The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

shtarka1

Matt, 2 cool shots & the tone is appropriate. Im still trying to understand & swallow the "Lenin" statue on US soil?!:confused: Any resistance to this that you know of? Very interesting & of course shot well!:)

m_driscoll

Matt, 2 cool shots & the tone is appropriate. Im still trying to understand & swallow the "Lenin" statue on US soil?!:confused: Any resistance to this that you know of? Very interesting & of course shot well!:)
Steve: Thanks. Nope, no comments that i know of. Although, it's been around for a while. Think of it as a (cold) war souvenir. Like the german helmet my grandfather brought back from WWI.

I've been scanning like crazy. I think that i've perhaps got the process down. Unfortunately the VP 750 comes with the wrong version of Silverfast Ai. You need their Silverfast Ai Studio Multiexposure ($180) upgrade. It does the same as multi-sampling in a lot less time. I bought it last night. I scanned some frames at 8x multi-sampling, 3200 dpi, and did multiexposure at the same size. The multi sampling took all day! I'm going to compare them tonight side by side.

The Plustek 7600Ai looks pretty good. Although, it isn't available anywhere. The main disadvantage IMHO is that you can't do unattended batch scans (24 frames at a time) like you can with the Epson.

Cheers,
Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Matt, I'm not usually a fan of Velvia, but #2 is very nice. I like the way the boats are framed and I love the texture and color of the archway.

Helen, I like the way the soap has added interest to the window-washer shot. You look marvelous with your friend.

m_driscoll

Here's another film experiment. A bit of everything. No theme!

M7, 24mm f/1.4 lens, Fujichrome Provia 400x E6 film. Lloyd said this was better then Velvia and I agree. Also, found a lab in town that did these in one day: processed and scanned at 19 mb tifs. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Helen -- I love love love the window washer shot! Really nice. I also see you have been taking part in one of my favorite pastimes -- hanging out with models.

Matt -- nice work with the 400x. I also like the color palette better than velvia. It is a great film -- I just recently posted some pushed to 1600 in the other film thread...it really maintains its colors and saturation well. For the record, Provia 100F has a similar (identical?) color palette, so if you are not into Velvia, you can always get this film in a 100 speed as well....
As for doing the film in one day -- you are lucky. Now that I am working as a lab, I understand how hard that can be to do! When I was in Santa Barbara they would turn around E6 in 2.5 to 3 hours! I can't even imagine being able to do that. When I process it myself it takes me an hour or so just to get the film from the reel to the drying cabinet. (Then again, this is with a Jobo, not an automated E6 machine).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Here's another film experiment. A bit of everything. No theme!

M7, 24mm f/1.4 lens, Fujichrome Provia 400x E6 film. Lloyd said this was better then Velvia and I agree. Also, found a lab in town that did these in one day: processed and scanned at 19 mb tifs. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

Matt, I like these colors. I will have to step out of my Ektar comfort level and give this film a try. #3 and #4 are just fantastic! The greens (as in #2) are what usually bother me with Velvia. They look really good (to my eye, YMMV) in your #2 shot.
How lucky you are to have a lab that will turn around an E6 develop and scan in one day. I can get my 35mm C41 film back in one hour from my Walgreens ($2.19 for develop only), but then the labor intensive scan part starts.:ROTFL: We have no local lab in my town, so mailing in E6 and 120 of all flavors is required.

Last edited:

helenhill

Cheers & THanx for peeking & your kind words, Matt, Cindy & Stuart...:cool:

I have finally settled on my FAV Film ...
triX/Tmax PUSHED
in Rodinal
Pure Magic
& Tones I ADORE...rich Blacks

m_driscoll

...Matt -- nice work with the 400x. I also like the color palette better than velvia. It is a great film -- I just recently posted some pushed to 1600 in the other film thread...it really maintains its colors and saturation well. For the record, Provia 100F has a similar (identical?) color palette, so if you are not into Velvia, you can always get this film in a 100 speed as well....
As for doing the film in one day -- you are lucky. Now that I am working as a lab, I understand how hard that can be to do! When I was in Santa Barbara they would turn around E6 in 2.5 to 3 hours! I can't even imagine being able to do that. When I process it myself it takes me an hour or so just to get the film from the reel to the drying cabinet. (Then again, this is with a Jobo, not an automated E6 machine).
Stuart: Thanks. As i noted, I'm working my way through color and B&W film and trying different labs. So far, I like Provia and the lab in Seattle. I'll see how they do with B&W. I used to develop my own film (25 years ago!). I hate to admit it (not the PC thing), but digital has spoiled me. I'll get some Provia 100 and try it. My next color film to try is Kodak Portra 800.

BTW, your photos in the other analog thread are fantastic! I'll have to make that part of my GetDPI circuit. Hope you're staying out of the volcano's way?

Matt, I like these colors. I will have to step out of my Ektar comfort level and give this film a try. #3 and #4 are just fantastic! The greens (as in #2) are what usually bother me with Velvia. They look really good (to my eye, YMMV) in your #2 shot.
How lucky you are to have a lab that will turn around an E6 develop and scan in one day. I can get my 35mm C41 film back in one hour from my Walgreens ($2.19 for develop only), but then the labor intensive scan part starts.:ROTFL: We have no local lab in my town, so mailing in E6 and 120 of all flavors is required.
Cindy: Thank you. I like this film a lot. My first rolls, I mailed to California. I'd rather drive up the street if the quality is there. The scans at Walgreen's were quite small. This new lab will do 20mb TIF's. I haven't found anybody that will do scans larger then that as a standard process?

Cheers & THanx for peeking & your kind words, Matt, Cindy & Stuart...:cool:

I have finally settled on my FAV Film ...
triX/Tmax PUSHED
in Rodinal
Pure Magic
& Tones I ADORE...rich Blacks
Helen: Thanks. I have that film loaded in my M7 right now. In my Nikkormat days, Tri X was all i used.

Cheers, Matt

Maggie O

I loved Helen's pix over at Flickr- they're great!

Matt, I think I'm going to have to find a lab here in Lincoln that'll do what your lab is doing! Those photos look great! Great use of color as a compositional element.

m_driscoll

Matt....Fantastic Colors & Nice Shooting!
Steve: Thanks. I'm getting into it. Have to be one with the film (if you can remember what you loaded!).

Matt, I think I'm going to have to find a lab here in Lincoln that'll do what your lab is doing! Those photos look great! Great use of color as a compositional element.
Maggie O: Thanks. E6 seems to have better grain for color.

Cheers, Matt

shtarka1

Steve: Thanks. Nope, no comments that i know of. Although, it's been around for a while. Think of it as a (cold) war souvenir. Like the german helmet my grandfather brought back from WWI.

I've been scanning like crazy. I think that i've perhaps got the process down. Unfortunately the VP 750 comes with the wrong version of Silverfast Ai. You need their Silverfast Ai Studio Multiexposure ($180) upgrade. It does the same as multi-sampling in a lot less time. I bought it last night. I scanned some frames at 8x multi-sampling, 3200 dpi, and did multiexposure at the same size. The multi sampling took all day! I'm going to compare them tonight side by side.

The Plustek 7600Ai looks pretty good. Although, it isn't available anywhere. The main disadvantage IMHO is that you can't do unattended batch scans (24 frames at a time) like you can with the Epson.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks for the history lesson on Vladimir Ilyich! I get it now..;)

So what your telling me is the Epson 750 is 180 more for the proper software...Oy!:eek:

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Took a walk in Georgetown, Washington DC, with a Leica M6. All images were taken by Elmar 50/2.8 (Fuji Velvia 50).