Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Time to try some Ektar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Helen and Lloyd.

Robert, I decided to only use Ektar for color until I got the hang of scanning it on the V700. I ended up really liking it and haven't bought any other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful image and colors in that Wisconsin spring photo Cindy! I really appreciate an image like yours today.....it's been sub-zero temps here for the past week.

I've got a roll of Ektar 100 loaded in one of my Hasselblad film magazines, but didn't get a chance to use it this Fall....now the landscape is just white with snow, so I missed my chance for nice colors. Might have to give it a try soon anyways....once the temp warms up to at least 20+ degrees!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a horizontal version of the Zabriskie Point image. I think I like this better than the vertical one, although this one looks a little darker.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely -- where is exactly is this? It reminds me of the places the plane flew over when I would fly home between Santa Barbara and CT...sadly my knowledge of the Southwest and middle part of America is essentially 0. Searching it in google though, it looks like Antonioni made a movie about it, that is a pretty high recommendation! Your photo looks like it was taken on Mars.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Gary.

Your photo of Zabriskie Point is amazing. I thought the Badlands were "bad". This looks like very unfriendly territory for humans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Death Valley is one of my favorite national parks. Fascinating geology, history, varied terrain (from below sea level to 10,000+ feet). Zabriskie Point overlooks Death Valley itself and these eroded hills are above the valley.

Good info on Zabriskie Point is here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zabriskie_Point

I love the panoramic image on this Wiki page....have to go back there again for that one! There is a trail leading down from Zabriskie Point, thru the Golden Canyon to the valley floor. Gotta do that someday too.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shot Jim! It looks like something you would find at an abandoned botanical garden. I love the toning as well.
    On the technical side though, are you using filtered water to mix your chemicals? And where are you drying the negs? You should not really have to deal with that many spots if you take a few precautions. HEPA filters also really help if you can bring yourself to get one.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    Hasselblad 2000 fc/w , 110/2 planar, tri-x, pyrocat HD developer
    shot wide open

(haven't retouched the specks out yet ...
    Beauty!. Love the tonality, and the wonderful bokeh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Beauty!. Love the tonality, and the wonderful bokeh!
    thanks!

(and for the other thread ... *this* is one reason why to shoot wide open

would be an entirely different (and boring) image stopped down at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WOW Stuart
    I couldn't think of
    anything BETTER than the Xpan shooting Iceland....FAB !!!!

Sublime Hassy Shot,,,, JIMCOLLUM

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Lovely shot Jim! It looks like something you would find at an abandoned botanical garden. I love the toning as well.
    On the technical side though, are you using filtered water to mix your chemicals? And where are you drying the negs? You should not really have to deal with that many spots if you take a few precautions. HEPA filters also really help if you can bring yourself to get one.
    yea.. it was on the glass of the scanner (i used an eversmart pro to scan). in the meantime, i've cleaned it up and scanned again .. no spots

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim....that 110/f2 Planar is superb. Wish I had a 2xx series camera to put one on. That is a wonderful image.

Here's a photo from the Alaska Railroad yards here in Anchorage. I was doing some comparison tests this summer between my Leica R8 with a 90mm f2.8 Elmarit, Canon EOS 1V with a 85mm f1.8 and a Nikon F3HP with a 105mm f2.5 AIS lens. All were shot with Fuji Provia 100. Honestly, it was hard for me to tell the difference between the results from each of these fine cameras for shots like this one. That said....anyone want to take guess as to which camera was used for this shot? Without checking the description or filename in my GetDPI gallery.

I was lucky to have 20 minutes for these test shots.....before a Alaska RR cop showed up and sent me packing.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One last photo from the old Mamiya Super. I sent her off to a new owner this week.
    Mamiya M645 Super, Ektar 100, 80mm f/1.9. Epson V700

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    One last photo from the old Mamiya Super. I sent her off to a new owner this week.
    Mamiya M645 Super, Ektar 100, 80mm f/1.9. Epson V700
    Beauty (those clouds are really something, btw). She'll be missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mamiya 7II 65mm lens.

the hellgate bridge was taken at twilight in my hometown of astoria in NYC. If Im not mistaken it was a 5 minute exposure with provia 100f.

The waterfall shot was a 30 sec exposure I took in the north woods of central park, NYC. fuji velvia 100
    Last edited by justin989; 23rd March 2011 at 20:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Justin,
    Those are so beautiful. The bridge is my favorite. I love the lights from the second bridge reflected in the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Absolutely stunning shots Justin! I've never been daring enough to try my hand at really long exposures.....you nailed these, for sure!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Beauty (those clouds are really something, btw). She'll be missed.
    +1.

Next up the Mamiya AFD? Look forward to seeing you work with the new camera Cindy.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    +1.

Next up the Mamiya AFD? Look forward to seeing you work with the new camera Cindy.

Gary
    Thanks, Lloyd and Gary. Next up...yes, Mamiya AFD (bought it from Guy) and the Mamiya 7!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justin989 View Post
    mamiya 7II 65mm lens.

the hellgate bridge was taken at twilight in my hometown of astoria in NYC. If Im not mistaken it was a 5 minute exposure with provia 100f.

The waterfall shot was a 30 sec exposure I took in the north woods of central park, NYC. fuji velvia 100
    Gorgeous, gorgeous both, but that bridge shot simply rocks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks LLoyd, Gary and Cindy for the comments! I love taking long exposures with film, water becomes more and more like glass the longer the exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks LLoyd, Gary and Cindy for the comments! I love taking long exposures with film, water becomes more and more like glass the longer the exposure.

Justin, Have you just learned to guesstimate the exposure with experience?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy,

Experience definitely has a lot to do with it for sure! There are a lot of factors that come into play, slide film will not behave the same way as negative film as I'm sure you know, so the exposure time with slide film has to be as accurate as possible as the chances of over and underexposure are more prominent. Daytime long exposures and Nighttime long exposures are different animals in their own right.

When I first started to dabble in long exposures, I applied a bracketing method to every shot and in the process, I went through many test roles of film. For example, for nighttime exposures after twilight, Using a slow speed slide film like provia 100f, I would start at 30 sec and gradually increase by incremental f stops (i.e. 30 sec, 1 min, 1:30min, 2min, 2:30min, 3min, 3:30min...etc) until about 10 minutes or so and record those times. From that experience, I learned a lot about how the film behaves with these incremental changes, so when I saw an exposure that I felt worked for me, I would apply that same time for future corresponding exposures under the same conditions, this method was applied when taking the Bridge shot.

For daytime shots, like the waterfall shot, I use a circular ND filter that reduces light transmission by 6 f stops. I set the aperture to f22 and metered normally through my mamiya 7 since it is not TTL, it will not compensate for the filter placed over the lens. That has to be done by the user, so on that particular day which was overcast, my meter read 1/2 sec at ISO 100, I then added 6 f stops to that reading which came out to be 30 sec. (i.e 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30) for an appropriate exposure.

Hope this explanation helped in some way!

cheers

-justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy,

Experience definitely has a lot to do with it for sure! There are a lot of factors that come into play, slide film will not behave the same way as negative film as I'm sure you know, so the exposure time with slide film has to be as accurate as possible as the chances of over and underexposure are more prominent. Daytime long exposures and Nighttime long exposures are different animals in their own right.

When I first started to dabble in long exposures, I applied a bracketing method to every shot and in the process, I went through many test roles of film. For example, for nighttime exposures after twilight, Using a slow speed slide film like provia 100f, I would start at 30 sec and gradually increase by incremental f stops (i.e. 30 sec, 1 min, 1:30min, 2min, 2:30min, 3min, 3:30min...etc) until about 10 minutes or so and record those times. From that experience, I learned a lot about how the film behaves with these incremental changes, so when I saw an exposure that I felt worked for me, I would apply that same time for future corresponding exposures under the same conditions, this method was applied when taking the Bridge shot.

For daytime shots, like the waterfall shot, I use a circular ND filter that reduces light transmission by 6 f stops. I set the aperture to f22 and metered normally through my mamiya 7 since it is not TTL, it will not compensate for the filter placed over the lens. That has to be done by the user, so on that particular day which was overcast, my meter read 1/2 sec at ISO 100, I then added 6 f stops to that reading which came out to be 30 sec. (i.e 1/2, 1, 2, 4, 8, 15, 30) for an appropriate exposure.

Hope this explanation helped in some way!

cheers

-justin
    Thanks, Justin. I use the ND technique to slowing water, but just was not sure how you came up with 5 minutes in the dark. I'm sure you learned a lot from those experiments and I appreciate you sharing it.
    I have a Mamiya 7 coming in about a week, and am very excited about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Winter is upon us here in Alaska (4 inches of fresh snow overnight). Here's a shot from many years ago. The Integrity, locked in winter's icy grip. Nikon F2, Nikkor 35mm f2 non-AI lens, Ilford FP4, Canoscan FS2720.

That mountain in the background is Mt. Susitna....also called "Sleeping Lady".

Gary

msglueck

very nice capture. especially the sharpness ist quite stunning for 35mm work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks msqlueck and sizifo! I know from experience it must have been a cold day....anytime we have clear skies in winter here the temps are probably in the single digits (F). That Nikon F2 served me well for many years.

Unfortunately, this whole area along Ship Creek has been "cleaned up" over the past 5 years....all the interesting old boats, barges and run down cannery buildings have been removed to make way for more shipping container storage for the Port of Anchorage and the Alaska Railroad.

Here's one more from a cold winter day....this one with the Pentax 67.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Winter is upon us here in Alaska (4 inches of fresh snow overnight). Here's a shot from many years ago. The Integrity, locked in winter's icy grip. Nikon F2, Nikkor 35mm f2 non-AI lens, Ilford FP4, Canoscan FS2720.

That mountain in the background is Mt. Susitna....also called "Sleeping Lady".

Gary

Wonderful shot. It sure looks cold though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple more black and white shots. These images were taken in 2008, just after I purchased my first Hasselblad (a life long dream come true). I took a trip to Dawson City in the Yukon Territory in June. Usually, I'm doing this trip on a motorcycle with my wife and friends, but I had hurt my back....so I had to drive the Honda instead. Figured I might as well bring the camera gear along too.

Lots of interesting historical buildings in Dawson City and the surrounding areas. The streets are still dirt with wooden boardwalks. Not as many large tour groups here as in other parts of Alaska or the Yukon that I've been. It's a pretty neat place to visit, if you're ever in that part of the world.

I really liked this building.

Hasselblad 501CM, 80mm f2.8 Planar, Ilford Delta 100, Epson V750 Pro scan.

Gary

Last edited by bensonga; 28th November 2009 at 15:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful shot. It sure looks cold though.
    That it was! I'm sure I didn't waste any time while jumping out of the car to get this shot.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something is wrong with this picture....it's the 21st century....the digital age....what compels me to post photos in the analog forum?

Gary

Cleveland, Ohio, 1994, Nikon F2, 35mm f2 non-AI lens, Fuji Provia, Canoscan 2720, PS CS3 BW conversion

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Something is wrong with this picture....it's the 21st century....the digital age....what compels me to post photos in the analog forum?

Gary

Cleveland, Ohio, 1994, Nikon F2, 35mm f2 non-AI lens, Fuji Provia, Canoscan 2720, PS CS3 BW conversion
    Oh, I don't know... maybe because they're beautiful, and well worth sharing (and appreciated by us, the humble viewer)? Yeah, that just might be it.

Actually, I think it's because art is the thing, not the medium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lloyd,

You're absolutely right. In this case, it's not the medium that is the message, it's the image itself.

It's so easy to get caught up in the technology...whether analog or digital.

Gary

Anchorage Fur Rendevous Carnival. Nikon F2, 50mm f1.4 non-AIS lens.
    Last edited by bensonga; 29th November 2009 at 20:06.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd,

You're absolutely right. In this case, it's not the medium that is the message, it's the image itself.

It's so easy to get caught up in the technology...whether analog or digital.

Gary

Anchorage Fur Rendevous Carnival. Nikon F2, 35mm f2 non-AIS lens.
    Bingo!

Nice interaction between the subjects here. Great catch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really like that shot of the sawmill with the vast forest in the background ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another B&W from the Alaska RR yards along Ship Creek here in Anchorage. Hasselblad 501CM, 50mm Distagon, Ilford Delta 100, Epson V750 scan.

I hope I'm in better shape than this old flat bed rail car when I'm finally "retired" from service. :-)

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I visited Goldfield, AZ (a ghost town). I shot these relics with Mamiya AFD and Mamiya 150 f/3.5/ Ektar 100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I visited Goldfield, AZ (a ghost town). I shot these relics with Mamiya AFD and Mamiya 150 f/3.5/ Ektar 100
    Those are beautiful images, Cindy.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fab! What a look. Beautiful.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, I've heard there are weird colors with Ektar if the exposure is slightly off. What is your experience?

Those are great...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Cindy, I've heard there are weird colors with Ektar if the exposure is slightly off. What is your experience?

Those are great...
    Robert,
    I have not been able to scan Ektra with Vuescan. I am having much more success with Silverfast. The colors here are a little on the pastel side, but that is due to the Mamiya Sekor 150 f/3.5. It rendered with a pastel look when used on my Nikon, too.
    All, in all, I'm very happy with Ektar and have been using it exclusively as my colored film lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ektar converted to B&W

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ektar converted to B&W
    Oh yes, very nice conversion.

spiderfrank

Albenga(Italy)

Olympus OM-10
    Zuiko 50/1.8
    Neopan Acros 100 pushed at 200 iso

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, Thank you for the nice comment on my Mamiya shots.

spiderfrank, These are lovely. My favorite is the first. I love the chipped plaster and the fabrics...and the story that it all tells.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfrank View Post

Albenga(Italy)

Olympus OM-10
    Zuiko 50/1.8
    Neopan Acros 100 pushed at 200 iso
    These are wonderful, timeless images. I particularly like the first two.