Site Sponsors
Page 30 of 85 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 4228

Thread: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

Good stuff, Matt! You know, just the signs in the photos would keep an historian busy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Some more from my past. Pike Place Market area in the early 1970's (before it was saved). Nikkormat; Tri-X Pan. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Matt, love the nostalgia & look! A young genius at work!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Matt, love the nostalgia & look! A young genius at work!
    Steve: Thanks! (Check's in the mail)

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's some shots from the F3, taken back in the 1980's, with the Nikkor 28/2.8:

Dart Driving Lara, June, 1989

Dan and Mark's Kitchen, Minneapolis, MN, 1986

Bonnie By the Barn, Craig, NE, 1986

The films used were, in order, T-Max, Tri-X and Tech Pan.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Here's some shots from the F3, taken back in the 1980's, with the Nikkor 28/2.8
    The films used were, in order, T-Max, Tri-X and Tech Pan.
    Maggie: Well done! A Dodge dart! Your negs are in pristine condition. Well scanned and processed. Wow, do you actually remember the lens? Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maggie..Cool Set!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maggie: Well done! A Dodge dart! Your negs are in pristine condition. Well scanned and processed. Wow, do you actually remember the lens? Cheers, Matt.

Maggie..Cool Set!
    Thanks, guys!!

Matt, yeah it's easy for me to remember the lens! I only had the one!!! (Well, I had a 50/1.7, but it got left in Minnesota that trip, so all I had was the 28!) Oh, and I have spent hours spotting my scans in Photoshop, so sadly, no, my negs aren't in pristine condition. I'm just obsessive!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys!!

Matt, yeah it's easy for me to remember the lens! I only had the one!!! (Well, I had a 50/1.7, but it got left in Minnesota that trip, so all I had was the 28!) Oh, and I have spent hours spotting my scans in Photoshop, so sadly, no, my negs aren't in pristine condition. I'm just obsessive!
    Maggie: I had several lenses, but, i kept hocking them (and the guitars) for tuition and 0ther early 1970's essentials. Excellent job with the "spotting"!

These look like, i could have taken them with a 28mm lens? Early 1970's, Nikkormat and Tri-X 400.

This is the North end of the Pike Place Market (where the spiffy gazebo with the neon is now). That's the original Starbuck's on the corner (1971-1976; replaced by a condo). The one the tourists photograph, and think is the first one, isn't (that's where the Cast Iron Maidens always play).

Looking the other way towards the Pike Place Market (must have been a Sunday).

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maggie: I had several lenses, but, i kept hocking them (and the guitars) for tuition and 0ther early 1970's essentials. Excellent job with the "spotting"!

These look like, i could have taken them with a 28mm lens? Early 1970's, Nikkormat and Tri-X 400.

This is the North end of the Pike Place Market (where the spiffy gazebo with the neon is now). That's the original Starbuck's on the corner (1971-1976; replaced by a condo). The one the tourists photograph, and think is the first one, isn't (that's where the Cast Iron Maidens always play).

Cheers, Matt

Nice shots Matt. I especially like the reflective road surface in the second one. BTW, I spent the summer of 1976 in Seattle, actually, I lived out near Snohomish, and was building houses in a then very rural Lake Stevens. I'd go to the Mariners games on weekends, and hung around downtown. Your old shots conjure lots of memories.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Matt! The healing spot brush in Photoshop is one of the greatest inventions ever, IMO! I sold a lot of guitars when I was young, too. But eventually wound up with a Nikon and a Stratocaster that I've still got, even though now I use Leicas and Telecasters!

Love those vintage shots of your neighborhood, and yeah, those totally look like 28mm frames to me. The geometry of the painted lines playng with the street grid and the edges of the buildings really makes that first shot a formal delight and the light on the cobblestones in the second is just sensuous! They'd make a great diptych, with both printed at around 16x24, I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

The nephew: Rolleiflex and Acros 100.

My friend, LinZ: Rolleiflex and Acros 100

Music portrait: Hasselblad, 110 planar, and Acros 100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

Very nice shots. (as is the one of the band in the Nikon forum). Very cute friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Very nice shots. (as is the one of the band in the Nikon forum). Very cute friend.
    Thanks, Lloyd. I've been out of the "game" for a bit as life has gotten in the way, but it's really fun to grab a sheet of negs and get back into it. These are all images from 2009 that I'm finally getting around to scanning.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Lloyd. I've been out of the "game" for a bit as life has gotten in the way, but it's really fun to grab a sheet of negs and get back into it. These are all images from 2009 that I'm finally getting around to scanning.
    Well keep 'em coming!

(BTW, I'll see your 2009, and raise you 60 years... just spent part of the past two days scanning negs (ok positives, truth be told) from 1949!! (Ok, they're my father's slides, but...))

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few more new scans. Photos from the early 1970's with a Nikkormat and Tri-X. Cheers, Matt. I'll see if i can shoot a little new film this weekend.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Found a new one! Cheers, Matt

Nikon F6; Fuji Velvia 100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A few more new scans. Photos from the early 1970's with a Nikkormat and Tri-X. Cheers, Matt. I'll see if i can shoot a little new film this weekend.

Love the old stuff Matt!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Found a new one! Cheers, Matt

Nikon F6; Fuji Velvia 100

Beautiful!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, this might just be my favorite photo of yours. Technically excellent, emotionally complex and just plain beautiful. Well done, young Matt!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, this might just be my favorite photo of yours. Technically excellent, emotionally complex and just plain beautiful. Well done, young Matt!!!
    +1 from me. The whole set is nice (as is the color from the F6), but this is special.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, that really is a lovely one Matt! I love that they had to advertise hot and cold water. We have come a long way. That said, I lived for a year in Russia, and where I lived we were without hot water for six months and without ANY water for two months. It was mostly spread out over different periods, but when you have to get up in the morning and boil 4 liters of water just to take a bath you start to appreciate the simple things we don't even bother to think about!

Speaking of hot water, here are some from an abandoned section of the geothermal plant not too far from Reykjavk...

And here are two of some friends when we went out for a drive. The cottongrass is in bloom, and it is really beautiful. Sadly, I went for a walk and did not bring another roll of film, so these were the only two I could take! I wish I could have gotten more of the closeup, because I love the setting. The light was great too, as it was around 11:30pm and the sun had just gone behind the mountains...everything was softly lit.

My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuart, would it be inappropriate to mention how much I have come to love you and your photography?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots Matt. I especially like the reflective road surface in the second one. BTW, I spent the summer of 1976 in Seattle, actually, I lived out near Snohomish, and was building houses in a then very rural Lake Stevens. I'd go to the Mariners games on weekends, and hung around downtown. Your old shots conjure lots of memories.
    Lloyd: Thanks! Lake Stevens is all built up now. We probably walked by each other at some time!

Thanks, Matt! The healing spot brush in Photoshop is one of the greatest inventions ever, IMO! I sold a lot of guitars when I was young, too. But eventually wound up with a Nikon and a Stratocaster that I've still got, even though now I use Leicas and Telecasters!
    Love those vintage shots of your neighborhood, and yeah, those totally look like 28mm frames to me. The geometry of the painted lines playng with the street grid and the edges of the buildings really makes that first shot a formal delight and the light on the cobblestones in the second is just sensuous! They'd make a great diptych, with both printed at around 16x24, I reckon.
    Maggie: Thank you. I use the one in LR3. I'll have to try Photoshop's. It'd be interesting to see how these photos print.

Jeremy: +1. (insert thumbup here)

Well keep 'em coming!
    (BTW, I'll see your 2009, and raise you 60 years... just spent part of the past two days scanning negs (ok positives, truth be told) from 1949!! (Ok, they're my father's slides, but...))
    Lloyd: Very cool. Please share some, if you can? From what you'd posted before, your father was an excellent photographer.

Love the old stuff Matt!
    Beautiful!
    Steve: Thanks!. (insert smile here) Hopefully, my scanning trip down memory lane's OK? I also need to get out and shoot more with the F6.

+1 from me. The whole set is nice (as is the color from the F6), but this is special.
    Lloyd: Thanks again!

Maggie: Thank you! I'll tell him, next time i see him. I wonder if old Matt would have took that photo? I'd like to think so.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Yes, that really is a lovely one Matt! I love that they had to advertise hot and cold water. We have come a long way. That said, I lived for a year in Russia, and where I lived we were without hot water for six months and without ANY water for two months. It was mostly spread out over different periods, but when you have to get up in the morning and boil 4 liters of water just to take a bath you start to appreciate the simple things we don't even bother to think about!
    Speaking of hot water, here are some from an abandoned section of the geothermal plant not too far from Reykjavk...

And here are two of some friends when we went out for a drive. The cottongrass is in bloom, and it is really beautiful. Sadly, I went for a walk and did not bring another roll of film, so these were the only two I could take! I wish I could have gotten more of the closeup, because I love the setting. The light was great too, as it was around 11:30pm and the sun had just gone behind the mountains...everything was softly lit.
    Stuart, would it be inappropriate to mention how much I have come to love you and your photography?
    Stuart: Thank you and +1 (what Maggie said).
    That's true about the simple things we take for granted. Although, experiencing the downs make the ups better, and are usually better stories.

The geothermal plant's very sculptural and the cotton grass is beautiful. Excellent B&W. Cheers, Matt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maggie -- no, I don't think it would be inappropriate! Thank you very much! And thanks to you too Matt! I hope to go out and visit both places again soon, they are both less than an hour from the city.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stunning!

tokengirl

I love this one.

tokengirl

Pity you didn't have more film with you, these are stunning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you both very much! I think I will go back there tonight....hopefully I will get some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, here are two more from the same setting that I took last night.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Really nice Stuart. I really like that second one!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart: Life looks tough! You have some very stylish friends. Nicely captured and understated pp. That cottongrass really makes a great foreground.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Elegant & Lovely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you all! I am glad you like them...I am pretty fond of the first one...

Matt -- it's mostly the lab and printing service...it puts me in touch with a lot of artists and creative types and they tend to be very well styled! Also, I think people here tend to have fewer clothes, but nicer ones than in the States. It is not really a stigma to be seen in the same thing twice here, so people focus on buying very nice clothes and wearing them frequently.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Two more gorgeous frames, Stuart! Keep 'em coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff, Stuart!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been avoiding color slide scans, so, I tried a few last night. Cheers, Matt

1982, Rome, Nikkormat, Ektachrome

Mid-1990's, West of San Francisco, Nikkormat, Ektachrome

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt....Gorgeous!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very painterly colors in both pix, Matt. Really, really gorgeous. I could see both of them as big, Gicle canvas prints on each wall of a corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, they look great Matt. I particularly like that second one. I'd love to see that part of California!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt, 2nd one is stunning!

TXP 320 developed with Pyrocat
    shot with Hasselblad & 50/2.8

TXP 320 developed with Pyrocat
    shot with Hasselblad & 80/2.8

TXP 320 developed with Rodinal
    shot with Hasselblad & 50/2.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those are beautiful Jim! I really like the look you are getting with pyro. Be careful though! That stuff is really not good for you. At all. I hope you are wearing gloves, an apron and glasses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are gorgeous!

What's TPX? I Googled it and came up with almost nothing. Is it Tri-X? Oh, and what's pyrocat, aside from something that must be terribly nasty?

Safety aside, I think I prefer the tones and edges you got with the Rodinal frame. By just a hair, tho'.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the look you are getting with pyro. Be careful though! That stuff is really not good for you. At all.
    Please explain why pyro is any worse for you than many of the other developers we use in analog processes. I disagree and have heard this many times before: that pyro is worse. I was trained to work in a chemistry/neuroscience laboratory and have spent much time with MSDS sheets. There is no more danger using pyro than any other developer when simple and effective safety measures are used.

Here's a discussion of pyro developers printed in View Camera magazine:

"Pyrogallic acid is toxic but one must be careful in interpreting MSDS: mostly they are written for industrial users of substances who use and store them in very large quantity.

Pyro is a sensitizer and can cause very strong skin reactions. It should be kept out of the eyes for the same reason. It is capable of causing life threatening damage if ingested in fairly large quantity. It will irrate the lungs and respiratory system if inhaled. Pyro can penetrate the skin but so can many other substances used in photography.

There have been NO studies of the chronic effects of Pyro exposure. Pyro is no more hazardous than several other developing agents. It should be treated with respect but there is no unusual hazard in using it.

Since airborne Pyro is dangerous to breath in its wise to mix Pyro developers while wearing a dust mask and facial protection. You should wear nitrile gloves. Try to avoid getting the stuff into the air. It is in light flakes which become airborne easily so some care is needed.

Mixed Pyro developers are only moderately hazardous but its a good idea not to get your hands into it. Use nitrile gloves (latex is not good enough and some people are sensitive to latex). You don't need a dust mask to use the mixed developer, it is only the airborne flakes which are hazardous. Another reason for using gloves is that Pyro produces a very persistent brown stain on anything it is on when exposed to the air including your hands and cloths."

From http://www.viewcamera.com/pyro.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds a lot nastier than Rodinal or D-76.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds a lot nastier than Rodinal or D-76.
    Rodinal's active ingredient (p-aminophenol): Possible mutagen and teratogen. Risk of irreversible effects. Harmful if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through skin. Eye, skin and respiratory irritant.

D-76 active ingredients (metol & hydroquinone): Toxic. Harmful by ingestion and if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Danger of serious long-term effects by repeated subacute exposure. Possible sensitizer. & Possible carcinogen. Severe skin irritant; allergen. Harmful by inhalation and ingestion. May cause sensitization. Eye and respiratory irritant.

Maybe it just sounds nastier because no one talks about Rodinal or D-76. The oral LD50 for metol is actually worse (takes less chemical to reach a lethal dose 50% of the time for a mouse when administered orally) than that of catechol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jeremy -- I am no scientist, I just go by the MSDS, and pyrocatechol has a nasty one, especially since most people mix it from a powder as you mention. Rodinal is also nasty stuff, but it is used in minute quantities and is already in a liquid concentrate. I would certainly agree with you that you should wear a dust mask, rubber apron, glasses and nitrile gloves when mixing, as well as all but the dust mask when using the liquids. That is what I do. I also choose to use Xtol because it is a very good developer that is also one of the least toxic, being based on Phenidone and sodium ascorbate.

I would also say that since there are no longterm studies on the effects of pyro that makes it even more risky as a developer if you are going to be using it regularly!

P.S. Here is an excerpt of the MSDS:
    "Potential Acute Health Effects:
    Extremely hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Very hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer, permeator). The amount of tissue damage depends on length of contact. Eye contact can result in corneal damage or blindness. Skin contact can produce inflammation and blistering. Inhalation of dust will produce irritation to gastro-intestinal or respiratory tract, characterized by burning, sneezing and coughing. Severe over- exposure can produce lung damage, choking, unconsciousness or death. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally, blistering.
    Potential Chronic Health Effects:
    Extremely hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation. Very hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer, permeator). CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available. The substance is toxic to lungs, mucous membranes. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Repeated exposure of the eyes to a low level of dust can produce eye irritation. Repeated skin exposure can
    produce local skin destruction, or dermatitis. Repeated inhalation of dust can produce varying degree of respiratory irritation or lung damage. Repeated or prolonged inhalation of dust may lead to chronic respiratory irritation."
    http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924768

Anyway, I think we would all agree that you need to be very careful with any of this stuff. I used to be more cavalier about this stuff (but still fairly careful) until I started the lab and now I am around it every day. It did not take me very long to develop a persistent rash on my hand, I still do not know if it was from the latex gloves or a solution. Now I have read more on darkroom safety and am always in nitrile gloves, and apron and glasses, and I have a broad-spectrum respirator for mixing powdered chems.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I love how much I learn hanging out here. Thanks, guys!

Oh, and what's TPX?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TXP -- unfortunately it is now discontinued. It was a 120 and 4x5 version of Tri-X that had slightly different gradation than TX -- it was more geared towards studio photography. I believe it had better highlight separation but more likelihood to blow the highlights in difficult light. I never shot it too much, but it certainly works well for Jim!