Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Wonderful shots with that Sinar Francois! I'd love to see a large print of the snow covered trees and lake image. I also really like this Ottawa museum image...I've always enjoyed architectural photography.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks Gary!
    Ottawa is a relatively small city with some nice architecture, and is quite photogenic with its river, waterfalls, canals, public parks and gardens. Let me know if you ever come to visit.

Regarding the 43 mm for the Mamiya 7, it would interesting, but somewhat unfair to compare it to the Pentax 45 mm, because the Mamiya has the advantage of being of symmetrical design instead of being a retrofocus lens; it also only focus down to 1 meter instead of 37 cm. Moreover, the Mamiya 7 produces no vibration being a rangefinder with the shutter in the lens.

The Mamiya has also very good flare resistance, and as Stuart mentioned, it has virtually no distortion.

The only problem I've found was composition: one has to use an external finder which gives an approximate view and has some distortion. I've often ended up with unlevelled horizons when used hand-held.

nei1

Stuart that mamiya lens looks great.Im going to try a little friendly rivalry over resolution though.This is a minox shot,8x11mm,that has been scanned at roughly 3000x2000 to produce the head shot at 100%.Which Im pretty sure means that the head shot has come from a half square millimetre of 25asa film.How does that compare?
    Last edited by nei1; 24th October 2009 at 03:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Neil, I have no idea. This is the best I can do:

That is a 100% crop from the Minolta Scan Multi Pro at either 3200 or 4800dpi, the film was agfa scala. As you can see, it is easy to make out the socks and type of clothing on a moving biker that is tiny in comparison to the image. I don't doubt that the Minox is higher resolution, but 8x11mm is a bit different than a lens that covers 6x7cm, particularly one that is a 21mm equivalent in 35mm!

I know this was not your intention, so don't take this the wrong way, but I did not mean this as a pissing contest. I just love the lens!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just did a little scan on an Epson V700 of a Fuji Reala neg taken with the 43mm. Detail is 4x4 mm, so that would yield a 28"x35" enlargement at 250 dpi. Don't pay attention to the colours, they are terrible, and I lost the settings of the first scan when I did the detailed one! No doubt an Imacon would do much better.

nei1

Stuart,Id forgotton all about pissing contests, I know you wernt after one but thanks for joining in.My numbers are probably a bit out and it really dosent matter at all,but its just fun to see how much relevant detail there is in film.
    Francois,great example,what a fine lens.I can understand why you both think so much of it,all the best,Neil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Stuart,Id forgotton all about pissing contests, I know you wernt after one but thanks for joining in.My numbers are probably a bit out and it really dosent matter at all,but its just fun to see how much relevant detail there is in film.
    And I certainly didn't mean to start one either! It is amazing to see the detail in these film scan crops. Of course, always hard to separate out the contribution of various lens/camera, film and scanner impacts...but in any case, the results are impressive.

Francois,great example,what a fine lens.I can understand why you both think so much of it,all the best,Neil.
    And I'll second that comment!

I do hope my recently acquired Hasselblad 40mm CFE IF will put up a good showing, once I get a chance to really give it a workout. I haven't had it out much yet (nor the 503CWD-II for that matter).

I might run a test of the Pentax 67/45mm lens combo against the Hasselblad 501CM/40mm lens combo using the same film. That should be a fair contest...more so than going up against the legendary Mamiya 7/43mm!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No worries guys, I know that you were starting a contest, I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I was starting one!
    Gary -- from what I have heard, the 40mm IF is astoundingly sharp, so it may beat the Mamiya in that respect. That said, it is supposed to have higher distortion than the previous 40mm, which in turn has more distortion than the 43mm. The justification for this is evidently digital -- distortion can be easily corrected, while sharpness can only be tweaked so much. The closest Hasselblad lens is the 38mm Biogon in the SWC. The 43mm is evidently an updated version of the original 10 element biogon for 4x5 cameras. At least that is what Ken Rockwell says, but he is not the most reliable source I think...
    But Francois is right -- the Mamiya has an unfair advantage, particularly for distortion, given that it is a symmetrical wide angle. As such, it probably suffers from more vignetting than the 45mm pentax or other SLR wide angles, and it cannot focus as closely either. Personally, those are things I am happy to live with. I have never found the need to use it focused inside 2m or so, and vignetting does not bother me. I also have gotten used to external finders from working so much with rangefinders, and I am not so picky about exact composition to the edges of the frame. I would just crop if I had to. Overall, it is just a lens that really works for me. Other people might not fit the same mold.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuart: Smart Sharpen in PS is really good for deconvolving many scanner lenses, so is excellent IMO as part of the post-scan cleanup.

It's pretty telling that you can discern individual spokes in the front wheel. My experience is a 20x30 from the M7 allows tons of visual exploration and I love it for urban scapes. You've probably seen this before, of Jodpur, India, shot with the 150mm.

1" @ 30x40:

I love stuff like this, where you can stick your nose to the print and spend hours exploring a moment in time. There's a lot going on in this shot, from a country where much of life still happens in public view.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WOW! Jan, this is amazingly rich in details. The dynamic range is huge, and yet there is no clipping of shadows or highlights.

I doubt any digital back could have handled such a scene with comparable results.

What kind of film and scanner did you use?

Thanks,

Francois

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Francois_A View Post
    WOW! Jan, this is amazingly rich in details. The dynamic range is huge, and yet there is no clipping of shadows or highlights.

I doubt any digital back could have handled such a scene with comparable results.

Thanks,

Francois
    I agree with Francois....that is an amazing shot of the cityscape. Here's another case in which I sure wish we could see the full resolution image or print...to explore that visual detail.

Re the bicyclist....it's probably my 55 year old eyes, but I just don't see those front wheel spokes.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, here's a contribution from my collection of Mamiya images.

This was my first medium format camera....a Mamiya C220 TLR. I think this was taken with the 80mm lens. A terrific camera, IMHO. Still have it...can't think of the last time I actually used it.

Negative was scanned years ago on my trusty old Epson 2450 flat bed.

Anchorage Port area (no longer accessible to the general public...for security reasons, of course).

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful shot Gary!

Square images are sometimes static, but the big tire in the foreground adds dynamism, and makes the composition nicely proportioned.

nei1

Great shot and well printed Gary.
    This is a polaroid that I took this morning with the minolta image pro camera.

Such a shame this is coming to an end.
    Last edited by nei1; 18th December 2008 at 07:50.

nei1

This ,also taken this morning,a retry from a previous attempt,from the other side of the plants.

the actual polaroids look a little nicer than these scans,the contrast seems higher and thats affected the colours a little.
    Last edited by nei1; 18th December 2008 at 07:45.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tmax-100 and undiluted, stock XTOL. Scanned on my Imacon. It's only 3200 dpi (though pretty well defined), and now that I have a beefier computer I might try scanning it as 3 24x70 stripes at higher resolution using the 135 strip holder, and then stitch it back together with PS CS4's Photomerge. That's not as easy as it sounds though, I suspect I'd need to create some sort of jig to obtain sufficiently accurate alignment.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you guys are getting me inspired. i may dig out a few 2-1/4 chestnuts from the old days and light up the scanner

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sinar F2, Schneider 90mm, Ilford FP4+ processed in XTOL 1+1

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Tmax-100 and undiluted, stock XTOL. Scanned on my Imacon. It's only 3200 dpi (though pretty well defined), and now that I have a beefier computer I might try scanning it as 3 24x70 stripes at higher resolution using the 135 strip holder, and then stitch it back together with PS CS4's Photomerge. That's not as easy as it sounds though, I suspect I'd need to create some sort of jig to obtain sufficiently accurate alignment.
    Depending on which films, scanning a 6X6+ frame over 3200 dpi and you'll just be scanning grain. My 949 only goes to 3200 for MF also. The files are already huge. I had a MF 4800 dpi dedicated scanner once ... it took forever to scan at that resolution, and the files were no better than @ 3200. Big waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like

This ,also taken this morning,a retry from a previous attempt,from the other side of the plants.

the actual polaroids look a little nicer than these scans,the contrast seems higher and thats affected the colours a little.
    not quite over as of yet

www.polapremium.com

they just released some more spectra film..

nei1

Thanks for the link Viablex 1,have been there before but the soft version is new to me,the price is new too!Has to be expected though,it will always be worth it.Wether I can afford it is another question.I have 8 packs left.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link Viablex 1,have been there before but the soft version is new to me,the price is new too!Has to be expected though,it will always be worth it.Wether I can afford it is another question.I have 8 packs left.
    I hear you it is expensive, I cleaned out my local walgreens, I hear that fuji will be marketing their instax products now. But I just bought an old sx-70 and some film for that!!

keep them coming very cool!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another from the Mamiya TLR. I really need to dig this camera out of the closet and start shooting again.

C220, 80mm lens (I think), B&W film (most likely Ilford FP4), Epson 2450 scan.

Cleveland Ohio.

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like

Place St Sulphice,Paris.

Nikon Fe/50mm/HP5 - scan from print.

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful image William!
    One does not need ultimate sharpness to create an evocative image!

I am intrigued by the black margins; Is this a scan of a palladium print?

All the best,

Francois

hvk

Abandoned Steelworks in Fagersta, Sweden.

Mamiya 645AFD with 45/2.8. Tmax 100 pushed to 400ASA. Scanned on Imacon 848.

/Henrik

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary: Love the Austere Treetrunk Landscape

William & HVK: Love the way the photos follow each other
    The Dark Side of the Nun being followed by Confirmation Angels who Stumble into HVK's
    Abandoned Steelwork 'symbolic crosses' ....
    Daphne Du Maurier meets Bergman in Film...

the ever Whacked Helen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Love the way the photos follow each other
    The Dark Side of the Nun being followed by Confirmation Angels who Stumble into HVK's Abandoned Steelwork 'symbolic crosses' ....
    Daphne Du Maurier meets Bergman in Film...

the ever Whacked Helen
    Can't believe I didn't see that (lack of imagination or insight).....thank you Helen for opening my eyes!

Gary Benson (aka Pumpkin Head)
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful image William!
    One does not need ultimate sharpness to create an evocative image!

I am intrigued by the black margins; Is this a scan of a palladium print?

All the best,

Francois
    Francois,

Thanks for the kind comment.

This is simply a scan of a print. The black borders are the result of myself filing out the neg carrier to be able to produce a black border. In this case I decided to include the whole border which explains the uneven structure.

William
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

william... cool pic
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rollei Infrared rated at 12 ISO, 8.5 min in HC-110 dilution B.
    Mamiya 7II, 65mm with B+W 92 IR filter.

Post Thanks / Like

Olympus MJU II/ Tri-X

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

F3HP w/ 50mm @ f/1.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool shots Jeremy -- love the second one.

I was shooting the R9 again recently...I have not been using it very much, but my lord, the lenses are so nice. These aren't the greatest pictures, but I love the way the latest 50mm summilux R looks. This is the E60 version. Here are two taken wide open:

I have the 50mm f/1.4 ASPH for the M, but I really like the way the 50mm f/1.4 E60 draws -- it is sharper than the old Summilux M (and doesn't have the ring bokeh), but not blazingly sharp like the summilux ASPH. It is the perfect balance in my view...

Here is one from a few years ago -- it has the great balance of very sharp in focus, but really gorgeous bokeh.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 50mm f/1.4 ASPH for the M, but I really like the way the 50mm f/1.4 E60 draws -- it is sharper than the old Summilux M (and doesn't have the ring bokeh), but not blazingly sharp like the summilux ASPH. It is the perfect balance in my view...
    Stuart, you might like the Hexanon 50/1.2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heh...I sold it. I did like it though!

Post Thanks / Like

More fun with the Nikon F3HP.

Post Thanks / Like

I failed to resist temptation and got my self a Pentax 67 with 105mm lens. Fantastic camera and the ease of handling is just perfect to me.

Here is a shot from my first roll ( Trix @400). These big negs are nothing short of fantastic.

Hope you enjoy.

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

Another one from the Pentax 67. TriX @ 400 in Xtol.

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice William -- I think people believe the mystique of medium format comes from the greater resolution over 35mm...I think it is more of a function of depth of field.

Post Thanks / Like

Very quiet around here...

Pentax 67/105mm/Tri-X.

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

gorgeous!

nei1

Really nice work William,have never used 6x7 and I really like the proportions,more so than 4x3 which is odd as 4x3 is nearer to the 3x2 that Im used to.There is some thing about 4x3 which both jars and bores.Your format has been helped though by the elegant photos youve put inside,.....Neil.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stuart and Neil.

I feel very confortable about the 6x7 format though this is the first time. I have shot mostly 24x36 and 6x6 before and this is a nice change.
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

Well, back to some 6x6 work with a quiet moment before bedtime.

Hasselblad/80mm/HP5

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Superb images William!
    Film rocks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Francois. Very appreciated.

Yes, film really rocks. I've put my digi camera on the shelf since a few weeks and now only using film and there is just so much pleasure. Back to editing on a contact sheet with a loupe and pencil = pure joy. Digi is of course just probably as good but I'm getting so much more from shooting film which I can't really explain for the moment.

Ciao
    W
    William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad / 60mm/ Tri-X. My oldest son in the garden.

William
    Website
    FB Page

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emmawest72 View Post
    I failed to resist temptation and got my self a Pentax 67 with 105mm lens. Fantastic camera and the ease of handling is just perfect to me.
    Welcome to the P67 club!! I love this camera....I only wish someone would make a MFDB for it. I know, probably not possible.....I'm dreaming...I should just enjoy it for what it is...a GREAT MF film camera.

I've got two P67 bodies, numerous finders and the 45, 55, 75, 75 Shift, 90, 105, 135 macro, 165, 200 and 300 EDIF lenses for it. Yeah, it's true, I'm a Pentax 67 addict (ok, I'm a gear addict in general). In any case, you will love this camera....great lenses too.

Here's one that I took with the P67 and 105mm lens many, many years ago.

Enjoy that P67.....I know you will!!!

Gary Benson
    Eagle River, Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just Simply Beautiful....William & Gary

Film is just sooo Lush, Beautiful & Organic
    and quite forgiving

Digital can be Quite Coool but Film is SUPREME

The Pleasure factor in Shooting Film & Musing is sooo Addictive and Meditative...
    Last edited by helenhill; 14th January 2009 at 14:56.

Post Thanks / Like

Helen - thanks a lot.

Gary: it's indeed a great cam! I don't mind that there is no digi back for it as the pleasure of shooting different films far outweighs the digi option. And there is no way I could afford a digi back anyway.
    The P67 and it's lenses are more than reasonably priced and I bought mine second had in pristine condition ( body, ttl prism and 105mm) for the price of a digi compact camera. What more could one ask for?

I might get another lens later on, but for the moment I'm happy with the 105mm. I have so many things I would like to shoot with this bad boy. So the only thing I will buy is insane amounts fo film...

Btw, can you recommend a tripod and ball head for the P67 without having to pay Ferrari prices?

Cheers
    W
    William
    Website
    FB Page