The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

Stuart Richardson

Rayyan -- those are some excellent, classic M photos. I look forward to seeing more like them!

Matt -- Looks great -- the M7 is the best film M I think. I may take some flack for that, but I have used the M3, MP (new), M6, and CL, and the M7 is the most useful I think. The electronically controlled shutter does not seem to develop shutter time issues (my M3 and MP both have, even after recent CLA's), it is nice to have a stepless AE for shooting slides, nice to see the shutter speed in the viewfinder. It is quieter, particularly from 1s to 1-30th. The timed long exposures are useful, and it is a great camera for long exposures because it will actually count up how long B has been held down in the VF -- it is really convenient for night work.
The 24mm...well, I am jealous. I bet it is fantastic on film...show us some shots!
I know no one asked, but since we are on the subject, here's my M7. It is an a la carte that I got right after that program started. Chrome .85 with MP style wind and script, and zeiss blue leather (sacriledge!).

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Cindy -- I don't have a nice photo of it like I do with the black and white, but I have this snapshot in color that gives you a better look at it:

m_driscoll

Rayyan -- those are some excellent, classic M photos. I look forward to seeing more like them!

Matt -- Looks great -- the M7 is the best film M I think. I may take some flack for that, but I have used the M3, MP (new), M6, and CL, and the M7 is the most useful I think. The electronically controlled shutter does not seem to develop shutter time issues (my M3 and MP both have, even after recent CLA's), it is nice to have a stepless AE for shooting slides, nice to see the shutter speed in the viewfinder. It is quieter, particularly from 1s to 1-30th. The timed long exposures are useful, and it is a great camera for long exposures because it will actually count up how long B has been held down in the VF -- it is really convenient for night work.
The 24mm...well, I am jealous. I bet it is fantastic on film...show us some shots!
I know no one asked, but since we are on the subject, here's my M7. It is an a la carte that I got right after that program started. Chrome .85 with MP style wind and script, and zeiss blue leather (sacriledge!).
Stuart: I hope to be getting my first rolls of processed film back tomorrow. I didn't use the 24mm yet with it. I'll use it today, if the weather cooperates. I do like the features of the M7. Not quite as purist, but still film. The B&W photo's a work of art!

Thanks Cindy -- I don't have a nice photo of it like I do with the black and white, but I have this snapshot in color that gives you a better look at it:
Stuart: Very nice. Brightens up those Icelandic days. Also, classic lens.

Matt...Nice!!!!!!:)

Stuart......Nice!!!!:)
Steve: Thank you.

Cheers, Matt
http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Stuart, Your M7 is really beautiful. I love the summicron, too. Thank you for showing me the color version. You must turn a lot of heads with that one.

Maggie O

Hi gang, Cindy was kind enough to invite me to this thread, after I popped up in the Classifieds section. I've been shooting an M8 for the last three years, but seeing Helen and Eric's gorgeous work with film made me want to get back to shooting film again, at least part-time. So, I picked up an M2 and started shooting. The M2 had sticky/ghosting framelines and since I'm an obsessive shooter, I had to get a backup film M body and when I saw an M4-P in the classifieds here, I jumped on it!

The M4-P arrived today, along with five rolls of C41 color film! Thanks, Sam!!

Here it is, all ready to go with my Jupiter-8 mounted:

Here's a couple of photos from the first roll of ISO 400 C41 "SureFine" film I ran through it (Walgreens' scans, one converted to B&W, the other tweaked a wee bit for color balance):

And here's a few from the M2, 35/3.5 Summaron LTM on expired Kodak Gold 200 and again, a Walgreens' scan (converted to B&W in LightZone) :

And a couple from the Jupiter-8/M2/Kodak Gold (again converted to B&W in LightZone) combo:

And here's the M2 with the Summaron (formerly Helen's, natch):

Whoa, that got long.

m_driscoll

Maggie O: Those are wonderful. The B&W and the color are quite good. Nice grain and tonality. I'm just getting back into film also, although, I'm still waiting for mine to get back from NCPS. Based on your quality, I should have gone to Walgreens. The portraits (parents? and cat) are great captures. And, your cameras and lenses are very cool!

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

shtarka1

Maggie, congrats on the M4-P! The IQ on these are Fantastic! Looking forward to more! Glad your here! Thanks Cindy ;)!

Maggie O

Thanks, y'all!

Oh, and Matt, yep, that's my dad and the woman is the cleaning lady.

Last edited: