The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 7II

tjv

Just wanted to quickly say that for the last two weeks I have been using my Mamiya 7II in temperatures hovering around -8 – -20 degrees celsius and it has performed absolutely flawlessly. I've never put it in my bag to keep it warm and several times the camera was actually so cold I couldn't touch it with bare hands. I had thought about selling my kit a while back but am glad I didn't – I tried shooting with my Technika in these conditions and it was nearly impossible.

Anyway, just wanted to put in a little plug for this great camera. T

segedi

Good on ya! I was out in -24 C last week and had no desire to be ou tin that let alone photograph in it! I sold a Mamiya 7 II and now regret it....

bensonga

Darn, guess I have no excuses then.....it's currently -22C here and the high tomorrow is supposed to be -20C, but it's so darn cold, I really haven't wanted to get out with the digital cameras. Hadn't really thought about taking my M7II out. Actually, I'm surprised that with the electronic shutter etc, it works ok in such cold temps.

Gary

tjv

Just had four 1 x 1.5m prints made from negs I shot last week. They look absolutely fantastic and I'd say almost indistinguishable from my 4x5" captured shots. The lenses for this system are simply stunning, especially the 50mm, far better than the glass I have for LF.

As for the electronic shutter, I had the same thought. I almost invested in the Mamiya accessory external battery holder for cold temps. Glad I didn't as I don't seem to use it. thirty rolls on and still not battery change despite the cold!

Stuart Richardson

This has been my experience as well. I basically stopped shooting 4x5 for the image quality...the Mamiya 7 does better for me (it is easier to get sharper across the frame, less vibration, less wind profile (a big deal in Iceland) etc etc. I have never had a problem with it in the cold, that said, I have never had any problems with lithium batteried cameras either. My M9 and the S2 (though have only done 3 hours in -7C so far) have not skipped a beat in cold weather, though Iceland does not really get that cold...(really...it is on the gulf stream and the winters are mostly around the freezing point unless you go up into the highlands.)

tjv

The only issue I've had seven weeks on is in that temp the plastic lens hoods keep cracking. Seriously, the Mamiya 7 is one brilliant system. Amazing lenses and trouble free operation. I've fallen over onto my camera many times this trip – black ice has been a real issue! – and haven't even had any RF alignment issues. With my Leica's, I had to get them calibrated almost every four weeks just transporting them in my bag!

Pingang

Mamiya 7 can go a lot colder, I use to shoot it in winter Wisconsin outdoor for hours without problem. Mamiys 7 has this battery saver with a installer inside the battery chamber and wire with connector to connect with the battery keeper that you can put it in your chest pocket, so the battery stays warm all the time.
When moving around of keep the camera in the bag, you simply disconnect the cable when the battery keeper still with you stay warm. I have the accesory bought when I got my Mamiya 7 years years back, not sure if it still sells.

BR,
Pingang

Just wanted to quickly say that for the last two weeks I have been using my Mamiya 7II in temperatures hovering around -8 – -20 degrees celsius and it has performed absolutely flawlessly. I've never put it in my bag to keep it warm and several times the camera was actually so cold I couldn't touch it with bare hands. I had thought about selling my kit a while back but am glad I didn't – I tried shooting with my Technika in these conditions and it was nearly impossible.

Anyway, just wanted to put in a little plug for this great camera. T