Post Thanks / Like

Re: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Maggie...Amazing IQ! Beautiful Set!
    Yes! What he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    And now, Lord Bobbington, via my dad's 1970's Konica T3 SLR and 52mm Hexanon lens (I scanned the negatives last night, but I shot them last October):

Konica Bob on Photography, October, 2009

Konica Bob, October, 2009

Konica Bob Side, October, 2009

Bob Has A Flavor, October, 2009

Oh, and they're on Kodak Gold 200 film!
    I love the little tiger bob. waaaa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Looks like some possibilities there. And I know what you mean about going to SLR from rangefinder. I have trouble switching back and forth.

BTW, ironic that you have that restaurant in the second shot, as it was just referred to in this post on the Digital M thread. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=472
    Cool, I wonder where he lives. I have not yet managed to spread my attention to the digital m thread yet. I am hardly able to read the ones on analog's.

Off topic, is there a function here that you can subscribe, and when people reply you get a email notice or some sort?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khc1013 View Post
    Cool, I wonder where he lives. I have not yet managed to spread my attention to the digital m thread yet. I am hardly able to read the ones on analog's.

Off topic, is there a function here that you can subscribe, and when people reply you get a email notice or some sort?
    I don't know where he lives, but that's a funny coincidence.

As for subscribing, if you visit a thread, and make a comment, you're subscribed. You will receive and email regarding the next post following yours. If you then visit the thread, you will receive an email of the next post after your visit, regardless of whether you comment or not. There are threads that are exceptions to that. The "Positive Feedback" thread under "Buy and Sell" is an exception. If you "subscribe" by posting, you'll continue to receive emails of new posts.

Also, if you don't visit a thread you're subscribed to for a while, you'll receive a random email now and again.... just a notice of a new post on the thread. Sort of a reminder that you were subscribed. If you still don't visit for a while, you might not receive anything additional until you visit again. I don't know exactly the protocol, but that's been my experience.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

And now, Lord Bobbington, via my dad's 1970's Konica T3 SLR and 52mm Hexanon lens (I scanned the negatives last night, but I shot them last October):
    Konica Bob on Photography, October, 2009

Oh, and they're on Kodak Gold 200 film!
    Maggie: Extremely nice. Bob's a good model. I love this one. Excellent selective focus, framing, pp, and scanning.

Also, cool cameras!

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies, if I already posted these. Short term memory loss, and all. Sun stroke from today's record breaking 73 deg. F. It's been 9 months since the temperature was above 75 deg. F in Seattle. Fairbanks, Alaska, was warmer last month. What was i doing? Photos. Nikon F6; 50mm f/1.4G; Fuji Provia 400. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    My apologies, if I already posted these. Short term memory loss, and all. Sun stroke from today's record breaking 73 deg. F. It's been 9 months since the temperature was above 75 deg. F in Seattle. Fairbanks, Alaska, was warmer last month. What was i doing? Photos. Nikon F6; 50mm f/1.4G; Fuji Provia 400. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

Strong contrast color & comp In this old world image!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where he lives, but that's a funny coincidence.

As for subscribing, if you visit a thread, and make a comment, you're subscribed. You will receive and email regarding the next post following yours. If you then visit the thread, you will receive an email of the next post after your visit, regardless of whether you comment or not. There are threads that are exceptions to that. The "Positive Feedback" thread under "Buy and Sell" is an exception. If you "subscribe" by posting, you'll continue to receive emails of new posts.

Also, if you don't visit a thread you're subscribed to for a while, you'll receive a random email now and again.... just a notice of a new post on the thread. Sort of a reminder that you were subscribed. If you still don't visit for a while, you might not receive anything additional until you visit again. I don't know exactly the protocol, but that's been my experience.
    The funny thing is that I never receive anything....i am going to check my setting.

Post Thanks / Like

find it at the thread tools.
    i have to manually subscribe and the default setting is "no email notification". I got them all set up.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the little tiger bob. waaaa
    Bob sends thank you jumpy rubs to you!

Maggie: Extremely nice. Bob's a good model. I love this one. Excellent selective focus, framing, pp, and scanning.

Also, cool cameras!
    Thanks, Matt! Yeah, those old Konicas are cool- and, IMO, very attractively designed. They're like the anti-EOS camera, all angles and planes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely images Matt! Do you find that contrast is inherent in the Nikon lenses? They always seemed really contrasty to me. I like how it works in these images, but sometimes I find the nikons like Astia better than provia. Mamiya is the same way -- Astia is my E100G and E100G is my velvia in the Mamiya 7!

Maggie -- aren't Konicas great? I am really like the look of your shots. The tones and bokeh are great.
    I have just shot a roll in my Konica Hexar AF, and it is making me ask why I don't use it more often? I have a lot more keepers than usual with it....It is such a discreet and easy camera to bring along, and the look is wonderful. Here are some shots I took with it...
    These are from a coffee with my friend Lára. Lovely window light there, and the best coffee I have ever had...Icelanders know their coffee. Seriously! Don't ask my why...I guess cold and dark winters demand superior coffee...

Another friend on a drive out in the country. Taken around 11pm if you are thinking about the daylight here...

And finally, this guy always seems to pop up when I am near mirrors. I have no idea who he is, but I like his camera!

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Stuart! Yeah, Konicas are great! I had a TC and a T4 before I got my Nikon F3 and they were excellent cameras! I especially like the Konica glass- I've yet to find one that is less than outstanding.

Love the set you posted from the Hexar AF- the last two are especially delightful!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuart..Always Masterful Film Work From You! Great Set!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you guys!
    Here is another photo, but this from a 4x5 with a 1960s Schneider 240mm f/5.5 Tele-Xenar. I have some color versions too that I have not processed yet. I like this one, but it is a bit stern because I told her to stay still. I should have had her look at the camera I think...

I turned around and gave her the Hexar to shoot with, and she took this photo of me and the setup -- it was a gorgeous setting. I will post another photo of it in a moment. Yes, I know I should not raise the column like that...it was on top of a mountain and I did not have a better way to set up the tripod quickly!

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like

Took my Holga for a spin this past weekend at the Fair with some 120 Ilford B&W film. I kinda like the results.

-Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photoSmart42 View Post
    Took my Holga for a spin this past weekend at the Fair with some 120 Ilford B&W film. I kinda like the results.
    These are awesome!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Thank you guys!
    Here is another photo, but this from a 4x5 with a 1960s Schneider 240mm f/5.5 Tele-Xenar. I have some color versions too that I have not processed yet. I like this one, but it is a bit stern because I told her to stay still. I should have had her look at the camera I think...

I turned around and gave her the Hexar to shoot with, and she took this photo of me and the setup -- it was a gorgeous setting. I will post another photo of it in a moment. Yes, I know I should not raise the column like that...it was on top of a mountain and I did not have a better way to set up the tripod quickly!

Lovely photos of lovely people!

Post Thanks / Like

These are awesome!!
    Thank you! Here's a few more:

-Dragos
    Panasonic GH1/G1, Canon FTb(n)/F-1, Mamiya C330F/RB67 Pro SD, Chamonix 45N-2, Nikon F5 + Assorted Lenses

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That photo is made of 100% AWESOME.

Post Thanks / Like

That photo is made of 100% AWESOME.
    Thank you! I appreciate the comment!
    -Dragos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys!

Gentlemen....Bravo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steve and Maggie!

Dragos -- those Holga shots are great. The ones of the fountain and of the musician are my favorites I think -- they make best use of the sharp/soft dynamic you can get with the Holga. I love the chairlift running through the top of the musician image as well -- it adds a great surrealist touch to the photo...

tokengirl

There is something very serene about this photo.

tokengirl

This is great - would be fabulous in color too!

Funny, I was at the mall last night doing some errands and I *almost* bought a Holga at one of the shops. The thing that stopped me was that while they had a big pile of the 35mm version, they only has one of the 120 version and the box was all smashed up and taped together. Since these cameras are not that sturdy to begin with, I passed.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen....Bravo!
    Thank you!
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like

Dragos -- those Holga shots are great. The ones of the fountain and of the musician are my favorites I think -- they make best use of the sharp/soft dynamic you can get with the Holga. I love the chairlift running through the top of the musician image as well -- it adds a great surrealist touch to the photo...
    Thank you! I wasn't quite sure how well the 'focus-by-guess' would turn out, but for most of the shots I took it worked pretty well. I can't wait to take it out again!
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    This is great - would be fabulous in color too!

Funny, I was at the mall last night doing some errands and I *almost* bought a Holga at one of the shops. The thing that stopped me was that while they had a big pile of the 35mm version, they only has one of the 120 version and the box was all smashed up and taped together. Since these cameras are not that sturdy to begin with, I passed.
    Thank you!

I think you should have purchased that smashed up Holga. The allure of these cameras is the unpredictability of the photos they take, and I've read about users who go our of their way to compromise the quality of the camera to introduce those imperfections. I'm not quite there yet with mine

I'm going back to the Fair tomorrow night, and taking my Canon F-1 with some Tri-X 400 to take more shots. Had really good success taking it with the 35/2 downtown last time. Also taking my GH1.
    -Dragos

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What do you mean focus by guess? Your options are quite clear -- mountain, 7 people, 3 people or head and shoulders.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ricoh ff90, CVS 400

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good one, Steve! Was it originally color?

Oh, and I'll soon have a companion photo over in the film Leica thread. Heheheheh.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good one, Steve! Was it originally color?

Oh, and I'll soon have a companion photo over in the film Leica thread. Heheheheh.
    Thanks Maggie! Yes color first then converted in cs3 & sep. Lets see this "Companion" image!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's up!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Post and run! i'll be back. Early 1970's with Nikkormat and Tri-X. Scanned last night with Epson VP750. Negatives weren't stored well and probably not developed well (I did them). Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

"Spitting or Looking?"

"Just looking"; 1st Avenue before gentrification

"Diversity"; Pike Place Market

"No Photos!"; This is at the "flying fish" market, today's #1 photo op in the Pike Place Market? Not so much then.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

"No Photos!"; This is at the "flying fish" market, today's #1 photo op in the Pike Place Market? Not so much then.

These two are classics, Matt! Like something out of Frank's The Americans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They are great Matt, particularly the "diversity" ones. It is so interesting how time can change things in such a relatively short time. 35-40 years is not really very long in a lot of ways, but it looks like an entirely different time.

Here are a few more photos from the same set I posted before.

And these two are from my first time processing C-41. I still don't like C-41, but at least I can now process it for people.
    First with the 240mm f/5.5 Tele-Xenar, and the second with a 60mm Curtagon on a Rollei 6008AF.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Steve: Thank you, Sir. That photo does have a bit of that Eastern European look.

Dragos: These are very cool. I like the results too.

Ricoh ff90, CVS 400
    Steve: Very cool. Nice grainy PP. Does this mean that you unboxed the scanner?

These two are classics, Matt! Like something out of Frank's The Americans.
    Maggie: You're too kind! But, interestingly, that book is on the coffee table three feet away from me.

Lovely images Matt! Do you find that contrast is inherent in the Nikon lenses? They always seemed really contrasty to me. I like how it works in these images, but sometimes I find the nikons like Astia better than provia. Mamiya is the same way -- Astia is my E100G and E100G is my velvia in the Mamiya 7!

Maggie -- aren't Konicas great? I am really like the look of your shots. The tones and bokeh are great.
    I have just shot a roll in my Konica Hexar AF, and it is making me ask why I don't use it more often? I have a lot more keepers than usual with it....It is such a discreet and easy camera to bring along, and the look is wonderful. Here are some shots I took with it...
    These are from a coffee with my friend Lára. Lovely window light there, and the best coffee I have ever had...Icelanders know their coffee. Seriously! Don't ask my why...I guess cold and dark winters demand superior coffee...

Another friend on a drive out in the country. Taken around 11pm if you are thinking about the daylight here...

And finally, this guy always seems to pop up when I am near mirrors. I have no idea who he is, but I like his camera!

Thank you guys!

They are great Matt, particularly the "diversity" ones. It is so interesting how time can change things in such a relatively short time. 35-40 years is not really very long in a lot of ways, but it looks like an entirely different time.
    Here are a few more photos from the same set I posted before.

And these two are from my first time processing C-41. I still don't like C-41, but at least I can now process it for people.
    First with the 240mm f/5.5 Tele-Xenar, and the second with a 60mm Curtagon on a Rollei 6008AF.
    Stuart: Thanks. It's fun to go through these old photos and see where 35 years have brought us.

I think the nikon lenses are contrasty with film. I have some Velvia out being processed. I'm shooting everything that I can buy. Still trying to figure out which film(s) I like.
    You've posted some wonderful photographs. The portraits are great (including yours). Lara takes very pleasing portraits (with your help of course). Your other friend has a bit of a dark look. Very striking. I like the framing and the Brechtian shadow in the last color photo.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Post and run! i'll be back. Early 1970's with Nikkormat and Tri-X. Scanned last night with Epson VP750. Negatives weren't stored well and probably not developed well (I did them). Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

"Spitting or Looking?"

"Diversity"; Pike Place Market

Priceless Work Matt! Love These!!! (Scanner Still Sits In The Box)

Post Thanks / Like

Darn!! missed a few days and there are many lovely shots.

i am not a macro guy or never into it, but one day all the sudden i just took the fm2n with the 55/2.5 macro out just for the tampopo. shot on velvia 50.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Fremont Sunday Market. Near my office and just down from our house. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. F6; Kodak Ektar 100GX

2. F6; Fuji Velvia 100

3. F6; Kodak Ektar 100GX

4. F6; Kodak Ektar 100GX

5. F6; Fuji Velvia 100

5. F6; Fuji Velvia 100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Your neighbors have a space program!?!?!

How do you like the Ektar, Matt?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Your neighbors have a space program!?!?!

How do you like the Ektar, Matt?
    Maggie: And a statue of Lenin, also. I like this roll of Ektar. Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

Maggie: And a statue of Lenin, also. I like this roll of Ektar. Cheers, Matt.

Very Colorful shots.
    Seems like Ektar is more colorful than Velvia. I will have to try is sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am going to be pedantic for a moment, and I don't mean it to call anyone out, just so things don't get confusing. The "E" in E100G and E100GX is for Ektachrome. Ektar is the name for the color negative film, which is a different thing entirely. E100G and E100GX are really nice films -- E100G is probably closest to Provia. They are both saturated but normal films. E100GX is similar, but has a warmer color balance...Fuji does not have an equivalent. The Velvia films ARE more saturated than E100G and E100GX, but a difference can be in the scanning...
    If you guys would rather I just keep this stuff to myself and just get on with the pictures, please let me know! I will not be offended. Sometimes I lose track of what is interesting to me, and what everyone else couldn't care less about....

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to be pedantic for a moment, and I don't mean it to call anyone out, just so things don't get confusing. The "E" in E100G and E100GX is for Ektachrome. Ektar is the name for the color negative film, which is a different thing entirely. E100G and E100GX are really nice films -- E100G is probably closest to Provia. They are both saturated but normal films. E100GX is similar, but has a warmer color balance...Fuji does not have an equivalent. The Velvia films ARE more saturated than E100G and E100GX, but a difference can be in the scanning...
    If you guys would rather I just keep this stuff to myself and just get on with the pictures, please let me know! I will not be offended. Sometimes I lose track of what is interesting to me, and what everyone else couldn't care less about....
    Thanks for explaining
    If you are wondering, I do know Ektar is color negative. I am sorry if I were the one brought up this confusion here. I am just really surprised that the image from Ektar seems to be very saturated. And the velvia result I got is a bit flat in my eyes. You are right, the result may vary due to the scanning process. And even the lighting too.

I don't have much experience with kodak film in color(both negative and slide). Your information is very helpful to me. I would love to try some kodak color film in the future.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep it coming, Stuart!

Chemistry is a good thing.

So Matt, were you shooting Ektar negatives or E100GX 'chromes?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very Colorful shots.
    Seems like Ektar is more colorful than Velvia. I will have to try is sometimes.
    Keep it coming, Stuart!
    Chemistry is a good thing.
    So Matt, were you shooting Ektar negatives or E100GX 'chromes?
    Anthony/Stuart/Maggie: I'm interested in all of this! Now, I'm confused. I just checked the invoice, and I made a mistake with this label (too dependent on digital EXIF data). Saw the "Ekt..." and "100" and my brain filled in the rest! It's Ektachrome E100GX.

Anthony: BTW, nice macros posted.

Thanks everybody for calling me out. If, I still had a T-square, I'd fall on it (Architect joke). Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try again. Maggie - now, I know why I liked this roll of Ektar. I need a little more film management discipline. It was easier when all I shot was Tri-X. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. F6; Fuji Velvia 100

2. F6; Kodak Ekatchrome E100GX

3. F6; Fuji Velvia 100

4. F6; Kodak Ekatchrome E100GX

5. F6; Kodak Ekatchrome E100GX

6. F6; Kodak Ekatchrome E100GX

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Anthony...More Great Work!

Matt...Outstanding Set! The Fiddler is Tops!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony...More Great Work!

Matt...Outstanding Set! The Fiddler is Tops!!!
    Steve: Thank you! He's been around town for a while. His name is Pasquale Santos. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Taken down the street from my office. F6 with Ektachrome E100GX. Cheers, Matt.