The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shot with the Nikon F6

jbcrane

Because most of my personal work is still with film, and because now having sold my other Nikon F's, I shoot 100% of my 35mm film with my Nikon F6, I thought I try to draw out some other F6 enthusiasts to show what they're doing with this, my favorite of all cameras.

I'd love to hear from anyone using the F6, what accessories you still use on it, what you use it for, how many rolls/yr you shoot, where/how you process... anything really. Is there anyone else out there shooting the F6? Matt? Hope to hear from you.

I posted these following images in a different thread before getting this idea, so please forgive the double image post.

Irish Bayou, Louisiana

Slidell, Louisiana

Bogue Falaya River, Covington, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana

Can't wait to see other's work.

Cheers,
John Crane

kdemas

I just shot a whole load of Kodachrome at the MotoGP race in Monterey with my F6. Love the camera, makes a great complement to my digital Nikons.

I use it pretty much as is, not with the battery grip. I like the more compact dimensions and the battery capacity and max frame rate loss is no big deal how I'm currently using it.

Kent

bensonga

Very nice images John!

I just shot a whole load of Kodachrome at the MotoGP race in Monterey with my F6. Love the camera, makes a great complement to my digital Nikons.

I use it pretty much as is, not with the battery grip. I like the more compact dimensions and the battery capacity and max frame rate loss is no big deal how I'm currently using it.

Kent
Red Bull MotoGP....:thumbs:

I was there too....my first time. What an incredible experience to hear those bikes in person and see them come flying down the Corkscrew. :D

Of course, once there, I wished I had brought a better camera with me, not just a little Canon G10 (although it was much easier to carry on the motorcycle I rode down from Seattle). If I had taken an SLR and longer lens, it probably wouldn't have been my Nikon F3HP. Certainly the F6 with an autofocus lens would have worked better, but for me, I needed to have the immediate feedback of a digital camera when shooting what might be a once in a lifetime event (in my case), never having tried to capture motorcycles moving at well over 100 mph before now. :eek:

Did you get some good shots at Laguna Seca with the F6 which you'd like to post here Kent?

Gary

Last edited:

jbcrane

Hello Gentlemen,
Thanks for dropping in. I'd love to see images made with the F6 if you have em'. Especially the Kodachrome's from the weekend. It makes me a bit sad to think my F6 will never taste Kodachrome.
I read a story recently where Steve McCurry finished "the last roll" of Kodachrome, make the finial frames in Parsons' Kansas. Ironically my son was in Parsons Kansas that same weekend. I'm wondering if he'll be in any of those images shot. Apparently NG was there doing a piece and it might run in an upcoming issue next year.

Fine memories of Kodachrome and genuinely sorry I'll not be able to feed any to my hungry friend. Please - post some images when you're able. Really looking forward to seeing them.

DaveO

I bought a used F6 from Keh camera about six months ago. I'm only on my fourth roll of film ( fuji NPS 160). I originally shot a roll of Fuji Sensia, I think. I went to a local nursery and shot a bunch of flowers. I was absolutely blown away with the metering on the camera and also the colors on the Sensia. Unfortunately they have discontinued it, now you have to buy the pro film ( Astia? ) I have too many cameras to keep exercised to use the F6 much. I am now using a Rollei 35S with Ektar 100. The next camera I will load with film is my Rolleiflex 3.5F. Like I said too many cameras and not enough time or worthwhile subjects.

DaveO

DaveO

I paid about a thousand dollars less than new at Keh Camera. If I knew how to post some pictures I would. I tried, but couldn't figure it out.

DaveO

jbcrane

Hiya Gang-

Been out for quite a while and happy to see a few others jump on to the F6 thread. Just returned from Washington D.C. where I toted it all around town - sometimes small and svelt, other times laden with the MB-40. Still loving the camera - still shooting it a ton. Ran some of the new Portra 400 through it in D.C. and was suitably impressed.

Earlier this year I returned to Haiti with the F6 and was glad I had it as a second to my D3S. Getting through airport security with film is getting more difficult, but always worth it.

Let's see if anyone else is out there using this fine piece of machinery.

shtarka1

Hiya Gang-

Been out for quite a while and happy to see a few others jump on to the F6 thread. Just returned from Washington D.C. where I toted it all around town - sometimes small and svelt, other times laden with the MB-40. Still loving the camera - still shooting it a ton. Ran some of the new Portra 400 through it in D.C. and was suitably impressed.

Earlier this year I returned to Haiti with the F6 and was glad I had it as a second to my D3S. Getting through airport security with film is getting more difficult, but always worth it.

Let's see if anyone else is out there using this fine piece of machinery.
JB, I've been following your website & am enthralled with your Amazing work!
The B&W image is Stunning!

rayyan

JB, beautiful work indeed.

The copyright sign does bother me slightly though.

Best wishes.

jbcrane

JB, beautiful work indeed.
The copyright sign does bother me slightly though.
Best wishes.
Sorry about that... it's a hold over from where the image is hosted on my zenfolio site... I have all my images watermarked by default and it's a bit awkward when I link to the images to a forum post like this. Regardless, thank you for your comments.

jbcrane

JB, I've been following your website & am enthralled with your Amazing work!
The B&W image is Stunning!
sincere and humble thank you.

F6, MB-40, 60G Micro, Portra 400nc
These are wonderful... I like what how you've treated the NC. I haven't had such good luck with it but these make me want to give it another try. Are you shooting the F6 mostly with the MB40 attached? I find it pretty much lives on mine unless I need a super-light rig for something. Love seeing others put this machine to such good work. Thanks for posting!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
John, still dig you work.
I do remember your shots form Haïti, among the best seen around where so many people discovered an interest taking videos and photos from there. Yours were beautiful, meaningful and respectful.

Why don't you give us a holler from time to time on the Nikon thread. Sure it's supposed to be digital, but who cares? Short of noticing Rayyan's name down the posters' list, i'd have never seen you photos here. Just a thought. :)

Steve: no extra praise here, except that on the particular shot (i think it's #1 in the post above) i have a slight preference for the color version. Works even better, in my eyes :salute:

jbcrane

John, still dig you work.
I do remember your shots form Haïti, among the best seen around where so many people discovered an interest taking videos and photos from there. Yours were beautiful, meaningful and respectful.

Why don't you give us a holler from time to time on the Nikon thread. Sure it's supposed to be digital, but who cares? Short of noticing Rayyan's name down the posters' list, i'd have never seen you photos here. Just a thought. :)

Hi Corlan,
Good to hear from you and thanks for your comments. Haiti has a special place in my heart so I appreciate the anti-commodatizing observations. Never sure where that line between education/enlightenment and exploitation falls, so I try to be on the side that allows me to sleep at night. I'll be heading back down in October for the second time this year and am anxious to learn how our brothers and sisters down there fair this rainy season.

Desiré, a village in the mountains above Gonaives, Haiti.

I have many thousands of images I'm happy to share on the Nikon thread as well as other digital's I've been shooting - when the D3S pries the F6 out of my hands for "practical" reasons ;-)... loving both so very much and doing all I can to keep Fuji and Kodak believing there efforts are appreciated.

Warm regards,
John Crane

shtarka1

sincere and humble thank you.

These are wonderful... I like what how you've treated the NC. I haven't had such good luck with it but these make me want to give it another try. Are you shooting the F6 mostly with the MB40 attached? I find it pretty much lives on mine unless I need a super-light rig for something. Love seeing others put this machine to such good work. Thanks for posting!
JB, although i just received the rig, i will use it with the MB-40 all of the time as i do with most of my gear. Thank you!

Steve: no extra praise here, except that on the particular shot (i think it's #1 in the post above) i have a slight preference for the color version. Works even better, in my eyes :salute:
Thanks a lot Corlan!

shtarka1

Good to hear from you and thanks for your comments. Haiti has a special place in my heart so I appreciate the anti-commodatizing observations. Never sure where that line between education/enlightenment and exploitation falls, so I try to be on the side that allows me to sleep at night. I'll be heading back down in October for the second time this year and am anxious to learn how our brothers and sisters down there fair this rainy season.

Desiré, a village in the mountains above Gonaives, Haiti.

I have many thousands of images I'm happy to share on the Nikon thread as well as other digital's I've been shooting - when the D3S pries the F6 out of my hands for "practical" reasons ;-)... loving both so very much and doing all I can to keep Fuji and Kodak believing there efforts are appreciated.

Warm regards,
John Crane
Sublime image John!