Site Sponsors
Page 20 of 85 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 4224

Thread: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Nice work Don and Gary!
    Don -- it really is apparent how different the two lenses are -- and why someone might have use for both!

Gary -- that is monster of a lens. I like the "discreet" pentax labeling on the hood. I would be curious to see that shoot out you are planning.

Here is a rather banal shot of a banal place. This is a gigantic shopping center that opened right before the present fiscal crisis in Iceland. It has a gargantuan parking lot, which I have never seen more than 1/100th full. Here is what it looks like on a regular day...

The insides of the building are just as empty (of people...not stuff). There is an Ikea like place that had 4 or 5 people working in it, and 5 or 6 customers. I am not sure how they are going to last.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Gary -- that is monster of a lens. I like the "discreet" pentax labeling on the hood. I would be curious to see that shoot out you are planning.
    There's no blending in with a crowd when using that lens or camera!

I will post images here when I've got them for the Pentax/Hasselblad 300/350 shootout. Something I just enjoy doing. I've compared 85-105mm lenses with my Canon EOS 1V (also from Marc), Leica R8 and Nikon F3HP....amazing how good they all are....it's really nits and quibbles to my eyes.

Here is a rather banal shot of a banal place. This is a gigantic shopping center that opened right before the present fiscal crisis in Iceland. It has a gargantuan parking lot, which I have never seen more than 1/100th full. Here is what it looks like on a regular day...
    I love these kind of documentary type photos Stewart. It really helps to illustrate the reality of what we read about in the papers (or online)....especially the impacts of this global economic recession etc. I always enjoy your photos from Iceland.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice work Don and Gary!
    Don -- it really is apparent how different the two lenses are -- and why someone might have use for both!

The insides of the building are just as empty (of people...not stuff). There is an Ikea like place that had 4 or 5 people working in it, and 5 or 6 customers. I am not sure how they are going to last.

Stuart,
    This really illustrates the world-wide "slowdown". I hope things turn around before those few workers lose their jobs.

Gary, I'm looking forward to your shootout. Isn't it amazing what wonderful film cameras there are out there at affordable prices?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you both! I will be putting up some new photos in the Leica M (film) thread pretty soon. I have come back to 35mm a bit recently -- it has an interesting way of drawing compared to larger formats and the new ultra-clean digital files we are used to...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

SCHWARZZEIT

Dominique -- thanks, I am glad you like the shot. The aurora was definitely bright enough to fill in the landscape. This was at the tail end of its display, but in the strongest part, it was almost bright enough to read by. By the time I took the 4x5 shot, it was much darker, but still bright enough to provide fill.
    That's interesting. I wasn't aware that the aurora can be that bright. I figured that the nights are much brighter the closer you get to the poles. Even though you've got these long dark winters it's more like a constant twilight because the sun doesn't sink that deep below the horizon.
    I like your shot as well. I get the impression that it would have a very nice tonality and impression in a print. Very thin negatives can sometimes produce very beautiful photos.
    Thanks for your comment, Stuart. I like how the tonality turned out on this shot but the Acros film has a very low density base fog making the shadows almost transparent. The problem is the micro dust within the scans that fall into that extremely low density range. Usually that kind of dust is masked out by higher densities. It would take days to clone out all these tiny specs from the file if I wanted to print it really big. Next time on a long shot like this I'll try a pyro developer.

I agree that there's no need for a center filter on the 110 XL on 4x5".

-Dominique

Post Thanks / Like

As a total aside, I'm pretty sure I was lucky enough to buy your Mamiya 7 50mm lens on ebay, Don... Have been out using it in the harsh NZ light the last few days and I love it already.

Thanks,

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    As a total aside, I'm pretty sure I was lucky enough to buy your Mamiya 7 50mm lens on ebay, Don... Have been out using it in the harsh NZ light the last few days and I love it already.

Thanks,

Tim
    Glad it's working for you Tim... I didn't see your WTB post on here until after you had grabbed it off Ebay! Oh well...

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever need a sellers reference here Don, I'm happy to help out. I was amazed how well the lens and finder were packaged and how fast it arrived. The box was seriously overkill. It could have fit a medium size family van!
    Thanks again,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

tjv, Please bring on some photos with that new 50mm. I have 80mm and 65mm and need to decide on a "wider".

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Cindy,

no worries. Will post something when I get some processing back. My impressions thus far are in comparison to the 43mm lens which I borrowed off a friend but found too wide for my tastes. I have the same other lenses as you, the 80mm and the 65mm and those they would be used for about 90% - 95% of my work, even now that I have the 50mm. I've taken some pretty mundane photos to test the 50mm performance and to see how the perspective looks on film vs. the viewfinder so I will post those results soon. From popular account sharpness to the corners and distortion won't be a problem. The more I use the Mamiya 7 system the more I love it. I just need the 150mm and a spare body for B/W to complete my kit. Oh and... And... ending with an X5 Flextight (which I'll NEVER be able to afford!)

Watch this space...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just got some film back today from A+I. Here is the first scan. I know I want to go wider than 65mm.

Rain on Lake Sumter Mamiya 7, 65 f/4, Ilford HP5 Super

Post Thanks / Like

Shot a few more off today with the 50mm. Was in the thick of it, taking a portrait of two young men on the street, and I kind of forget about all the marks in the external 50mm viewfinder. No one has really mentioned how accurate the external finders frame lines are and for what distance the marking are optimized for - how accurate the side markings are within two meters. I reckon I might have chopped off a few heads...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm trying to get a handle on my new scanner. I still don't have the glass carrier yet.
    View from London Bridge, Lake Havasu City, AZ Mamiya 7, 65 f/4, Ektar 100

St. Mary's Basilica in Phoenix Mamiya 7, 65 f/4, Ektar 100
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get the Nikon 9000? Great scanner, as was / is the 8000 if you're not impatient like me when waiting for scans. I'm lucky to have one at work (an 8000) but it's on the way out with a dead row of pixels. There aren't any spare parts apparently.
    Your scans look good though. The glass carrier will rock your world!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shots Cindy! I particularly like the first color one -- the colors of the lake are really beautiful. I would have thought it was the sea, not freshwater...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks.
    Yes, tjv, I was able to get a brand new Nikon 9000. I'm hoping it will last me for a long time.
    Stuart, The colors in the desert are really amazing. Lake Havasu was formed by damming the Colorado River (as I'm sure you know, Stuart.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't know that! I only knew about Lake Mead...

I have not really been to the Southwest other than to give a conference paper once in Phoenix. In any case, congratulations on the scanner! The 9000 should let you do so many things with the film you shoot. Nothing makes it easier to shoot film than a good scanner. It allows you to get the day to day stuff on the web, to make nice digital prints, and also do some repair and post processing work if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    tjv, Please bring on some photos with that new 50mm. I have 80mm and 65mm and need to decide on a "wider".
    Hi Cindy,
    Just like you, I also have the 65mm, and decided to get the 43mm, since I thought the 50mm is just too close in focal length to the 65mm. They are almost as close as a 35mm would be to a 28mm in the 35mm format.

Just my 2 cents!
    Francois

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks again, Stuart. I was able to get a brand new 9000. Robert (Monza) pulled that off. It required waiting about 3 months, but was worth the wait.

Francois, I am pretty sure that I should go for a 43mm when I am ready to buy the next lens. I bought a 7-14mm for my micro 4/3 (14-28 in 35mm terms) and am loving the wider view that that setup affords. I think that a 43mm will be spectacular on the Mamiya 7.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I'm trying to get a handle on my new scanner. I still don't have the glass carrier yet.
    View from London Bridge, Lake Havasu City, AZ Mamiya 7, 65 f/4, Ektar 100

St. Mary's Basilica in Phoenix Mamiya 7, 65 f/4, Ektar 100
    Terrific shots, Cindy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Terrific shots, Cindy.
    Absolutely Agree!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Lloyd and Steve. Your comments are much appreciated.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y Sol View Post
    Thank you all for the nice words! I'm working on this project since a long time. I have still 15 boxes of 665 film left and I hope to continue this serie.

Ydo
    CHECK THE FOLLOWING:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_296139.html

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Wow. That's a shocker... a happy one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi everyone!

I'm from the digital side, but thought I could post a few images shot with Nikon F6 and Kodak Professional Ektachrome, and scanned by Nikon 9000ED, with a little pp in PS CS4. Unfortunately I do not remember which lens I used. All shots are from the Topkapi Palace, Istanbul. Thanks for looking.

Best,

Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice photos, Osman. The last really stands out for me. I like the composition and the use of DOF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Cindy. I feel more comfortable in places where I go frequently.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm from the digital side, but thought I could post a few images shot with Nikon F6 and Kodak Professional Ektachrome, and scanned by Nikon 9000ED, with a little pp in PS CS4. Unfortunately I do not remember which lens I used. All shots are from the Topkapi Palace, Istanbul. Thanks for looking.

Best,

Osman
    These are really wonderful, Osman! Love the light in the first two, and the composition of the third one is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, my dear friend. You always support me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fogged film can sometimes look interesting...

It turned out interesting enough (well, at least the last one), but it was rather annoying. I have the darkroom light on a dimmer, and the switch broke...this caused it to spontaneously turn on at the exact moment that I was loading the film. It was a one in a million chance, but of course, those do happen every once in awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The third is a happy accident. I thought at first that it was a photo of Antelope slot canyon, but just not sharp. The colors are beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart; I was worried you might have fallen INTO some Icelandic magma. Is that a vulcan at the top of #2?
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or aiŽd), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha, no Leif, I am fine. Yes, they are all shots of the volcano currently going here. I have some others, but not really done yet. Most are from very far away. It is a 10 hour hike to get to the actual eruption site, and I have not really been up for it. It is crowded with thousands of people, it is freezing, and I don't really think I can get a more original photo than anyone else, so I am steering clear for now. I have been there twice. The first time 3 days after it started, there were only 40 people or so. The next time I went (on the weekend), there were over 1000 people there. That is more than 1/300th the population of the whole nation, so it felt really crowded!

Here is a standard (non-film) shot of the eruption:

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive - volcano and attendance! People arenŽt worried at all?
    le
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or aiŽd), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't seem to be a good time to post my first attempts with color medium format film, with all the excellent photos above. But anyhow, here are some modest contributions to the best thread on the forums. Kodak Portra 160, Hasselblad 500cm, 80mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sizifo View Post
    This doesn't seem to be a good time to post my first attempts with color medium format film, with all the excellent photos above. But anyhow, here are some modest contributions to the best thread on the forums. Kodak Portra 160, Hasselblad 500cm, 80mm
    Actually, it's a great time!! Excellent shots. Wonderfully detailed, and spot-on color. Very nice... let's see more!

Post Thanks / Like

Great color sizifo.

I really like the color of Portra NC, more like what I see.

SWC

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Great color sizifo.

I really like the color of Portra NC, more like what I see.

SWC
    Great shot. Love the composition. Wonderful, natural color.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lloyd for the kind comment.
    Another Portra and swc.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikel View Post
    Thanks Lloyd for the kind comment.
    Another Portra and swc.
    You're welcome... very much deserved.

Again on the is one, great color.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful photos mikel, especially the street painting. The film I shot was VC (vivid color), and this is evident when comparing with yours. The colors are still wonderful I think, I was pleasantly surprised when first viewing them on screen.

I think this is also down to the very professional lab where I took the film. One think I noticed is that you get strange effects if you blow the highlights on skin. May be due to the scanner though.

Incidentally, can anybody recommend particular fuji color films? The guy in the lab had some just expired at half price (forget the type unfortunately).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I highly recommend Astia 100F and Provia 400X, but any of the slide films are good. I am not really much of a fan of color negative, so I will not be able to help you much there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P.S. Lovely photos!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers... I like the that these scan so well on my cheap scanner (epson 4490). There is a print shop around the corner where I live, and the guy's work is very impressive. He scans on an imacon and prints on some mega epson printer (and is of the opinion that silver prints are still king). However, he said that with medium format film you can get very close with a 100pound epson scanner (in fact some stuff exhibited in his gallery was scanned on an epson). So even though I haven't started printing yet, I would like to keep to a medium for which this is true - and imagine slide film may be more difficult to handle. Is this true?

In any case, as you are an expert on all matters concerning film, I'd be very interested to find why you prefer slide film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha, other than the living near you and having very impressive work thing, it sounds like you are describing me! I am working as a printer and use an X5 and an Epson 9900, but I also think silver prints still look better...not in most quantifiable aspects...just in the overall naturalness and indefinables. Digital prints certainly look great though, and many people prefer them. With medium format you CAN get close with the Epson flatbed, but it takes a lot more effort and post processing, and you will not be able to get the same level of detail, dynamic range and color fidelity (or tonality if you are talking black and white).
    Slide film gives you something to work from -- you have the optimum colors right there in front of you, and the color fidelity is better. There is better contrast, saturation and naturalness to their presentation. Dynamic range is far lower, but in the range that it covers, it looks much better than color neg. When you are scanning, it is very useful to have the reference available right in front of you on the lightbox. Furthermore, most scanners have a much easier time dealing with their colors than dealing with the orange mask that all color negs have.
    Finally, I find the smaller grain and structure of the grain to be much more appealing in slide film than it is in color negative.
    On the downside, it is more difficult to shoot -- exposure must be spot on, and the small contrast range is more difficult to deal with in harsh light situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Mamiya 7, 80mm shot. Urban landscape, West L.A. I was fully across the street on the sidewalk and first the owners wife and then the owner came out yelling at me not to take a picture of their store. When I told the owner I was shooting the sunset and just including his store in the shot, he pointed down the street and said something on the order of "better sunset down the street..." I reminded him politely that I was the photographer here and I would decide where to shoot from.

Provia. Drum scanned on the Howtek 8000.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Osman, Stuart,Mikel,Pfigen...Excellent Work!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pfigen View Post
    Another Mamiya 7, 80mm shot. Urban landscape, West L.A. I was fully across the street on the sidewalk and first the owners wife and then the owner came out yelling at me not to take a picture of their store. When I told the owner I was shooting the sunset and just including his store in the shot, he pointed down the street and said something on the order of "better sunset down the street..." I reminded him politely that I was the photographer here and I would decide where to shoot from.

Provia. Drum scanned on the Howtek 8000.
    Great shot... glad you went to the trouble.

(I wonder what they had to hide? )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been away for a few days and missed some excellent photos. Congratulations Stuart, sizifo, mikel and pfigen. I enjoyed all of your photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd,

I'm not sure they had anything to hide. I've talked to Korean friends of mine and I get the idea that it's a cultural thing. They were also worried that I was somehow keeping customers from entering their store, but all through the 2 hours I was there, there was a steady stream coming and going, and since I was completely across the street, I didn't notice a single customer paying any attention to me.

There's also a lot of unfounded fear out there in the general public when anyone with a camera points it practically anywhere. I can't tell you how many paranoid people I've run into who think that somehow I'm endangering national security when I'm shooting landscapes, urban or otherwise. Just last week I was confronted by a person in a small Wizard of Oz era courtyard a few blocks from the old MGM lot in Culver City. This woman really thought I might be a terrorist. I spent about 15 minutes talking to her and by the end I think she realized that her little cottage was probably not on a terrorist hit list and if they wanted pictures of it they were already available for free from Google Earth. Not THAT really rattled her.

BTW, I had originally shot this digitally with my Canon, and this is one area where film is still miles ahead of digital. All the neon and street lights blowing out are oh so much nicer on film than the harsh cutoff of digital, so I re-shot with film and like the results much better.

Peter