The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crappy Camera Review

T

tokengirl

So I finally finished up the roll of film in my Superheadz Pink Slim Dress ultra wide angle 35mm camera.

First the details: It's made of 100% plastic. Even the lens. Which, by the way, is a 22mm fixed focus lens. The aperture is set at f11 and the shutter speed is fixed at 1/125 second. It's smaller than my Canon G10, and it weighs practically nothing, even with a roll of film inside. The viewfinder, like the rest of the camera, is crappy, and I suspect it's not set straight in the camera. There is no lens cap or cover or anything like that. But those neoprene drink coozies make a perfect case so that it so that it doesn't just bang around in your purse (I am assuming here that if you are going to own a little pink camera, you probably do carry a purse. But I probably shouldn't stereotype...).

Now for the actual test. I loaded up a roll of Fuji Superia 200 and let 'er rip. Naturally, the first picture had to be of my dog.

Jasmine001 by MsMambo, on Flickr

Indeed, the camera is crappy. The lens is not sharp. It vignettes badly. It's prone to strange little rainbow flares.

But damn, it's FUN!

It's quite useful if you just want to stick your camera out the car window, press the button and see what happens.

Brickell-Avenue001 by MsMambo, on Flickr

It's excellent around water. Mainly because it costs $25.00 so you won't feel too bad if it goes under.

Miami-Outboard-Club001 by MsMambo, on Flickr

Government-Cut001 by MsMambo, on Flickr

Big-Al-Fishing001 by MsMambo, on Flickr

Mangrove-Out-There001 by MsMambo, on Flickr

Mangrove-Out-There003 by MsMambo, on Flickr

ISO 200 film seems to be just about perfect for bright sunny days, which is probably the only time you'd want to use this camera. I suspect that expired ISO 200 film would be even better.

I'll be trying out a roll of 100 ISO and 400 ISO just to see what happens. I am open to suggestions as to which 100 and 400 films I should try. :D

*Disclosure: ISO 200 film sin't grainy enough to really bring out the full-on crappiness. So I added grain in Lightroom.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Priceless!
What a wonderful review, you have a future at dpreview!
I LOVE the way you have presented the images.
I would suggest that you try a roll of expired verichrome.
That could be really crappy. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
-bob

p.s.
Oh, and where can I buy one of these beauties will full dealer non-support?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Outstanding review!

How much for a set of the prints?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
[...]

(I am assuming here that if you are going to own a little pink camera, you probably do carry a purse. But I probably shouldn't stereotype...).
:ROTFL: :thumbup:

Great review. And another proof that's it's all about the phtographer. Big Al, and Lone Mangrove are esp impressive -the lil' thing's indeed good around water. Love the PO and the Boulevard on the Flickr stream, too.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Failed! Your Crappy Camera Review has failed. You seem unable to produce crappy photos with your pink camera thingy. I love them all :thumbs: but why on earth is the horizon on the third one straight?

I'll warn the guys over at dpixelpeeper that they've got serious competition, and before you can say "Pink Plastic", the men in black from amazon will be at your doorstep, ready to implant proper one zillion megapixel chips into your left and right brain halves :lecture:

T

tokengirl

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Outstanding review!

How much for a set of the prints?
Prints??? Nah. I'm just getting started with this crappy-cam project, I expect it will turn into one of those little DIY Blurb books.

I encourage you all to give this a try. Freestyle Photographic sells these cameras in about five different colors (including a shiny gold version :eek:).

Thank you all for sharing in my cra... er... happiness.:p

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I tried a b&w conversion using Silver Efex Pro. I like how it came out.
That's the thing about good shots: you can fool around with all sorts of actions and filters... and they still look good.

Then, crappy shots stay.. er, crappy, whatever effort you put into tweaking'em.

Yours definitely look good all the way! :thumbup: