The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

Kokoshawnuff

A couple from Savannah, GA

M7, APO Telyt 135, Arista Premium (Tri-X) in f76+

M7, APO Telyt 135, Arista Premium (Tri-X) in f76+

M7, Summilux 50 ASPH, Arista Premium (Tri-X) in f76+

Kokoshawnuff

A few from Castillo de San Marcos in St Augustine

M7, Super Elmar 21, Arista Premium (Tri-X) in f76+

M7, Super Elmar 21, Arista Premium (Tri-X) in f76+

M7, Summilux 50 ASPH, Arista Premium (Tri-X) in f76+

dmabry2010

Greetings!!

I have enjoyed the M8.2, the M9, and I have the M240 on order.

But, recently I realized with all the glass I have it is a shame to not try them in the natural state they were intended -- film cameras.

Are there recommended Leica M film cameras? I know there is a dynasty here, but would one go with an M3 for legacy, or go with a later version.

Thank you,

dmabry2010

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
dmabry,
You can't go wrong with any Leica M camera. I have had most models and a couple of Barnack's, too. I have settled in on an M2. M3 is a beauty. M5 has wonderful controls, but is a little chunky in my hand. The M4-P that I had was beautiful. M6 classic just fits perfectly in my hands and is easy to control. M7 has Aperture priority. MP is a modern classic. M6tttl is great. Models before M5, do not have built-in meters. I guess you have figured out that I really love them all. You will find any of them will give you great negatives with a little care.
Have fun!

Greetings!!

But, recently I realized with all the glass I have it is a shame to not try them in the natural state they were intended -- film cameras.

Are there recommended Leica M film cameras? I know there is a dynasty here, but would one go with an M3 for legacy, or go with a later version.

Thank you,

dmabry2010

MikalWGrass

Cindy, thank you for the compliment. As I told Lloyd, it seems that Ivan's skateboarding days are over now that he has a kids road bike. My 12 year old is learning to box so now that I have a better idea of how to post from Flickr, I will be posting shots in the Sony forum (a900) of him.

dmabry (as in Dale Mabry), I have an M6, which I absolutely love. Last week I held an old double stroke M3 at the Leica Store a mile from my home. It was a thing of beauty. If you have to have an internal meter, the M3 is not for you. Otherwise, they are built like tanks, and will continue to take a beating long after the digital Ms are cannibalized for parts or used as paperweights.

Lloyd

Lloyd,

Thank you.

Ivan skateboarding. M6 and 50/1.4. Scanned on a Nikon Coolscan 9000.
Fun shot, Mikal. Have you tried posting it directly, rather than as a direct thumbnail? If you can't get it to work, PM me, I'll send you my cell phone number, you can call me and I'll walk you through it. It's only hard the first time. ;)

seakayaker

Greetings!!

Thank you,

dmabry2010
I enjoy using a camera with the built in meter so I have picked up a M6TTL and a MP. I have been using film cameras about 80% or higher when taking photographs for the past 18 months or so.

Good luck with your final decision on which M film camera to buy.