The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How about more and more fun with Leica M? (Film)

chrism

Here are some results from my stupid development of Ektar 100 in TMax developer, all M7, Lux 35FLE, X1 scans:

I guess I have made worse photos!

Chris

chrism

Two hour walk today, M7, Lux 35FLE, Kodak Ultramax 400, Unicolor presskit, X1 scans:

I also have some Fuji Superia 400 coming - only $2.25/24 shot. These cheap films aren't all bad!

Chris

chrism

Kodak Ultramax 400 again, this time exposed at 200 to reduce grain:

Two separate beaver ponds (with a lodge in the middle of the second):

The maple leaves are beginning to go red

Bracket fungus:

Chris

chrism

I have been experimenting with pulling Tri-X. Leica MP, Summarit 35, Tri-X @200, HC-110(E), X1 scans:

Chris

chrism

I went to the beach yesterday and finished a roll of Ultramax 400 (at ISO200). All M7, Lux 35FLE, Unicolor chemicals, X1 scans:

Virginia creeper

Chris

chrism

I finally got around to retaking the photo of the bicycle covered in knitting (last time I did it on Ektar but developed by mistake in B&W developer). This time with Ultramax 400:

Chris

chrism

It's been a rough couple of weeks but I got back behind a camera today. Has anyone any experience with the way a battery fails in an MP? The meter was a bit strange today—flashing back and forth between one thing and another. The film, XP2, was exposed at my usual ISO200, and developed in my usual regime of 1:100 Rodinal. But there were whited out negs and black ones, along with a very few decent ones. I've changed the battery in case that was the problem and I'll try again tomorrow, weather permitting.

Chris

Gbealnz

Sorry Chris, can't help with your MP and meter query.

Nice shots though.

Question. XP2, it's a " develop in colour chemistry " film correct? How come it works in Rodinal? Your results certainly look like it does.
Gary

chrism

You can develop C-41 films in B&W chemicals, even the colour films. Of course they will not develop as colour images, but as B&W. Almost anything will work, but some are better than others. Somewhere above are some Ektar 100 that I did by error in TMax developer. (Here)
Using 1:100 Rodinal for an hour's semistand (3 inversions at start, and three at 30 minutes) gives an almost grain-free result with XP2 exposed at 200. Plus it's much cheaper than using my C-41 chemicals! I've also done XP2 in Diafine, but it is a little more grainy than the Rodinal. Easily dealt with with the Luminance noise slider in LR if it offends.
Frankly, the reason I do it is to reduce grain—and I know many will reply with all the gory details of their undying love for nice big coarse grain. Photographically, I grew up with cheap equipment with small aperture lenses, requiring fast films such as HP3. So my pictures were generally underexposed and very grainy. The desire to avoid that has stayed with me.

Chris

chrism

Here's a couple from today, XP2 @200 and developed in Diafine. Both Leica MP, Lux 35ASPH and X1 scans.

Chris

Gbealnz

Cheers Chris, explains a lot. I will definitely give this a whirl.
I've never done "stand" development, but will give this a crack as well.
Gary

chrism

Google it first - times vary compared to silver films. The Massive Development Chart lists several B&W developers to use with XP2 as well.

C.

MikalWGrass

Ok, gotta move this bad boy back near the top. All shot with an M6 and either a 50/1.4 pre-asph 'lux or ancient Nikkor 105/2.5 (LTM). Film was Portra 400 or 160VC. Scanned with the Nikon Coolscan 9000 on the medium format carrier with glass top because I haven't yet replaced the lost 35mm carrier.

The water polo player was not modeling; I don't even think he knows I took the shot. The "impressionistic" swimming photo is what happens when you try to shoot sports in the early evening with a slow shutter speed and slow film. I actually like it.

Thank you in advance for the likes.

Leicamodelwp by mikalgrass, on Flickr

Leicamodelwp3 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

LeicaImpressionist by mikalgrass, on Flickr

Leicamodelwp2 by mikalgrass, on Flickr

Leicagirlssoccer by mikalgrass, on Flickr

chrism

After a few weeks of medium format, I took up the M7 today and finished off the Fuji Superia in it. Firstly some trees:

and my son is home for the holidays, Cron 90 @ 1/12 (!), converted to B&W in LR:

This Superia always gets drying marks when other films don't. Grrr!

Chris