The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best M-mount Camera Under $600?

A

amyukie

What is the best M-mount film camera under $600 you guys think? I've had M6 in the past and I'm currently trading my M7 with a Cron 35/2 ASPH (my dream lens :angel:). So I'm looking for a replacement which doesn't cost a kidney.

I'm open to all suggestions, whether full mechanical/electronic, AE/Not, Meter/No-meter, Leica/Not ;)

Godfrey

i prefer the original Leica CL over the CLE, and you can find very nice ones for around $400-600 if you're patient. i like the controls on the CL particularly, and the fact that it's a completely mechanical camera.

BTW, my very nice M4-2 cost me $820, including a service trip to CLA and recalibrate the rangefinder. For the extra couple hundred dollars, I'd recommend something like that.

Oren Grad

BTW, my very nice M4-2 cost me $820, including a service trip to CLA and recalibrate the rangefinder. For the extra couple hundred dollars, I'd recommend something like that.
+1. A beat-up M4-2 is one of my comfortable-old-shoe cameras. A CLA by Sherry was all it needed to be good for another 25 years.

monza

I much prefer the film load on a CLE over the CL. And the Hexar RF is even easier. The main bugaboo I have with M cameras is the loading...the M series separate baseplate, or in the case of the CL the entire back comes off.

That said, if you are patient you can find pretty much any M for under $600. I got this M4 and sent it to Gus Lazarri for a CLA. My net cost was $350 (yes, including CLA) and it's essentially as-new. 1969 model. I had him trick it out with some black parts.

A

amyukie

Hi guys, thanks for your inputs. I'm still not sure what I want. I really want M body but it is expensive to get one in a decent shape. Btw, that M4 is f-ing beautiful!!!!!!!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Wow! Beautiful!

I much prefer the film load on a CLE over the CL. And the Hexar RF is even easier. The main bugaboo I have with M cameras is the loading...the M series separate baseplate, or in the case of the CL the entire back comes off.

That said, if you are patient you can find pretty much any M for under $600. I got this M4 and sent it to Gus Lazarri for a CLA. My net cost was $350 (yes, including CLA) and it's essentially as-new. 1969 model. I had him trick it out with some black parts.