The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Small guage movie film cameras

Other than me, is there anyone else on this forum who shoots with motion picture film cameras? In about the mid to late 90s, I got into super 8 mainly to experiment with time lapse. For $150, I picked up a Canon 1014 Autozoom Electronic and a Eumig projector. Though it took me at least two months to track down the elusive interval timer that was made specifically for this camera. The 1014 can also run at 54fps, producing a really nice, smooth slow motion effect. During the course of my shooting, I also developed an appreciation for the look of cine film which was distinctly different to video, especially consumer video.

Ive also shot a little 16mm with a Russian made Krasnogorsk 3. I never thought I would use a frame size smaller than super 8 but now, I'm about to dive into regular 8mm. Despite the tiny frame, I have seen some quite impressive imagery with this very old 8mm format. Of course to get really stellar results, it's almost mandatory to use slow speed film stocks exposed with sharp prime lenses like the Switars on a Bolex H8.

Godfrey

Back in the mists of time, I made movies with regular 8, super 8, super 8 sound and 16mm (silent and sound). I had a Bolex 8mm, Bolex H16 Reflex and a Beaulieu 4008 ZM II, courtesy of my father and my uncle.

My brother had whatever the top of the line Minolta Super 8 was a half dozen years later and made many shorts with it.

But that was then and this is now. If a simple DV cam and iMovie had existed in 1973, my life would have been completely different. I gave up motion work then entirely because I simply couldn't afford to pursue it until some time in the 1990s, and then the film era was over.