50 CF or the CFi (if you have the budget) and lastly, the 180mm CF. the 120CFi's also quite well known for portraiture, though a tad slow at F4.

JimCollum

i've been extremely happy with the 3 that I use.. 50/2.8, 80/2.8 & 110/2 (probably one of the best portrait lenses ever made)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jim, will the F lenses work on the V body? I know the V lenses work on the F body, but I didn't think they worked the other way around...

hobbsr

Hi All,

I have a few options and am seeking advice. I have an 80 CB & 150 CF Len for my 501. What to add next as budget is tight:
1. 160 CB lens
2. 120 CFI lens
3. 150 CFI lens
4. 120 CFI lens

My goal is mainly portraiture and the 160 CB is half the price of the others!

hobbsr

Or dobi hunt for a Cf 180 as that is around the same vas well but thought this might be a little too long!

If I already had the 150/4 (which I have, by the way ;-) ), I won´t go for the 160/4,8, because these focal lenghts are too close to each other. The 180/4 is a stunning performer but is relatively large and heavy compared to the other lenses you mentioned. I also find hand holding the 150/4 quite difficult at times, might be even harder with the 180mm. I really prefer the old S-Planar 120/5,6, because it has great performance and is considerably light weight. Only problem is that it is quite old so you might get the shutter serviced, and the screen becomes relatively dim because of the f5,6.
For landscape I recommend the 50/4. It is compact, light weight and can be had for little money today. I cannot comment on the 40/4 but it is obviously a great lens (and is the next on my wish-list).

Best, Benjamin

jlm

Workshop Member
I have this V or F system lens for sale:
40mm CFE IF Distagon, with box, bag; this lens is absolutely perfect and a perfect optical sample: $4,500

CFE lenses work with F and V cameras
FE lenses work only with F
C lenses work with F and V, but without electrical connections to F body

Double Negative

Not Available
Some say the 60/100/180 combo is the newer, better choice. Me, I went with the "more traditional" 50/80/150 trio for various reasons. Honestly, none of them are duds.

The 2,8/80 Planar is a must have, if nothing else than for the f/2.8 aperture - and it's cheap and plentiful.

Godfrey

My Hassy kit was the 903SWC with Biogon 38/4.5, the 500CM with Planar T* 80 and Sonnar T* 150. Best, worst ... I don't know. They're what I had and used, and they worked very well. :)

A friend has them now and he still loves using them.

T

tetsrfun

Interesting question of what exactly is the "V" series Hasselblad. I can't find a definition but I think of the "V" series as all post 1957 'blads as many of the modular components are interchangeable. I have about a dozen Zeiss CF, F, FE lenses. For 500 series bodies, the 50 and 180 CF are probably most used. The 40mm is perhaps a better lens but costs a lot more than a 50. For 200 series bodies, 50mm 2.8 and 110 F/2 are most used followed by the 150 and the 250. The 110 F/2 FE is probably the best lens that I have, including about 6 "pro" Nikons.

Steve

Leigh

Interesting question of what exactly is the "V" series Hasselblad.
Hi Steve,

The V series is the 500-series and associated lenses and accessories. It probably also includes the focal-plane cameras, since they can use the same lenses as the 500s (as well as the F lenses).

The V designation only came into use when Hasselblad brought out its newer H series, since the lenses are not interchangeable between the two.

- Leigh

Leigh

Where can I buy a V system with Digital back?
Probably the largest selection would be on evilpay (ebay.com).

You might consider buying the camera body and the digital back separately. I bought a CFV-39 back through the local Hasselblad dealer, and bought a used 555ELD body to go with it. Works fine.

- Leigh