The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wich Pentax 35mm?

G

GASC

Hi,

I'm considering buying a 35mm Pentax for the fun because I have now a wide range of Pentaxes vintage manual lenses that I'm using with the digital series.

Can you recommend a particular model?

Thanks.

mediumcool

Started out with Nikon in 1969, went away from photography over 10 years ago, and came back via a Pentax ME Super (cost me $100 for a black body); stayed with the system as I acquired lenses, and went digital about three years ago with a K10D.

The ME Super and its manual twin the MX were (and are) tiny but solid; I preferred the Super for its higher flash synch speed. Later film Pentaxes seem plasticky to me in general.

Apart from the MZ-S!

G

GASC

I saw that the MZ-S has a high sync speed with the proper flas unit, wich makes it highly interesting IMO.
Built construction seems really on the top.

Oren Grad

Do you like small, medium or large? AE or manual exposure? Metal or plastic? Traditional controls, or buttons, wheels and LCDs? Simple and straightforward, or complicated and full of bells and whistles?

FWIW, my favorites are the MX and LX.

G

GASC

Do you like small, medium or large? AE or manual exposure? Metal or plastic? Traditional controls, or buttons, wheels and LCDs? Simple and straightforward, or complicated and full of bells and whistles?

FWIW, my favorites are the MX and LX.
I have a eye on this MX. The LX seems to have a better viewfinder.

-small, medium or large?: no matter
-AE or manual exposure?: AE
-Metal or plastic?: metal
-Traditional controls, or buttons, wheels and LCDs?: no matter
-Simple and straightforward, or complicated and full of bells and whistles?: straightforward.

I saw that the Lx has MLU. Couldn't find the sync speed for those models. Should be low, 1/80 thish

Cheers.

Last edited:

Oren Grad

The MX has a mechanically-governed shutter and is manual exposure only - no AE. Max sync is 1/60; for LX it's 1/75.

LX does have MLU. Very easy to use, too.

With the standard FA-1 finder, the LX finder image covers slightly more than that of the MX but has slightly lower magnification. Other finders are available.

For (mostly) metal, AE with manual option, and straightforward, try K2, K2DMD and LX. Some like the ME Super / Super Program / Program Plus series.

Anyway, here's the bible:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/bodies/index.html

mediumcool

I saw that the MZ-S has a high sync speed with the proper flas unit, wich makes it highly interesting IMO.
Built construction seems really on the top.
I can get Pentax gear wholesale here in Adelaide, but when I asked around five years ago for a look at a MZ-S, was told they had been discontinued.

Usually hard to find, but there's a bunch on eBAY at the moment (one of the cheapest)

M5-Guy

I own a Pentax Super Program...
Very solid, same size as the MX, and ME Super....
Offers P/S/A/M
Sync 1/125
No bat = 1/125 on Manual
Now, with the ME/ME-Super/Super Program without a battery, you will lose the shutter except 1/125 on a Super Program.

The Super Program (Program A in EU) was the TOP of the line in semi and program SLRs, and the MX was the TOP of THIS line in a Full manual SLR. The LX was the Top of the TOP... Pro SLR.

I just had mine given a CLA + New Screen for $50.00 !!!
The 2 buttons a top the camera can go bad, a CLA will take this, and other minor repairs, plus a shutter check/adj if needed.

The LX is more expensive, and should get CLA also, But, it was built to higher standard for Pro use.

Stay clear of the early AF Pentax (read Cheap Chinese C**P), And the Z series is not that much better.

Leicadoc

Want to own a REAL Pentax?
Get a Spotmatic or SP2.
The screw mount lenses are amazing, almost Leica quality, and are incredibly inexpensive. There are several good service people.
A dear friend gave me one, including the standard 50/1.4 lens which came with it, back in the day. I have since added a 135/3.5 and a 400/4.6, as well as a 200/4.0 and a 35/3.5 .
Total investment?