The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens for your M mount camera??

iver aldas

Do you guys prefer a Leica glass or do you consider alternatives? I am greatly frustrated with myself due to the fact that I have been wanting a Summicron 35/2 IV "bokeh king" version but it seems that it's too hard for me to have one due to budget constraint. And my friends keeps on telling me that I don't need a Leica lens as capture great pictures with my Skopar Classic 35/2.5. But I don't know whats with that lens that I am fancying it so much every single day. :loco:

Last edited:

seakayaker

Iver, I currently have the Voigtlander 28/1.9 Ultron ASPH, 40/1.4 Nokton, 50/1.5 Nokton ASPH, and 90/3.5 APO Lanthar.

I have owned and sold the Voigtlander 75/1.8 Heliar Classic, 75/2.5 Color Heliar, and Zeiss 25/2.8 Biogon T* ZM.

I do not hesitate to use lenses other then Leica. A good reference for Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander lens can be found at Steve Huff, http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/ , and Sean Reid's site (this is a subscription site) http://www.reidreviews.com/login.asp as well as other review sites that can be found.

With the current availability of Leica lenses and cost of used lenses on the market can be quite expensive. Using a Voigtlander or Zeiss substitution is worthwhile and can always be sold down the road. Having two 35mm lens is not a bad thing if you can afford it either . . . .

Good luck with your search.

iver aldas

Iver, I currently have the Voigtlander 28/1.9 Ultron ASPH, 40/1.4 Nokton, 50/1.5 Nokton ASPH, and 90/3.5 APO Lanthar.

I have owned and sold the Voigtlander 75/1.8 Heliar Classic, 75/2.5 Color Heliar, and Zeiss 25/2.8 Biogon T* ZM.

I do not hesitate to use lenses other then Leica. A good reference for Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander lens can be found at Steve Huff, http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/ , and Sean Reid's site (this is a subscription site) http://www.reidreviews.com/login.asp as well as other review sites that can be found.

With the current availability of Leica lenses and cost of used lenses on the market can be quite expensive. Using a Voigtlander or Zeiss substitution is worthwhile and can always be sold down the road. Having two 35mm lens is not a bad thing if you can afford it either . . . .

Good luck with your search.
Thank you for this Dan. Will read everything and hopefully it will change my mind into getting a Leica lens and consider the alternatives. I'm more of a 35mm person and using a lens with a different focal point will greatly affect my composition and it takes time for me to adjust. I envy you for having the flexibility in coping for different lenses having different focal points. Well, I think I need to work double time in order to have what I want. Its really hard to be a 25 year old broke photographer. Lol! Appreciate your response Dan! :)

W

wj.imhere

mine are
1. 35 / 1.4 voigtlander nokton - good in color , good in bw , good sharpness , ok bokeh
2. 35 summicron IV - good in color , superb in bw , good sharpness , superb bokeh , superb tone
3. 35 summilux asph - superb in color , superb in bw , superb sharpness , superb bokeh and superb tone
4. 50 summicron bih - great in color , great in bw , good sharpness , ok bokeh , good tone

JSRockit

I have three M mount lenses currently... Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 C-Biogon, MS Optical 35mm f/3.5 Perar MKII, and a Leica 50mm Summarit 2.5. Outside of the Leica lens I already have and perhaps a 35mm summicron...I do not think I'll be buying any M glass from Leica anymore. It's just gotten way too out of my league for comfort.

250swb

One of the wonderful things about the M mount is the availability of lenses, and the excitment of finding those that add something to your photography.

Most of my lenses are Leica, but some are older screwmount ones that I share between my Leica IIIF and my film and digital M bodies using an adapter. Of those that are screwmount and not made by Leica, and worthy of any M camera the two that come to mind are the CV 21mm Skopar, and the 75mm f/2.5 Heliar. You can now get the 21mm in M mount, but it is essentially the same lens. Both the 21mm and 75mm offer a big bang for buck.

Steve

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Iver,
I have had the 35 f/2.5 (a very nice lens) and the Bokeh King. I now have the 35 cron ASPH. My personal favorite, however, is the Nokton f/1.2. The size might be a factor, but you can't go wrong with the output of that lens.
I don't think you will find that the Bokeh King is that much of an improvement over the 35 f/2.5 in relation to the price difference. If possible, try to get ahold of a Bokeh King to try out before you make a decision.

leif e

At the moment my only lens (at all) is the CV 2,5/35 sitting on my M2. I´ve had a couple of other versions of that lens before and I´ve always liked it.
I´d like to add the 1,5/50 Nokton or a good sample of the Canon 1,4/50 (the 1,2 is also great, but a bit on the large side for my taste).
leif e

iver aldas

Iver,
I have had the 35 f/2.5 (a very nice lens) and the Bokeh King. I now have the 35 cron ASPH. My personal favorite, however, is the Nokton f/1.2. The size might be a factor, but you can't go wrong with the output of that lens.
I don't think you will find that the Bokeh King is that much of an improvement over the 35 f/2.5 in relation to the price difference. If possible, try to get ahold of a Bokeh King to try out before you make a decision.
Thanks for the suggestions Cindy. I decided to why not go differently and purchase a canon lens instead of the usual leica or voigtlander lenses. Just to try it out. The specific canon lens that catches my attention is the 35/2 which they consider as a poor man's summicron or a bokeh king killer. I cannot say that it's a bokeh king killer maybe the photos taken out of this lens has similarities with the cron bokeh king based on the photos I've seen taken with both lenses. For me it doesn't matter, what I love about this lens is it's character. It has it's own feeling/texture/contrast/midtone which I really love. As far as I can remember Gary Winogrand used a canon lens on most of his photographs. This lens is definitely a keeper. This is my main lens as of the moment. I am saving for another M body and hopefully a cron 35 IV Pre-Asph/ASPH.

Regards,
Iver