The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More and more film fun with something other than a Leica M

emmawest72

Thanks a lot Stuart. Very much appreciated.

As I have some time today,here is another one with a Nikon FE/ 50mm and Kodak TriX.

Francois_A

Nikon FE, 50mm f/1.8, TMX-100. Taken during the first day of the 1998 Ice Storm that affected most of the province of Quebec and the east of Ontario.

emmawest72

A little portrait.

Hassy 500cm/80mm/Ilford HP5. The scan is really not to my liking but my epson 2450 is getting tired...

Francois_A

Chamonix 4x5, Schneider 110 XL, Ektachrome 100.
My very first image with the Chamonix and 110 XL. Perspective is slightly overcorrected.

Stuart Richardson

The 43mm is my favorite super wide angle for any system -- nothing comes close in my experience. Here is a black and white conversion from E6 -- this is in the Faeroe Islands, a town called Gjogv.

bensonga

The 43mm is my favorite super wide angle for any system -- nothing comes close in my experience.
Yup, the Mamiya 43mm is very impressive. But I've always thought the Pentax 67 with Pentax SMC 45mm does a pretty good job too. :)

Here's one taken with Ilford FP4, scanned with my old Epson 2450.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Francois_A

Museum of Civilization in Ottawa. Sinar F2, 210 Sinaron, TMAX-100. A complicated combination of tilt and swing to get everything in focus, which took me forever to figure out!

bensonga

Museum of Civilization in Ottawa. Sinar F2, 210 Sinaron, TMAX-100. A complicated combination of tilt and swing to get everything in focus, which took me forever to figure out!
Wonderful shots with that Sinar Francois! I'd love to see a large print of the snow covered trees and lake image. I also really like this Ottawa museum image...I've always enjoyed architectural photography.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga

This is a 100% crop at 3200dpi -- we are maxing out the scanner here:
Stuart,

The more I study this, the more impressed I am with the resolution...especially considering how far away from the camera those buildings etc appear to have been. It must be a very fine lens indeed!

I would love to see a head to head test between the Mamiya 43mm and the Pentax 45mm. Maybe we can meet up some day for a shoot out. And while we're at it, might as well throw the Hasselblad 40mm CFE IF into the mix as well. :thumbs:

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Last edited:

bensonga

And a 100% crop from the 2400 dpi scan.

Pentax 67....still one of my favorites.

Gary
I realized later that I had taken a 100% crop from a 7x9 inch image that had been resized at 360 for printing....so it wasn't a 100% crop of the original 2400 dpi scan file.

Here it is.....

Gary

Stuart Richardson

Hey Gary,
That second crop does look better! I think the slight fuzziness in the crop from the mamiya is from the film (E6, not black and white), as well as from being shot handheld. I have not shot with the Pentax, but I do know that the Mamiya easily beats the 40mm Super Angulon for the Rollei, as well as the 40mm distagon CFE (non IF) that I tried. I would love to meet up with you to do a comparison. When are you next in Iceland? ;) The amazing thing about the Mamiya is not just the sharpness, which goes from the center to the far corners, even wide open, but the utter lack of distortion. Straight lines stay STRAIGHT.
For example:

Or this one -- notice that the little girl at left is standing straight, not bulging toward the edge of the frame like she would be using a wide angle that has barrel distortion (for example, any 35mm super wide zoom)

The lack of geometric distortion makes it look less wide than it is, in certain cases. It will let you get a whole landscape in, without it looking like you used a super wide angle.