The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you still shooting 35mm film?

sector99

Film ...

Because a "File" is not and can never be a photograph.

One's "File" can't even be viewed in its entirety absent a $5,000 "4k" monitor currently being hawked by SONY as "The new standard". Even then the "4K" falls short.

Your dying mother cannot hold onto a "File" in her last minutes as her gateway reminder to a life well lived surrounded by a loving family.

A well-scanned negative/transparency from say NCPS is 15MP (Which would require much more in native camera MP. More can be extracted by wet drum techniques IF the craze for murals infects.

Leading experts in photography who are themselves accomplished artists (Ming Thein) report a FAR HIGHER keeper rate with film (3X higher). Whatever is driving that higher keeper rate is a good thing and the Digital Muppets are missing out.

No, Dear Readers, a photograph is not a "File"—they have something a "file" can never achieve.

They offer tangibility ... but demand a bit of skill.

Does film cost more than digital?

Not when the Tsunami of planned obsolescence has laid waste to the "Digital Muppets" being led like fur balls to the financial cliff's edge. SONY leads the oppressors in this regard.

Our gain flows from their ignorance—A pristine ebay NIKON FA = $110. The "Muppets" apparently haven't heard about Matrix Metering.

THAT film is coming back can be observed on Ebay at the falling number of good film 35mm cameras (FM3a) and their rising $450-$500 current bids. Soon you'll see $750 for 30 year old Japanese mainstream 35mm SLR cameras.

Indeed, NIKON might do well to reintroduce an all mechanical camera OTHER than their student intro FM10. This is true even as we can grab a very good F100 for a song. Of course they would need to reintroduce their AIS line ... with a $1,000 each tag and Whiz Bang "Nano" coatings.

Nikon/Canon are lens companies hampered by their own legacy quality inventory. We win by rethinking/using a "New" detector.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sector99: well, I suppose that's one view and in many ways, as both a film AND digital shooter, I agree that film is on the uptake but you shot your credibility with the offensive "Muppet" comments.

To assume that all digital shooters spray & pray and film shooters take more time & care to score a higher 'hit rate' is naive, and I'm being charitable and polite.

chrism

It's not 35mm, but it's still film!

A 645n. There's a 120mm/f4 coming as well. Halfway through my first roll of Tri-X in it. Fun!

Chris

J

JohnW

I've tried film several times over the last couple years, with a couple Ms on different occasions, a CL, and most recently with a Nikkormat and Rollei 3.5F my wife's mother gave me. Despite being unable to get into it, I still feel strangely and strongly drawn. But I think it's one of those things where I like the idea of it more than the reality.

Digital just suits my busy lifestyle better. Plus, I've also developed a rather free and loose street shooting style that would be costly with film. And I'm pretty pleased that the GR and X-Pro offer at least somewhat of the more organic BW look that I find so appealing in film.

If I were to embrace film in a big way, I think it would be with the Rollei or perhaps a Hasselblad V system, which is something I've always wanted. But I sure do enjoy the film M thread and "other than Leica" thread in this forum.

John

Last edited:

Hausen

Well I was not going to shoot 35mm anymore but was looking at a couple of lenses I have that I have no bodies for. A Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 and a Leica R PC 28 2.8 SA and thought I want to use these lenses and investigated either a Leica R8 or a Nikon F6. Went the F6 route and have ordered a new mount from Leitax for the Leica R lens and should be operational by next week. Also I still have around 100 rolls of 35mm film so didn't want that to go to waste. Was my birthday last week and my wife wanted to know what I wanted and I said a Nikon F6. Done.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well I was not going to shoot 35mm anymore but was looking at a couple of lenses I have that I have no bodies for. A Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 and a Leica R PC 28 2.8 SA and thought I want to use these lenses and investigated either a Leica R8 or a Nikon F6. Went the F6 route and have ordered a new mount from Leitax for the Leica R lens and should be operational by next week. Also I still have around 100 rolls of 35mm film so didn't want that to go to waste. Was my birthday last week and my wife wanted to know what I wanted and I said a Nikon F6. Done.
Welcome to the club :thumbup:
Here's a link to John Crane's excellent F6 page:

Nikon F6 35mm Film Camera

chrism

One little oddity about the F6 to watch out for - the first batteries you put in it won't last very long as they have to charge an internal battery that remembers settings when you take out the main battery. The CR123 batteries also tend to die suddenly whilst still reading as full. In the middle of a film you get an "Err" code on the top LCD and even putting in a new battery won't save it; you have to rewind the film (manually), then change the battery and then load a new film. I've had no such problems using the MB-40 grip and AA batteries, but it does increase weight and size considerably.

Otherwise it is a lovely camera and remarkably quiet for an SLR.

Chris

Hausen

Chris, will certainly watch out for that. I bought 4 rechargeable CR123s yesterday so will have 2 in the bag spare at all time. Shot a test roll of 36 yesterday in an hour. Fastest roll ever. What a joy to use with my Zeiss 15, the VF looks enormous.

Thanks Jorgen, read that blog before I purchased the F6. It was what tipped me over the edge to get the F6 rather than a Leica R8.

Godfrey

Thanks Jorgen, read that blog before I purchased the F6. It was what tipped me over the edge to get the F6 rather than a Leica R8.
Personal predilections play into this. I was a Nikon SLR guy for decades, Leica RFs were a sideline for limited things, but the last of the Nikon SLRs I really loved were the F3 and FM2n. Never liked the F4, F5, and F6 for some reason; they just didn't settle in my hands right although I know they're excellent cameras.

I like the simplicity of the R8/R9—the controls are a work of art, the viewfinder is superb, the feel of the whole camera is just right. The lenses are just wonderful. Of course it's heavy like a brick but I don't pretend to carrying it all the time nowadays like I might have if it were 20 years ago.

Right now, however, my film fun is having the Leica M4-2 loaded and ready for shooting with 29 of 36 shots left to go. And loading up a Polaroid for a quick burst of instant prints. I'll get back to the F and the R8 in a month or two...

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One little oddity about the F6 to watch out for - the first batteries you put in it won't last very long as they have to charge an internal battery that remembers settings when you take out the main battery. The CR123 batteries also tend to die suddenly whilst still reading as full. In the middle of a film you get an "Err" code on the top LCD and even putting in a new battery won't save it; you have to rewind the film (manually), then change the battery and then load a new film. I've had no such problems using the MB-40 grip and AA batteries, but it does increase weight and size considerably.

Otherwise it is a lovely camera and remarkably quiet for an SLR.

Chris
While I agree that batteries die very quickly when the indicator shows anything less than full, I have never experienced the situation you describe, but then I think I've only run out of steam mid-roll once, since I usually car an extra set and change as soon as the indication appears. Probably a good rule then :)

Hausen

A couple of my favourites from my test roll on the F6. (Fuji Pro160) The meter on this camera is unbelievable. I punished it with impossible lighting and it come up trumps.

Godfrey I agree it all comes down to personal taste and timing. Never thought I would pick a Nikon body over a Leica but I am glad I did. An R8 would have looked great next to my Monochrom and 903SWC. But I have a Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 that blows my VC15 4.5 to the weeds and I wanted something to use it on. Would I like an R8 as well? For sure.

Godfrey

A couple of my favourites from my test roll on the F6. (Fuji Pro160) The meter on this camera is unbelievable. I punished it with impossible lighting and it come up trumps.

Godfrey I agree it all comes down to personal taste and timing. Never thought I would pick a Nikon body over a Leica but I am glad I did. An R8 would have looked great next to my Monochrom and 903SWC. But I have a Zeiss 15 2.8 ZF.2 that blows my VC15 4.5 to the weeds and I wanted something to use it on. Would I like an R8 as well? For sure.
The VC15 f/4.5 is a good lens, but doesn't hold a candle to any of the Leica or Zeiss lenses in the same focal length bracket. Just like the Nikkor 15mm f/3.5 AI-S is a very nice lens, but when I compare it to the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 it very rapidly shows its shortcomings ... and the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v2 is a far better performer still.

Buying a body because you have an excellent lens that you want to use is absolutely one of the best rationales going. I almost kept my Pentax K10D specifically and solely to keep using the FA43/1.9 and FA77/1.8 Limited lenses, the two best lenses that Pentax has ever made IMO.

The Hasselblad SWC is a wonderful example of this too... except they sensibly made it only in a fixed body. ]'-)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I almost kept my Pentax K10D specifically and solely to keep using the FA43/1.9 and FA77/1.8 Limited lenses, the two best lenses that Pentax has ever made IMO.

G
I can't count the times I have been close to buying a Pentax camera only to be able to use those two lenses. I would prefer a full frame version though, and add the 31mm as well. But he 77mm alone would actually be enough for me. A very nice focal length on a crop sensor body.

K5 bodies are cheap now, aren't they... and then an MZ-S? :rolleyes:

Godfrey

I can't count the times I have been close to buying a Pentax camera only to be able to use those two lenses. I would prefer a full frame version though, and add the 31mm as well. But he 77mm alone would actually be enough for me. A very nice focal length on a crop sensor body.

K5 bodies are cheap now, aren't they... and then an MZ-S? :rolleyes:
The FA43 was the one for me, and I did almost buy a K-01 just to have one again. I resisted. (The FA31 never did it for me... The DA21 did. :)

I liked them on the APS-C digital bodies, although I admit to being intrigued with the MZ-S. Never had one though.

That's all long ago and far away now.

G