The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for Xpan Users

T

tokengirl

An "opportunity" came my way, and I decided to live up to the GetDPI mantra ("buy now, explain later"). The kit does not come with the center filler filter.

So in your experience, how important is the center filler filter for the 45mm lens?

I would imagine it's not critical for b&w film, but I wonder about color slide film? Your thoughts are appreciated, sample images welcome.

Thanks,
Claire

T

tetsrfun

No experience but from my 5th edition "the Hasselblad Manual": (excerpt)
"..a slight darkening may occur at edges and corners..This is noticeable on images taken with 30mm and on transparencies with the 45mm lens at apertures of f/8 or larger. You can eliminate the darkening on 45mm images by setting the lens to f/11 or smaller or by attaching a center filter specially made for this lens. I suggest (not me) that you make a test film-photograph your typical subjects before investing in the filter. You may not consider it necessary, especially if most or all of your images are made on negative film."

steve

T

tokengirl

Ah, yes, the Good Book. :)

Well it arrived already, and it looks to be in uber perfect condition. It sure is a handsome piece of kit!

Ok I'm off to test it out now.

Lars

Assuming you shoot in wide format, the 45 wide open will show significant dropoff towards the edges and corners. Stopped down to f/8 or smaller it's not bad but certainly noticeable. However, if you plan for digital PP then it's fairly easy to correct.

It's also less noticeable on negative film due to the tonal compression inherent in the neg capture.

T

tetsrfun

I will be interested in our impression. I have considered getting one for several years but the whole film "thing" discouraged me. Over the past several weeks, I have started scanning and it's not as bad as I had thought. (A lot to learn, however) So an XPan is back into the "gear buying" part of my brain. :>)

Steve

T

tokengirl

I like this camera. It's going to take some getting used to - the perspective is very different. With the 45mm lens, the height is a "normal" view, but the width is not. I would probably be more comfortable with the 30mm lens, but the cost is forcing me outside my comfort zone. :D

I don't find the light falloff to be significant with B&W film. The above photo was shot at f8, and I really don't see any.

drazin

i use the 45mm lens and do not have a center filter on it.

i have not found it to be a problem in any way.

Texsport

No experience but from my 5th edition "the Hasselblad Manual": (excerpt)
"..a slight darkening may occur at edges and corners..This is noticeable on images taken with 30mm and on transparencies with the 45mm lens at apertures of f/8 or larger. You can eliminate the darkening on 45mm images by setting the lens to f/11 or smaller or by attaching a center filter specially made for this lens. I suggest (not me) that you make a test film-photograph your typical subjects before investing in the filter. You may not consider it necessary, especially if most or all of your images are made on negative film."

steve
Exactly my experience.:)

Texsport

Stuart Richardson

It really depends on how much you care about vignetting. I only have the 45mm lens, often shoot it wide open on black and white negative and on e-6. I have never had a problem, but I don't go looking to make sure it is lit perfectly evenly from corner to corner. There IS certainly vignetting wide open, but often this works fine with the composition. Given that the frame is so wide, you often have less relevant things in the extreme corners, and the vignetting is usually subtle enough to direct the eye to the main subject, without detracting from the rest of the image. I would echo everyone else in saying just shoot first, and if it is a problem, then look for a filter.

T

tokengirl

After shooting some more B&W, I find I don't need the filter for that at any aperture. Yesterday I shot a roll of Portra NC, and it was definitely more noticeable. But still not enough to make we buy the filter. I have a roll of Astia in the camera now, we'll see how that turns out.

Honestly, I think I'll probably buy a 50-pack of HP5+ and some b&w filters and just stick with that for this camera.

Lars

What happens with B&W is that your brain allows for a wider range of interpretations of subject matter as realistic. With color we are much more picky.

Keep an eye out for a centerfilter on the second hand market anyway, they don't show up too often.

M

Mak_Vurn

yes I meant , AT the face.

Thanks a lot, clears things up.

Now to find me an incidence light meter.

Just one more question please. Why would I want to take an incident reading as opposed to a reflective one?

Thank you for your patience..Doug and Bart.